Author Topic: affordable care act health insurance.  (Read 2553 times)

Offline scooby

• Sly
affordable care act health insurance.
« on: December 09, 2019, 08:28:04 AM »
does anyone have affordable care act health ins. and how is it when filing taxes with it.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: affordable care act health insurance.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »
I think with all private insurance, ACA included, you will get a statement of proof of insurance that you need to file with your taxes. You can also write off some of the costs, but speak to your tax person about that.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: affordable care act health insurance.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 06:40:26 PM »
The ACA requires your insurance carrier to send you a statement showing the months you were covered.  This was originally in the law because there was a financial penalty for not having insurance (the individual mandate and penalty).  Congress changed the penalty to zero, but did not eliminate the reporting requirement for insurers.

As to tax implications, I don't know how the ACA is handled.  Private insurance premiums are not considered part of your medical spending for federal taxes, but you should consult a tax expert about ACA insurance.  If your state has an income tax, those rules may be different than the federal as well.  My state has a lower threshold for medical cost deductions (2% of adjusted income) and allows insurance premiums to be included as medical expense if the premiums are paid with after-tax dollars.