Author Topic: preventing sunburn.  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
preventing sunburn.
« on: May 11, 2009, 08:14:39 PM »
i have pale skin and was wondering what the best sunscreen for my head would be where i can still get a tan just not burn. i dont want to COMPLETELY block the sun. i just bought some banana boat SPF30 spray sunscreen today but that seems pretty high. should i go lower?

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Re: preventing sunburn.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »
When it comes to protecting the dome... it is better to err on the side of too much protection.... You can always get more sun... but sunburns are really bad news.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »
A couple of years ago I had some skin cancer cut out of my forehead, a piece about the size of a quarter. Ever since then I pay close attention to sun exposure on my beloved dome. I either wear a hat or some SPF (at least) 50 sunblock. And maybe it's just because I am up in years but I'm way more careful about exposure to the sun.
On the positive side, though, I do have a nice scar to show for my efforts.
I have a thread in here entitled "Skin Cancer: My Photos". Quite a number of the bros in here have has carcinomas and they are not a tremendous amount of fun to deal with although they are not generally fatal.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:15:42 PM »
i have pale skin and was wondering what the best sunscreen for my head would be where i can still get a tan just not burn. i dont want to COMPLETELY block the sun. i just bought some banana boat SPF30 spray sunscreen today but that seems pretty high. should i go lower?

Ghost, below is the body of a post I made here in 2007:

I'm a proud Sly Guy, but my day job as a cancerbuster compels me to strongly discourage anyone from going out and deliberately trying to tan the dome. 

With Spring and Summer just around the corner...if you're going to be out in the full-strength sun, ALWAYS wear sunscreen; at least SPF 30-45, applied liberally and often.   However, I should advise you that the ONLY PROVEN way of preventing skin cancer is SUN AVOIDANCE, so don't forget to wear a hat as well.

The incidence of skin cancer continues to escalate, and the naked scalp is one of the most vulnerable regions for UV-induced skin damage, which can lead to malignancy. This is especially dangerous if you already have some pigmented lesions (moles) up there.

Don't forget: a "suntan" is the body's way of telling you that you're overdosing on UV. By the time you have a "sunburn", the damage has already been done.

Skin cancer is very preventable. Don't take any chances; life is too short as it is - you don't want to do anything to end it prematurely.  And believe me, malignant melanoma is BAD news. By the time it's diagnosed, it's often already metastasized.  And the cure rate for that stage is virtually ZERO.

Be Sly, but be smart.

Enter your email address: