Head Shaving, Grooming & Care > Safety Razor Head Shaving

Thinking of going DE

(1/4) > >>

Jloewe:
Hi everyone.  Been shaving for about a year on and off and want to give DE a try.  Anyone have recommendations?  How long do blades generally last (as in how long for you I know everyone is different)?  The Dorco Safety Razor looks like a pretty sweet deal as you can get handle, traveling case and 30 blades for just $20 is this a good razor for a beginner?

BigJinTX:
I've been using a DE safety razor on my face for the past few years. On my head for the past six months. I got most of my information, when first starting, online at Badger and blade. And on YouTube. One surprising thing to me at first was that different blades have a different sharpness. My blades can last me as long as a week, but I prefer to change them out every 3 days. I strongly suggest a quality shave soap or shave cream and brush. Success with a de razor is all about blade angle, and it does take a bit of trial and error before one finds the best technique. I encourage you to give it a try but be patient. It's worth the learning curve. Good luck.

reddog:
I enjoy shaving with my DE razor, but it does take quite some time as I have to shave my entire head and face, except goatee area. Blades are only 10ยข each, so I only use for one shave.

My razor of choice is a 1954 Gillette Super Speed. And yes, it's all about learning the angle. What I really l like about the DE is I can make multiple passes for a super smooth shave and never get any irritation.

gwsmallwood:
Do it. It's a much better shave. I recommend one of the starter kits from www.stirlingsoap.com or www.maggardrazors.com

Jloewe:

--- Quote from: gwsmallwood on July 02, 2017, 08:55:45 PM ---Do it. It's a much better shave. I recommend one of the starter kits from www.stirlingsoap.com or www.maggardrazors.com

--- End quote ---

Do you know if bee bald shaving cream (which has been pretty good so far) will work with DE?  Thing is my girlfriend just bought me a kit and I want to use up all the cream before I get any soap which I've actually been dying to try.  She bought it like last week and you know how it goes with women.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version