Head Shaving, Grooming & Care > Head Shaving

Your Shave Routine

(1/147) > >>

medicineman:
So what is your shaving routine?  Here's mine.

My weapon of choice is the Fusion Power using the manual cartridge.

I shave in the shower, less clean up and I find it quicker.  I keep the water as hot as I can stand it.

I first wash my head with Equate Daily Face Wash from Wal-Mart (WM's version of Clearasil Daily Face Scrub).  This helps soften the hair and removes all the dirt and oil from the skin.  I believe that prepping your skin/hair for the shave is more important than what you actually choose to shave with.  If the hair isn't prepped properly, any razor will give a horrible shave. 

Next I get the lather ready.  I am currently using Burt's Bees Bay Rum and a natural bristle brush.  Apply lather and start to shave.

I normally do two passes.  The first is with the grain.  I use short choppy strokes with very light pressure.  I then reapply lather and shave against the grain again using very light pressure and short strokes.  I use my free hand to feel my way while doing the back of my head.  Rinse again.

After I get out of the shower I do a cold water rinse.  This helps close the pores that have been opened by shaving.  Next I rinse with Witch Hazel or Old Spice Aftershave or maybe even Bay Rum, whatever I am in the mood for.  This further closes the pores.  If I feel any missed spots, this is when I clean them up, I don't re-lather or anything, just lightly run the razor over those areas.

That's it.  I find the least amount of product that I use on the noggin', the happier I am.  If I want extra shine I will apply HeadBlade's HeadLube Glossy but I usually don't need to.

Total time spent...10-15 minutes.

So, what is your routine like.  I look forward to reading about yours.  Maybe you do something I will add to my routine as I search for the slickest shave possible.

Tyler:
My razor of choice is the HeadBlade.

My routine is a follows:

While in the shower I scrub my head with HeadShed by HeadBlade.  Then I lather on some HeadSlick or Matte For Men depending on what I feel like that day.  I shave back to front on the first pass and then front to back on the second pass.  I then pull out the Fusion to use the 6th blade around the ears and to shave around my face.  Next I wash my head and face with Tolsom Facial Cleansing Foam.  This helps reduce any oiliness.

I then get out of the shower and apply either Tolsom Skin Protection Lotion with SPF 15 or HeadLube Glossy depending on if I will be in the sun much that day.  If I'm going to be in the sun a lot, I'll use the Matte for Men Head Care Lotion with SPF 25 for a little extra protection.

Cam:
My routine:

While I'm in the shower I wash my face and head with Clarasil Deep Action Cream Cleanser. I don't shave in the shower, and when I get out I don't dry my head. I use Headslick and get out the HeadBlade with Sensor 3 blade. Since I shave everyday, I shave against the grain, there is no need for a pass with the grain. Then I rinse my head and feel to make sure I didn't miss anything, if so I go back over those spots. Then I get out my Fusion and use the 6th blade to do around my ears and the top of my sideburns. I finish it all up with some Gilette Aftershave Lotion and then some hydrocortisone cream to prevent irritation because sometimes my head itches when I am done shaving.

That's pretty much it, but since I work outside I am going to start putting sunblock on my head too. You seem to be pretty adamant about using sunblock, Tyler, what would you recommend? I am usually in the sun anywhere from 1-5 hours a day.

PigPen:
This is my morning ritual:

Get in the shower, and scrub my noggin with Head Shed. Then I apply Head Slick and currently I'm using a HeadBlade Sport with a Sensor Double Blade. I usually do one pass against the grain, then use my hands to find the spots I missed. When I'm at my smoothest, I will give the melon a quick rinse using some semi-cold water. When I get ready to shave the face, I use my Mach 3 (regular), clean up around the ears and all. Then depending on the possible razor bumps, I will use Clear Head then Head Lube. I used the Matte for a long time, but recently went to the Glossy last week. I still use Matte for weekends and stuff.

Tyler:

--- Quote from: The Funnel Weaver on February 12, 2007, 02:45:04 PM ---You seem to be pretty adamant about using sunblock, Tyler, what would you recommend? I am usually in the sun anywhere from 1-5 hours a day.

--- End quote ---

It looks like you have pretty fair skin and with the number of hours you are in the sun, I would recommend Coppertone Sport SPF 45 or 50.  I think it's 45 now in the stores.  You can see a review of it here: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=23.msg26#msg26

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version