Author Topic: Baby Oil?  (Read 9648 times)

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Baby Oil?
« on: October 12, 2006, 07:57:17 AM »
I read in an article the other day that baby oil is supposed to be
an excellent alternative to shaving cream/gel.

It's supposed to provide excellent gliding (of the blade) and when you're done
and wash it off you also don't need to apply any after-shave products or creams.
According to the article, baby oil is a better lubricant (for shaving) than most
common shaving creams and gels and you get considerably less irritation and/or nicks.

I'm curious, have any of you tried this before?

I'm going to try it myself this week, and I shall let you know how it went.

Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Baby Oil?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 11:12:17 AM »
I found an article on shaving your head with baby oil.  Here's snippit of the article:

You use baby oil in the same way as most shaving oils: after thoroughly wetting the skin surface, put 4 or 5 drops of baby oil in your hand with a tiny bit of water, and rub it in to your skin. You only need a small amount of baby oil to be effective; if you use too much, it will tend to clog your razor very quickly, and it won't provide any additional benefit. Once you've thoroughly rubbed it in, shave normally

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.headshaver.org/reviews/babyoil.html
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 02:21:50 PM »
I finally bought some baby oil and tried it. Check the reviews section for my
review on baby oil...

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=188.0
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 05:53:21 PM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 02:27:29 PM »
Awesome review Harry!  Thanks!  I posted it in the Blog as well.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

tsshaver1

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 06:32:05 PM »

I have used baby oil in the past. I think it works fine. I have also used olive oil which I like better.

However, in my opinion the absolute best product for shaving your head is hair conditioner. Wet your head ans apply no more than a dime size or less dab of condtioner and rub it into the stubble, then shave. I do not need to use anything else

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 11:15:34 AM »
my question is this. i already have an oily scalp by the afternoon. wouldn't that make it worse? what can i do to help with that problem?

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline seanc7nyc

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 11:19:10 AM »
Sweet pose, zoolander.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 12:48:11 PM »
I used conditioner for a long time, and it worked well until I started to use HeadBlade.  It seem like it didn't lube enough, so I switched back to shaving creams/gells until I read the post here about the baby oil.  Been using the baby oil for the most part all the time.  I will use comfort shaving cream every so often.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 05:02:26 PM »
my question is this. i already have an oily scalp by the afternoon. wouldn't that make it worse? what can i do to help with that problem?

Hm, then I would suggest you use baby oil as a shaving cream substitute, and when you're done shaving, just remove all the excess oil with a (liquid) soap. You can then also use alcohol on your head after that - that would dry your skin even further...
Who loves ya, baby?