Author Topic: Urge for a change  (Read 888 times)

Offline Bencito

• Learning the way of Sly
Urge for a change
« on: March 18, 2024, 03:54:33 PM »
I have a question for long time members of the forum.

Do you feel the urge to grow out your hair from time to time even though you love the bald look?

I have been shaving my head for three and a half years and this is something I wanted to do for a long time. The longest that I managed to grow my hair was six days.

I think it may be a desire for change or wanting to go for a head shave after growing out my hair that I want to grow out my hair once in a while.

That said, I really like being bald and want to keep it as my main look. I like the convenience of shaving my head myself and not going to the barber. People are used to me being bald now and might be surprised if I grow out my hair and then shave it again.  I know this is my decision and most people?s reactions stem from curiosity.

I also admire the members who decide to go for laser hair removal on their head. It surely shows commitment!

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Ethan

Re: Urge for a change
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 04:01:40 PM »
The furthest I got growing out my hair was January. I only lasted a month before shaving it off. But I've been tempted to try growing it out again. And last longer then a month.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 04:50:38 PM »
Sure, I think alot of guys think about growing hair back, especially us that still have most of our hair. I grow some back several times a year. My problem is a skin issue that flares up on my scalp, and daily shaving is the only know cure. After several weeks, I miss having a smooth head, and once I can't stop thinking about it, it's time to get the razor out!

Don't worry about what people think, I no longer get reactions when I make a change.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 07:17:46 PM »
I think the answer is "yes".  I grew my hair back for about five months back in 2013, but then shaved again.  I went for laser treatments which removed the dark hair, but I had a lot of gray which doesn't respond to laser, so I occasionally wonder what I would look like if I just let my hair grow again (I never go more than about three days without shaving).  I think the curiosity is always there. 

I also think we worry a lot about other people's reactions when we change our appearance (I know I do), but in reality, people are busy with their own lives and our hairstyle barely registers in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 02:44:49 PM »
For a lot of years, I grow on a flat top for half the year and shave my head for the other half but it?s getting more and more difficult to grow up the Flattop and also much more expensive to maintain

Then too many times I?ll grow it out for about a month to six weeks and it drives me so crazy that I just can?t stand it and have to shave it off again. 

I always come back to a clean, smooth shining dome!

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 09:15:37 PM »
I can?t grow my hair out since I had it lasered, but I guess I could let the remaining little wisps go for a week or two and see what happens lol

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 07:23:26 AM »
I can?t grow my hair out since I had it lasered, but I guess I could let the remaining little wisps go for a week or two and see what happens lol
Noooooooooooooooooo!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 07:28:46 AM »

Wow, your head looks ?Kleen?!  Great laser job!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 05:19:58 PM »
Before my wife died, she had been trying to get me to grow my hair back into a ponytail. So, afterward, I tried to grow it back out. At the time I was about 65 and after about 2 months I looked at myself in the mirror and I looked like I was 90. Part of the problem was that there was no hair on top and the toilet seat was gray to white in color. That combination accentuated the cracks in my face that I believe the ladies call wrinkles.
At that point I shaved it off. I have been sometimes negligent over the ensuing years with my shaving but never more than 4-5 days.
I would not attempt this again. Now I'm 71 and I don't look a day over 70. I credit grape scraping for my youthful good looks. 8)
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 08:44:55 AM »
@buddha , I agree, older guys like us tend to look younger with a shaved head. When I attempt to grow my hair, I think the white hair ages me, but I guess it's expected at my age! I'm always amazed at the transition when I go back to a bald head.

I recently changed my Facebook photo, and I usually get several positive comments. One friend commented that I never change. That's one of the many advantages of sporting a shaved head, you always look sharp and younger!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline MoonageDaydream

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 05:57:23 AM »

Wow, your head looks ?Kleen?!  Great laser job!

Thanks man! I?m very happy with the lack of shadow. I still have to shave but it goes so much faster.

Offline Bencito

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 11:44:58 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing your stories and experiences. It is nice to hear other people's stories.

I tried to grow out my hair twice since I decided to go bald - once it lasted six days, and another time it lasted three days. I was glad to have my shaved head back afterwards. One time I treated myself to a barbershop head shave, and it was a great experience. I think I am committed to the bald look!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2024, 08:23:02 AM »
I started shaving my head full time about 3-1/2 years ago, after going back and forth for about 4 years prior.  Since then, the longest I?ve gone without shaving is about 6 days.  I get a smoother shave if I do it every other day, but it?s hard to wait that long.   I had 6 laser treatments last year, which got rid of most of the dark hair.  If I let my hair grow 3-4 days, it comes back snow white and I look 10 years older.  I?m a bald guy for life, now!