Author Topic: DE safety razor headshave  (Read 2032 times)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
DE safety razor headshave
« on: September 11, 2021, 11:55:25 AM »
I had 2 days growth and plenty of time this morning, so instead of my quick shave in the shower, I decided to do an old fashioned DE safety razor shave in front of the mirror/sink. I even got out the shaving soap, bowl, and brush. I whipped up a luxurious lather and applied it with the brush. Sometimes it nice to take alot of time and get an awesome safety razor baby butt smooth headshave! I also have a 60's era triple mirror so I can open the ends and see front, sides, and back of my head!

It was a great experience, and I hope everyone tries and old fashioned style shave sometimes.

Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Runningman586

• Sly Jr.
Re: DE safety razor headshave
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 01:27:57 PM »
Nice! That's something I haven't done yet. I just use my razors I get from dollar shave club and shaving gel. That sounds amazing though I'll have to give it a try. What products do you use? @reddog you should also post a pic or your handy work.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 01:37:14 PM »
I use a 1954 Gillette safety razor that was my dad's. Today I used an Astra platinum blade.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 05:55:57 AM »
I have tried several times, and much blood was released.  Using a DE is a skill I never mastered for my head, or my face.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 11:30:17 AM »
I can actually go pretty fast with the DE. I listen to the sound of the razor to know the angle is right. Still have to use the disposable around my ears though. The only time I have a problem is if the DE loosens up, that's when you can easily get a knick. I keep checking to make sure it is tight.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 11:35:03 AM »
I have tried several times, and much blood was released.  Using a DE is a skill I never mastered for my head, or my face.
Well Sly, you just gave away your age, lol!  Back when I was coming of age, the de was all we had so it's pretty much second nature to me.  The only part I don't like about them is changing the blade(got to be careful).  I still use one on occasion but I do tend to nic myself once in awhile.   I always broke out with acne whenever I shaved my face.  I have no idea what that was about.  I just have one of those faces that don't like to be shaved which is why I used to have a massive beard through most of my life but now I can't grow one at all...  out

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 02:24:46 PM »
Well Sly, you just gave away your age, lol!  Back when I was coming of age, the de was all we had so it's pretty much second nature to me.  The only part I don't like about them is changing the blade(got to be careful).  I still use one on occasion but I do tend to nic myself once in awhile.   I always broke out with acne whenever I shaved my face.  I have no idea what that was about.  I just have one of those faces that don't like to be shaved which is why I used to have a massive beard through most of my life but now I can't grow one at all...  out

At least you could find us an old photo of that massive beard.  But why do you say you can't grow one now?
SlyBeard

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 07:02:06 PM »
I can grow a grey goatee but the sides just don't fill in.  I have an old b&w photo around here somewhere showing my beard but I'll have to figure out how to scan it in.  I'll look for it tomorrow.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 09:48:52 PM »
I use a 1954  safety razor that was my dad's. Today I used an Astra platinum blade.

Good coincidence, I use my fathers 1954 Gillette Super Speed. I had my own DE years ago, but must have lost them over the years.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 07:22:03 PM »
I bought one of the King C Gillette double edge safety razors from Walgreens recently and have been shaving my head with it — WOW. It’s a really smooth shave. I mean I am BALD bald, haha. All the little spots I struggle to get with a cartridge, or even my Leaf, I can get with the DE. Man, it’s slow though.