Author Topic: Fired at 57!  (Read 5661 times)

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Fired at 57!
« on: October 14, 2021, 05:06:37 AM »
I find myself, at the age of 57, unemployed.

This is life in tech. If you are not upper management and you hit your mid to late 50s, you might as well be dead!

I won't get into the details, it's irrelevant at this point. It was legal, but certainly NOT fair. Replaced with someone 25 years younger, a friend of a friend of the CEO.

I am too young for retirement, although I could kinda sorta scrape by if I move into a studio apartment, or move out of the city (and away from my friends).

The possibility of getting hired, by someone else, this close to mandatory retirement age (67) will be difficult, but maybe not impossible.

I am eligible for unemployment 6 month, roughly 40% of my gross), and get severance pay that is taxed lower than income.

Emotionally, I am not ready to do anything else. Working through almost 2 years of COVID-19... took a lot out of me.

I do have a sort of a side business that pays me enough to cover 1 weeks rent, so that's not really something I can count on.

I am still in the office, it's my last few hours. Nothing left to do. The dept. head is home, in quarantine, having said goodbye via WhatsApp. The new guy is on his phone... watching vids.

Just still in shock, like almost it wasn't real. But it's really real.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Fired at 57!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »
I’m sorry.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 10:47:31 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Seems there is little loyalty or caring from employers anymore.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 07:35:53 AM »
Sorry to hear that @DoberDaddy

Things are somewhat different in the USA.  First, we do not have a mandatory retirement age for almost all jobs.

But I do know guys here that work in Tech and find regular contract/temporary employment, and have more free-lance work than they can take.  I do not know if that is even an option in Israel.

I was able to take an early retirement at 55 that resulted in a pension.  The pension was enough that I could "live" on it, but not very well.  I was able to take on a contract position for a project that lasted 3 years. When the project completed at the end of the three years, I was offered full time employment with the company at age 58. In terms of financial, I have been able to make more every year since my retirement than I made before retirement.  If things work out, I plan to work here until age 65.

Take some time off first, but I hope things work out for you and you also are able to do better than you were before.
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 09:28:03 PM »
Sorry for the loss of your job . Don’t give up , things can get better. If you have your health you have everything .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 11:30:38 PM »
Thanks guys!

@slybeard

Well, there is not much freelance work in IT. Although there might be the potential for contract work. To be honest I am really sick and tired of this industry.

I am tired of working for companies that provide little or no benefit to anyone but investors looking to cash in, while employees are treated like cattle.

I am going to make an attempt to make the hair replacement gig a permanent thing. I am now a partner in the business, having purchased a minor stake in the company, and will be working as their Client Services Director.

I gave them a year. If after a year I am not able to make enough money to stay to maintain my current (or close to) standard of living (which is not extravagant by any means), I will look for something else.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 07:08:53 AM »
I do hope it works out for you.  Your personal experience with the hair system, after several years as a sly guy, gives you some unique perspectives that should be a great asset for the company.  As well as a model for their promotions.
SlyBeard

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 09:10:53 AM »
Sorry DoberDaddy....Wishing the best for you going forward. You're always welcome to come here just to vent.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 03:30:30 PM »
Sorry to read that this has happened to you.  I hope the hair loss job works out  O0
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 11:29:37 PM »
Thanks again, everyone for your support!

@slymyke your beard... it is AWE INSPIRING!!!!!

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 02:12:31 PM »
Thanks again, everyone for your support!

@slymyke your beard... it is AWE INSPIRING!!!!!

Mine?  I think you tagged someone else, so not sure.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 01:10:40 AM »
@slymyke

Yes, YOURS! No mistake.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 03:20:27 PM »
@slymyke

Yes, YOURS! No mistake.

Thank you! I think you're tagging someone else so wasn't sure as my username isn't the same as my display name.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 06:22:04 PM »
@slymyke

Yes, YOURS! No mistake.

Thank you! I think you're tagging someone else so wasn't sure as my username isn't the same as my display name.

@SlyMike to tag you use must use uppercase S and M
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 11:52:47 PM »
Ooops!