Author Topic: Came here looking for advice  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Rodgelinkbot

• Learning the way of Sly
Came here looking for advice
« on: September 22, 2020, 04:08:34 PM »
I tried joining r/bald, but I couldn’t get any help there. Most bald communities online are surprisingly anti-bald (Why, I don’t know). Since you all seem more like people who both would help and aren’t horrible to be around, I figure I would come here for help.

Here is the situation: I’m planning to shave my head for the first time. You know the guy that waits to long before finally doing it, that’s me. I’m also unemployed (temporarily, covid did it and it looks like I should be going back mid to late October), so I’d like a minimalist list of what I need to actually do this.

What I think I need:

-hand mirror (to see the back of my head)

-Hair  (would beard  work? Probably a stupid question but I felt like asking)

-a razor

-Lubricant

-Moisturizer

I’m thinking I’ll get a new razor just for my head since I don’t want to use my current one for that, but is this a good list? Anything that you think I *don’t* need? That I do need that I forgot? Finally, what do you use? It would probably be smart to try and get this done at least a few days before returning to work.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
Re: Came here looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 07:36:35 PM »
Hi Rodge,

This is a very supportive group. You are in good hands. If you want to shave, just do it and it seems like now is a good time between jobs. It will give you time to get use to a shaved head. it sounds like you have 3 or 4 weeks before you go back. So just do it now. No need to wait. Plus you want to start to perfect your technique before going back. You don’t want to start the job with a red irritated head.

I think it’s a good list.

Instead of a mirror, rely more on feel using your fingers to guide where you missed spots and where you need to pass the razor over. Getting use to shaving the back of your head will be the hardest. It requires some coordination but after a few shaves you will get the hang of it. I think the mirror trips people up which is why feel is better.  With a mirror, you focus too much on the mirror and how to position the blade based on reflection. I never shave with a mirror.

Lubricant, i use king of shave oil or any shaving oil. Walmart has it. So i will wash my head first. Apply the shaving oil and then shaving cream on top of that. I like a good gel for a cream.

For a razor, i love the Mach III. It’s a simple razor. I think any more blades than 3 is just paying too much money. Three blades is precise. Personally, I hate giving a new blade it’s maiden voyage on my head. I seem to nick myself more easily. Use a blade that’s been used a couple times already even if it’s just clean up work on your neck.

For facial hair, if you have it now I recommend leaving it and trimming it. It will take some time to get use to your bald head. I like facial hair with a bald head. But clean shaven is nice too.

Moisturizer is good. I think an aftershave lotion will be best though to calm any irritation especially on your first couple of shaves. Or aloe gel. I shave my head in the shower and then wash it after I shave with regular soap to reduce chances of irritation and to be sanitary.

For your first shaves, don’t over perfect trying to get every stubble to get it as smooth as possible. You don’t want razor burn —- it’s uncool. Eventually you will figure out the direction your hair grows on your head and once you figure that out your shaving technique, pattern of strokes will become the same for every shave thereafter.

Make sure you have tissues, cotton balls in case if you cut yourself. That will happen. My first shave, i cut my ear. Coordination like I said will be the challenge at first.

Good luck to you. You will love having a shaved head. It’s a perfect look every day.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 06:30:25 AM »
You got advice already.  If you have much hair now use an electric clipper to take most off before shaving.  I have used the mach III annd now use gillettes fusion five anf their shaving cream.  The shaving cartridges although expensive can be used for weeks.  Initially wet your head with warm soap and water and then put on the shaving cream.  Do not put much pressure on razor  do it lightly.  no hand mirror is necessary.  I use am aloe lotion when done.  I first shaved my head 40 years ago for several years and have now for 25 years.  I greatly prefer no hair, have no fav-cial hair whatsoever even eyebrows no as they became unruly.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 08:03:27 AM »
I rely on my Braun 3 electric shaver dry although I have used it for a wet shave.  About every other day I use my razor(I'm currently using my de but I think any razor would do) then after I rinsed off my scalp, I use one of those baby wipes(non-alcohol) to finish off which leaves my scalp feeling nice and smooth.
I do the back of my head by touch.  I don't remember ever using a mirror to see the back of my head except to see if I have any irritation.  I used to have a goatee but I can't seem to grow much of anything on my face now so I guess that's optional.  At some point you might want to get an exfolient to get rid of the dry skin.  It probably will take some time before your scalp adjusts to the change because the scalp may have never seen sunlight before so It'll probably be pretty pale but it will adjust and assume your normal skin tone.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 10:00:59 AM »
Welcome to the board. I do not have much to add, but here are a few comments.

Don't wait until you return to work - start now.  Most (all) guys need some time to learn to shave their head, and you will likely get a few nicks at first.  Start now, and any nicks you get will be healed before you return to work. 

Plus, the first time, it will likely take you over 30 minutes going slow.  If you shave daily, you will quickly master the task and get your time to shave to around 5 minutes.  You don't want to be late for your first day back trying to complete a shave, or stop the bleeding.

IMO, any facial hair you have or can grow will go well with a shaved head.  And IMO, the more you have the better.

I use a Gillette Fusion with Cremo brand shave cream.  I was previously put off by the cost of the Fusion, but I have found that they are quality and really last a long time - I am going a full month or more with them before replacement.  Also, I rarely, if ever, get nicks with it.

You may or may not need moisturizer.  My scalp is naturally oily, so I do not need it.

You will need sunscreen if you spend time outdoors.  Your newly exposed scalp with burn quickly.  I can get by with up to an hour outside after years of shaving, more than that, and I use sunscreen.  Don't risk it with a newly shaved scalp.

Good luck, and please post a before and after photo for us.
SlyBeard

Offline Rodgelinkbot

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 12:27:01 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I will try to post a pic at some point (my camera sucks,just a warning). I had never thought about using a baby wipe.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 06:21:35 PM »
All good suggestions above . Two thoughts that I have are . You might want to have a barber do the first shave , this will at least start you off on the right path , and probably no nicks. Second , shave sooner than later this will give you time to get some sun to even out the face and the scalp. Your head will look pale for awhile. Good luck , if you haven’t shaved already.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 01:36:43 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I will try to post a pic at some point (my camera sucks,just a warning). I had never thought about using a baby wipe.
Something called "headwipes" used to be available but I think they were quite expensive.  I never tried those but I go for the baby wipes that have no alcohol but have lanolin.  I have dry skin so I like to put something soothing on my scalp so it won't dry out.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 04:05:47 AM »

How'd the shave go?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.