Author Topic: The worst commercial ever  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: The worst commercial ever
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »
I thought advertising was actually about getting peoples attention and doing something that will stick in someone's mind.  So in that sense the ad actually worked because we're all thinking about Boost Mobile and their commercial of the woman with the ungodly pit hair.

Correct me if I'm wrong though because I've never taken anything even remotely related to advertising.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
wait wait...........Jer you saying the ad worked?   :D ;D ;D   Maybe you are right but I don't know if they wanted it to work that way.  ???    There are better ways to stick something in someone's mind.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 05:29:56 PM »
I think the point is to make you remember the commercial which obviously this commercial does.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 06:46:02 AM »
Back around 1970 there was an ad firm that hired psychologists to determine exactly what would make people remember one product ahead of others in a particular genre. What they came up with was the original Ragu "mamma mia, that's a-one spicy meata-balla" commercial. People hated that commercial but Ragu quickly became the #1 selling spaghetti sauce in the country. I've noticed more and more commercials becomming more and more obnoxious over the years so maybe we will start to cycle back to a more intelligent composition.....Nahhh, why mess with success.
What they discovered was exactly what a couple of the slys have alluded to. That people (in the US), when faced with a number of products in the same category; cell phones or spaghetti sauce, will invariably buy the one that they have the clearest memory of from a commercial, even if the memory of the commercial is negative.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

SlyHigh

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 07:42:10 AM »
i dunno about worst, but the "most obnoxious wanna break the tv" commercal has to be that f**king STUPID mcdonalds filet of fish commercial. i cant stand it.
Which one?  Have you seen the one with the dolphin trainer jumping out of the water to grab the sandwich?  That's my wife's cousin.  You've probably seen him in other commercials and movies.  He's a stunt man.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 08:06:26 AM »
She needs a PitBlade.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 06:58:23 PM »

Offline Rhymez

• McGarry
  • Super Sly
  • Hip Hop 4 Life!
    • Notorious R-MC
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »
There is only one thing i need to say....... WTF?????????? That was supid sh*t, even tho it made me laugh a bit.

Enter your email address: