Author Topic: Shaved on a Whim  (Read 14257 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Shaved on a Whim
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 07:16:45 AM »
Whenever you interview for a job, you are always subjected to the prejudices and biases of the person who is doing the interviewing.  It's entirely possible that the interviewer might not like your shaved head.  On the other hand, you could let your hair grow back and that person might not like that haircut, either.  Or they might think you are too fat, thin, short, tall, any number of things.  There is no way to know and no way to control this, other than to make sure you make a neat, clean, professional, and confident appearance.

Ten or fifteen years ago, a shaved head might have presented a problem in obtaining a "professional" job, but it's entirely mainstream now and no longer an issue.  Stand outside any office building at lunchtime or end of the work day and chances are you will see several guys with shaved heads entering and exiting the building.  I'm an accountant -- one of, if not THE most, conservative professions there is -- and my shaved head has never been a problem.

In fact, you are much better off interviewing with the shaved head, because if you get hired, then you know it's not an issue.  If you are hired with hair and later think about shaving, then you'll be wondering if it will be a problem.  Additionally, letting your new colleagues see you as a Sly Guy from day one will virtually ensure that you remain that way.  People are understandably nervous about shaving their heads and letting people see them bald for the first time, but the reverse is also true.  If people have only seen you as a Sly Bald Guy, they won't be able to imagine you with hair and the very thought of growing it out might make you feel nervous.

I hope this helps.  Good luck with the job search, welcome to the group, and congratulations on going sly!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 07:25:21 AM »
Welcome Leo, you definitely rock the sly look. I work in education as well and have not found it to be a problem professionally.  There has never been a single comment from staff, administration or parents and all had known me with hair.  In fact I would think that the confidence you develop by being sly will be an asset in how you present yourself at interviews.  Good luck and glad you joined us.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 07:26:43 AM »
First Welcome to the family Leo;
                                                             I'm not sure that I can offer any more advise on this, Professor Melon and the rest have sumed it up pretty well. All that I can do is re enforce your desition, that you have done the right thing. The Sly looks realy looks good on you, and my wife agrees, I just had her look at your before and after pic's and she said that the "after" pic is definately the better of the two. That's coming from a woman who wishes I would grow my hair back as I am BBC, but she respects my wishes to go Sly because I love it. I hope that you try it out for a while and you continue to stick arround and keep us posted on your experiances as a new and more confident Sly guy.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 07:32:58 AM »
Totally agree with Robmeister, Leo. One of the better transformations on this board.
Welcome.

I'd put some kahlua in my morning coffee to celebrate your joining the ranks of the sly, but since you're only 20....
Wait a minute, that's MY coffee!

Cheers!
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 07:43:39 AM »
Welcome Leo!!

Oh...man...yours is one of the better improvements I've seen when comparing "before" to "after"!!

Your look is MUCH better bald.

I wouldn't worry about a THING, man....Excellent move O0

I agree 100% with Robmeister.  Dude, you wear that new look like a natural.  I can't imagine anyone thinking that the old Leo is better.  You look strong and confident already -- now, go take on the world.  You're free.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline **sticks**

• Sly
  • "This World is not This World"
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 10:26:38 AM »
wow guys...

im speechless...

one of the best forums ive ever joined...

thanks for the awesome support...

I really appreciate all the responses...

glad to be sly!

im going to try it out....see how i feel in a couple of weeks to a few months and keep everyone updated...

but i do feel more confident, so that is already a bonus...

once again thanks!

this site is awesome!

-Leo

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 10:40:31 AM »
wow guys...

im speechless...

one of the best forums ive ever joined...

thanks for the awesome support...

I really appreciate all the responses...

glad to be sly!

im going to try it out....see how i feel in a couple of weeks to a few months and keep everyone updated...

but i do feel more confident, so that is already a bonus...

once again thanks!

this site is awesome!

-Leo

Hey, Sticks.

Making a change like this can be difficult, and once the initial euphoria wears off, it's not uncommon to start having second thoughts and think about growing your hair back.  Whatever you do, don't give in to that temptation!  Make a commitment that you'll stay sly for at least two months, no matter what.  Then make your final decision based on how you feel at that time.  More than likely, you'll choose to stay sly.  You'd be crazy not to -- that's a great looking dome you've got.

Offline **sticks**

• Sly
  • "This World is not This World"
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 10:53:14 AM »

Whatever you do, don't give in to that temptation!  Make a commitment that you'll stay sly for at least two months, no matter what.  Then make your final decision based on how you feel at that time. 

hey...

the only fear i have about shaving for two months is that im moving to Israel in two months for a year or so to continue my education....Since israel does not have the sly look very much in right now, I dont know how people will deal with it. im not religious, so the religious aspect wont bother me....im still in the debating stage...

i gotta give it more time before i make the decision...

but im digging it so far!

thanks,
Leo

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 11:12:53 AM »
well sticks..welcome to SBG! you definetly win the most improved look that i've seen on this board....you rockin it...congrats.

i think i would have to agree with growing it back out when you go to isreal.....with the whole nazi skinhead thing that the jewish people have had to deal with i dont think it would go over there too well,you'd get some very heavy looks there if not some outright discrimination.....i've been to isreal a couple times.. and they have guys standing on the street corners with uzi's lol i wouldnt want to pizz any of them off....when you get there see if its accepted or not..if it is.. break out the razor again.

VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 11:15:48 AM »

Whatever you do, don't give in to that temptation!  Make a commitment that you'll stay sly for at least two months, no matter what.  Then make your final decision based on how you feel at that time. 

hey...

the only fear i have about shaving for two months is that im moving to Israel in two months for a year or so to continue my education....Since israel does not have the sly look very much in right now, I dont know how people will deal with it. im not religious, so the religious aspect wont bother me....im still in the debating stage...

i gotta give it more time before i make the decision...

but im digging it so far!

thanks,
Leo

Well, I haven't been to Israel (nor am I Jewish), so I can't comment on the type of reception you'd receive overseas. But, since the SLY look is not prevalent over there, I'd bet the young Israeli hotties would be diggin' to give you a head rub! O0

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2007, 12:39:26 PM »
I have to agree with everyone and say the sly look suits you really well.  I figure being sly in Israel won't be as big a deal as you might think because they'll just assume you're a regular bald dude since Nazi skinheads wouldn't exactly be common there.

jusbnme

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »
Way to go bro!!!  O0  It definitely suits you.  I would keep it and not worry about what people think as long as you are fine with it. 

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 03:25:12 PM »
Sticks dude that looks great on you. Deffinatly a looks upgrade IMO.
Keep it sly man  O0

KALBO

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2007, 06:04:54 PM »
I have been balding since high school as well.  I applaud you for going SLY early...wish I did!!!  O0

BALDANDRE

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 09:40:13 AM »
Dude...the bald sly look is a natural for you! The before and afters show that! You definately went up leaps and bounds on the "SLY" scale!