Author Topic: Thinning... go bald or hair transplant?  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Robson

• Learning the way of Sly
Thinning... go bald or hair transplant?
« on: April 02, 2019, 03:31:58 AM »
Hi guys..

I'm 27 and thinning :( My hairline has receded very badly since I was about 15. When I shower I can see approx 30 thin hairs and I know going bald is inevitable... But the problem isn't with going bald at some point. I'm ok to overcome the stress. What I am obsessed with is my weird head shape. I understand I have a heart shaped head or at least that's what my optician said when I was buying glasses. I have these large sides, (temporalis muscles?), I'm sure you can see them. Also had a chronic sinusitis when I was 10 thus my forehead is weird af.

I'm so scared I will look like a minotaur! How bad do you think it looks? Should I go bald and stop worrying or should I think about hair transplants?

Thanks

Offline JohnRa

• Sly Jr.
Re: Thinning... go bald or hair transplant?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 05:53:11 AM »
Hi. Welcome to the group. My issue with hair transplants (I never had one) is that there's nothing stopping the natural hair behind the transplant from falling out. So, you get a transplant, have more hair fall out, need another transplant. Then you have to chase that. There's also the scarring. Look up hair transplant scars.

For shaving, if you're concerned about it, get a buzz cut down to a 2 and see how you like it. If you like it, try going down to a 1.  It doesn't have to be a shocking all or nothing experience, do it gradually if you'd like. A lot of guys are concerned about the head shape when thinking about going bald. Everyone's head is different, don't let that stop you.

There are also other options like toupees and wigs that are available to you.

Good luck!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
I think your head shape is perfectly fine. From info here, I would avoid transplants at all costs. The scar is not good, and it's a terrible process. Why not try a short buzzcut? If you don't like it, it grows back in a few weeks.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 09:17:01 AM »
If you have the money to have a hair transplant,do it!

Not everyone needs to be shaved bald.

Offline Robson

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 09:29:51 AM »
Thank you for your replies!

I don't have the money for transplants and would avoid them at all costs, wearing a wig sucks too. I just feel very uncomfortable with the shape of my head. I don't know whether it looks horrible or I'm just being my worst critic. You guys have yours nice and round, I have some weird sides where the angle is more noticable. I'm only 27 and still looking for wife tho xd

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 09:31:38 AM »
I suggest before jumping on something as costly as a hair transplant or hair piece, you at least try a head shave.  You can go progressively shorter with a buzz cut until you are ready to try a razor shave.  Or you can just jump the gun and shave it smooth.  You may not have instant like for it due to the change, but if you commit to give yourself 30 days maintaining a shaved head, you may realize you really like it.  If after 30 days shaved you are not satisfied, what you have will grow back and you can go down the road of other alternatives.

At least you will have the confidence in knowing you gave it a try.  And your head shape looks fine to me (most guys think they have a bad head shape).
SlyBeard

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
@Robson, welcome. there is absolutley nothing wrong with your head shape it looks perfectly fine to me.  I, not surprisingly, agree that drugs and rugs are not the way to go.  listen to some of the earlier replies, it doenst have to be drastic, take it shorter slowly and if you reach a point you are not happy with stop and it will soon grow back.  if you get to sly give it 30 days to adjust as it is different from the last 20 odd years.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 09:22:06 PM »
G'day!
I don't see any issues with the shape of your head mate, you are already older than when I first started shaving and have more of a hair-line than I did, so you certainly have time to play with the idea of shaving if you wish.
It is a serious thing to consider the surgical option of implants and the possibility of major scarring, having to chase it as the hair-line receeds further, and the financial costs of it all.
Naturally by the name of the website most of us lean towards the shaving and embracing it, but you gotta do what is right for you.
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 05:40:08 AM »
your head shape is fine,   all have somewhat different shapes.   I would buzz closer and then shave.  however you need to realize i always wanted to be bald and happy that i started shaving head 40 years ago.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 06:22:07 AM »
Go bald, given how thin your hair is, and the likelihood of enough donor areas to have a realistic outcome... I would, in your case... save the $$$ and go bald.

Just keep the beard.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 03:35:33 PM »
Hi guys..

I'm 27 and thinning :( My hairline has receded very badly since I was about 15. When I shower I can see approx 30 thin hairs and I know going bald is inevitable... But the problem isn't with going bald at some point. I'm ok to overcome the stress. What I am obsessed with is my weird head shape. I understand I have a heart shaped head or at least that's what my optician said when I was buying glasses. I have these large sides, (temporalis muscles?), I'm sure you can see them. Also had a chronic sinusitis when I was 10 thus my forehead is weird af.

I'm so scared I will look like a minotaur! How bad do you think it looks? Should I go bald and stop worrying or should I think about hair transplants?

Thanks
Your head shape looks as normal as anyone's. Seriously, it's as good as anyone's.

BTW, balding is stressful and sucks. The treatments are also stressful. BEING bald is f'ing great once you gain your confidence, which builds over time. But once you define your look, the stress of balding is lifted forever.

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 05:52:46 PM »
I really do think you're being overly critical of your head shape. Most guys think they have a funny-shaped head, but that is VERY rarely the case. You should really try a close buzz. That way you can kind of get an idea of what your head shape truly is. I think you will find that you don't have a thing to worry about.

Offline Robson

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 04:14:45 AM »
Thank you for all you're replies and thank you @Miller1989 , this really improved my confidence. Going bald really sucks, the insecurity and lack of hope makes a man feel like a worthless sh*t. I'm glad somebody has created this forum and thank you for your suport.

Offline terago

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 06:17:10 PM »
i shaved my head yesterday after a long time bein scared to do it but nothing to be scared about you didnt know it untill you try it

try it and if you dont like it you can always grow it back and think about it

i only regred that i didn't do it sooner lol