Author Topic: A confidence question  (Read 17822 times)

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
A confidence question
« on: September 05, 2011, 01:36:09 PM »
Ever since I first shaved my head (5 or so years ago), I've had absolutely no problem with my self-confidence, in regards to being bald. If anything, it has increased my self-confidence.

However, there's one exception to this, and I'm slightly struggling to find a solution, so any sensible suggestions welcome!

There's a store I go into most days. Its just a small local store with maybe 7 employees, and I get on very well with them all, and I'm quite friendly with the store manager, and she and I will send each other text messages occasionally, or we'll go for coffee once in a while and bitch about the world...

But for some reason, I've never yet been able to go into that store without a baseball cap on my head. I know for sure they all know I shave my head, because one or two of them have referred to it, but even so, something is stopping me from going in there without a cap or a hat.

I'm certainly not concerned about impressing them or not impressing them. I'm on a friendly basis with them all but I'm not worried about whether I'm looking attractive to them or not. So why cant I go in there with my head exposed?

Its literally the one place I have a problem. Everywhere else, I'm more than happy to show my head off to the world!

So what should I do, just bite the bullet and go in there with a naked head? Every time I've tried, I fail miserably.

Suggestions welcome!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: A confidence question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
That does sound a bit odd -- unless there's someone in the store you have a "thing" for and that's the issue.

Otherwise, I can't think of any reason why that one store could be an issue.

I'd say if it's bothering you, just go on in bare-headed and prove to yourself that it's no big deal.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »
You're right. But every time I drive to the store, I drive there with a bald head, but when I get out of the car, I cant seem to get out of it without putting a cap on. The one time I forgot to take a cap with me, I drove home to get one before I could go into the store! Its crazy. I literally dont have a confidence issue in any other circumstance or in any other place.

There's nobody in the store I have a thing for though :) so thats definitely not the reason. None of them are my type at all.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 02:18:52 PM »
There's nobody in the store I have a thing for though :) so thats definitely not the reason. None of them are my type at all.

The store manager? Sounds like there might be some interest there (texting, coffee, etc).

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »
Nah, its nothing like that, take it from me :)

She's a nice girl but there's zero physical attraction.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »
 Is it a baseball cap store ? . .   ???

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 02:28:20 PM »
 :D No, they sell books, magazines, etc etc. Nothing to do with hats, caps, hair or heads  :P

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 03:16:02 PM »
Well, the only way to to get over this hang-up is to face it head on, if you'll pardon the pun.   ;)  Don't even bring a cap with you the next time you go over there.  Once you go in there bare-headed one time, it won't be a big deal the next time.

I can't say why this one place is problematic for you, but I used to go through this all the time whenever I was about to meet someone for the first time after shaving my head. Once the initial meeting was over, it was never a problem again.  It literally took me several years to get a chance to show the noggin to everyone.  Towards the end I was down to people I hadn't seen in years and years.  Not sure why I thought their opinions counted for anything.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 03:21:23 PM »
Well, the only way to to get over this hang-up is to face it head on, if you'll pardon the pun.   ;)  Don't even bring a cap with you the next time you go over there.  Once you go in there bare-headed one time, it won't be a big deal the next time.

I can't say why this one place is problematic for you, but I used to go through this all the time whenever I was about to meet someone for the first time after shaving my head. Once the initial meeting was over, it was never a problem again.  It literally took me several years to get a chance to show the noggin to everyone.  Towards the end I was down to people I hadn't seen in years and years.  Not sure why I thought their opinions counted for anything.

Yeah you're right, I think I just need to do it. I have to go in there tomorrow so maybe tomorrow will be the day :(

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 03:27:14 PM »

Yeah you're right, I think I just need to do it. I have to go in there tomorrow so maybe tomorrow will be the day :(

CORRECTION:

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 03:32:13 PM »
Tomorrow WILL be the day :D  ;D

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
Now, you're talkin'!    O0

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 03:34:31 PM »
Yeah but its 10.30pm here. I still have a few hours to lose my nerve :D :D

But I do think tomorrow will be the day. Its just a silly, one-off fear I need to conquer.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »

But I do think tomorrow will be the day. Its just a silly, one-off fear I need to conquer.

Exactly.  Believe me, I understand what you're going through.  Been there, done that.  From shaving my head, to showing it to people, growing a beard, shaving if off, worrying about whether people can notice the ever-increasing number of grey hairs in it, etc. etc.  But once you confront the fear, it's over and done. If you back out, you hate yourself afterwards. 

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:42:54 PM »
Yeah you're right.

And I hope you dont mind me saying this, but I'm a little surprised you had those issues. i think just about all the men on this site I've seen pictures of look great, but going on your profile picture, a bald head suits you absolutely perfectly. One of the best looks I've seen, along with one or two other guys I've noticed tonight. But, I guess we dont always see ourselves in the same light as others see us.

Just a friendly compliment