Author Topic: Shaving tips - how to deal with stubborn stubbly bits?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
Shaving tips - how to deal with stubborn stubbly bits?
« on: April 22, 2020, 09:06:42 AM »
It's day four of being back as a bbc guy and I really can't imagine going back to having hair for a long time, if at all.  I'm really enjoying the smooth, clean look and liberation from messy, greying hair.  I think it looks pretty good too.

I'm shaving every day with an Omnishaver or Mach III and getting a really close and smooth shave for the most part.  But I struggle with some little stubbly bits on both sides of my crown which I can't seem to get smooth even after a number of passes with the razor, which leaves the skin a little sore.

Do any of you have tips for how to get these bits so I can achieve a totally smooth finish.  Any recommendations on shave creams/gels for the best shave would be welcome too.  I'm using a UK brand gel called Bulldog which is nice but feels a little thin for the job.

Thanks guys.  Here's a couple more pictures too.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Shaving tips - how to deal with stubborn stubbly bits?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 02:02:05 PM »
Jack, some guys are just made to wear a shaved head, and you are one of them! That baldie haircut looks awesome. I'm glad you are liking it.

There always seems to be a couple spots that don't get perfectly smooth. If I want a super smooth head, I wait 2 or 3 days to shave, plenty of hot water, and a fresh razor. That's hard because I like to shave everyday.

I just use Dial Coconut water bar soap. It's very slippery. Although they're not as good as they used to be, I use a Schick Extreme 3 disposable razor. They are slightly curved, so work good on the head. Sometimes I use my double edge safety razor with an Astra blade.

Good luck, and wear that smooth some proudly!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 02:39:28 PM »
I think we all have trouble spots.  Mine are just behind my ears just above the bony area.  I almost never get it smooth there, and if I try, I usually end up with razor burn and still have the stubble feel.  If I really take my time, and pull my skin up with one hand and shave with the other, I sometimes can get it smooth.  It is true for me as well that I can get it smoother if I have 2 or 3 days worth of stubble.  I have learned to just live with a little stubble feel.

BTW, I like the longer beard on you better than the stubble length beard in the second photo.  Have you ever tried or considered a long beard?  You have the growth for it and it would look good on you, especially with the shaved top.
SlyBeard

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »
Hey Slick!  I have a similar problem in the same area.  That part of the scalp is where the hair transitions and grows in a different direction.  I do the best I can and now I'm used to giving that area "special treatment" by using my electric to take the growth way down then just tickling it with my de to get it smooth.  Not everyone has that same problem but both you and I are two of em.

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 04:22:52 AM »
Thanks @clint902 - I'll have a try with a foil shaver before using the razor.  I'm now sometimes able to get the spot pretty smooth, but it can get a little irritated by multiple passes of the razor.

@slybeard It's tempting to grow a long beard, although I have quite a few grey bits especially on my chin.  It's quite a commitment of time before it gets to a good length I guess.

@reddog Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still loving the bald look

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 08:01:59 AM »
Some guys can grow a beard quickly, mine does not grow so fast.  What you see in my photo takes me about a year.  I know guys that can grow more in 6 months.

If the gray patches really bother you, you could dye them.  It is easy to "spot dye" just the most gray areas with Just For Men beard and mustache dye to have a more natural looking color.  An "all over" dye like I use takes more effort and maintenance.
SlyBeard

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 10:58:55 AM »
Some guys can grow a beard quickly, mine does not grow so fast.  What you see in my photo takes me about a year.  I know guys that can grow more in 6 months.

If the gray patches really bother you, you could dye them.  It is easy to "spot dye" just the most gray areas with Just For Men beard and mustache dye to have a more natural looking color.  An "all over" dye like I use takes more effort and maintenance.
That's good to know because my beard doesn't grow at all anymore.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 01:42:40 PM »
You have to see which way the hair is going in and shave against the grain of that patch of hair.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Enter your email address: