Author Topic: "Denial" is not a river in Egypt! And, a for real "Christmas Story"  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
I just a have to vent a bit!

So I work in a barbershop in Florida.  We are in full "snowbird" season!

The shop I work in is in a strip mall immediately adjacent to a large mobile home community that is deed restricted to age 55 and over.  The mobile home community flies two very large flags at the entrance-at equal height- the flag of the United States Of America and the Flag of the nation of Canada.

It is the week before Christmas so even the penny-pinchers have been sent to the barbershop by their wives to get a haircut.  and, of course, god forbid that they should wash their hair before getting it cut, (because they will wash it on Saturday when it is bath night).

Of the 20 some haircuts I did today only FOUR of these guys were actually able to tell me how they wanted their haircut!  They all say; "Just a trim; not a full haircut" - as if they will get a further discount on their $13 Senior haircut if it is "just a trim".  AND THE BALD GUYS WITH THE COMB-OVERS THAT DO NOT EVEN MAKE IT HALF WAY ACROSS THE TOP OF THEIR HEADS ARE THE VERY WORST!  They will say, "just make it all about  the same length all over so that it looks good".  But when I ask what that one length should be, they don't know.  And when I ask if they want me to mow off the 6 inch comb over to make every thing the "same length" they ask; "what comb-over"?

I had one younger balding guy who told me to give him a zero all over.  When I told him that I have four "Zero" blades that run from 000 to 00000 he said; "Oh no; not that short"!  (The difference between 0 and 000 is about 7 hours growth!

Honestly, I am not kidding - the denial runs that deeply!

Thank goodness right at the end of the day two 20 something brothers came in who were in town to visit Grandma for Christmas. 

One had three month old buzz cut that had grown out to almost two inches - he wanted an honest to goodness Mohawk with razor shaved sides.  I carved a beaut' of a Mohawk out of that mess with a back side that tapered down to a point at the neckline.  Then I straight razored the sides with hot towels and hot lather.  He was elated! (But I cannot help but wonder what Grandma will say).

The other brother had a very recent #2 all over buzzcut But it was BLAH!  It had no tapering or fading at all.  It was just one length all over - and with a blocked neckline no less- (EEEEwww!)  hH told me that he didn't need a haircut inasmuch as he was joining the Army and was headed off to boot camp in a month.  He has chosen an MOS of Infantry and intends to go for Ranger at his first chance.  As a retired military guy myself  heart just burst!  I told him that I could turn that blah buzzcut into a killer bald fade until he had to report for bootcamp.  He equivocated.  He didn't reallyh want to spend the money on a haircut that he didn't need.  I told him that it was my Christmas gift to a fellow Warrior.  For "free" he agreed!  I gave him an honest to god  "10 BLADE FADE" starting with a #2 at the top and then descending using 8 other blades, a foil razor, and then a straight razor.  During the haircut I gave him all of the little tidbits of advice that I had received from older warriors before I was inducted.  When I finished; I had turned him into a soldier who would stand out in any inspection as a consummate professional!

When I turned him around he just lit up!  He said; "Man as soon as I get out of bootcamp I have GOT to find an off-post barber who give me another 10 blade fade!"

When he left he tried to tip me - which I of course refused.  I told him that the only thanks I wanted was that he promise to always think with the right one of his two heads (and you military guys know what I meant) and that he not volunteer for anything stupid.  He agreed; and then he gave me a quick little man-hug and thanked me.  It just made my day.  I think perhaps that it may have made my whole Christmas!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: "Denial" is not a river in Egypt! And, a for real "Christmas Story"
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »
I enjoyed your post, Semi. Isn't it funny how things turn around? When we were young it was all about having long hair, and we chuckled at the older guys holding on to their flattops and crew cuts. Now the older guys are holding on to their longer hair, even though it's balding and time to let go. If they only knew how great it feels to have a smooth bald head! And we are so lucky that shaved heads are common place and accepted as just another hairstyle. As a barber, it must drive you crazy!

Merry Christmas to all.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »
Great post and I admire what you did for that kid young man.  As to the older guys, I see them all the time.  Terrible looking comb overs that fool no one.  I am not saying then should shave it (though IMO that would look best), but at least a decent cut if that want to keep it.
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 11:01:08 AM »
That was a real nice story, glad that young soldier to be, appreciated your efforts. The other stories, are the problems of dealing with the public , always a challenge to satisfy them. And some you never will .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline leibows

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »
Thank you so much for letting us know about this great experience. Anytime us SLY ELDERS can give some advice is a wonderful thing especially if it is being honestly received by the listener. In this case, a soon to be recruit.
Nice touch on the freebie...WELL DONE! Have a great holiday season.

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 08:27:21 AM »
thanks for the post semi-sly.I have a lot of respect for you right now.I am in my sixties and I look up to you for having a great attitude.not only did you help that young man but you also help me realize their is still good people in this world.thank you.