Author Topic: is the hair removal cream all that bad ?  (Read 31775 times)

Offline Michigan_Mayhem

• Sly Jr.
is the hair removal cream all that bad ?
« on: May 07, 2009, 04:13:46 PM »
 I know that i have already did a post about this topic , and I apologise . But I am seriously thinking about trying it . In the razor ect section at Walgreens there is is two hair removal creams one I cannot remeber the name of it and the other is Magic Smooth . Did some research on the magic smooth and cannot find much on it .
 So has anyone had any good results from the hair removal cream?? the Magic Smooth seems like it is intented for getting a shiny bald head. Want to try to get a total smooth head .

Again sorry to rebring up this topic .

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: is the hair removal cream all that bad ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 04:24:51 PM »
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the sound of your scalp burning my friend. I know at least one of the guys has tried it and it wasn't good.........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:02:17 PM »
Caustic chemicals go nowhere near my skin.

Offline Michigan_Mayhem

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »
Yeah you guys might be right . I really want a totally smooth head . Guess I have to just have to accpect that I won't have it.

Offline SlyintheOC

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:20:46 PM »
Once you find the right products and routine, you should be able to have the smooth feel you are looking for.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 06:54:27 PM »
Unless you have very dark skin and when I mean dark, I mean you are black by birth, then you should NOT use Magic Shave or Magic Smooth.  Even most of my black friends won't use it because it's too harsh for them.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:55:29 PM »
Yeah you guys might be right . I really want a totally smooth head . Guess I have to just have to accpect that I won't have it.

Michigan what do you mean? Still nicking yourself and whatnot?

Offline Michigan_Mayhem

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 01:48:33 AM »
no, not that bad anymore . But what I mean is that when I am done shaving my head is not totally looking or feeling smooth, not like you guys havei t . I have tiny stubble still. It really bothers me , I want that totally smooth look and feel and not sure how to get it ...Really fustrating !

Offline Dan-O-Mite

• DanOMite
  • Sly
    • www.myspace.com/dangman
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 07:30:54 AM »
hmm mayhem or you shaving against the grain?

Also a mistake i used to make when feeling for stubble was using my fingers, if your using the very tips and your rubing hard....your always going to feel something somewhere...Its  best just to take it easy on that and use the palm of your hand instead or the inside of your finger closer to the palm.

Its also possible certain hairs grow in different directions so you might need to go in all 4 directions.

Hope this helps
Its good to be bald my friends :)

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 08:27:49 AM »
Another good point is where do you do your shaving, in front of the sink or shower?  I find that if I shave in front of the sink, I do not get that ultimate shave.  I always shave in the shower.  Warm/Hot water on the noggin while you are showering and then shave seems to always work best.  I use the Baldguyz scalp/hair shampoo cleaner before each shave then load up with either Headslick or Baldguyz shaving gel.  I always shave against the grain over all.  I do not do the step of shaving with the grain first like alot of guys do.  I go straight for it.  You will, in time, find your method.  Dont be afraid to try different things.  Just becareful on what you do experiment with.  Always come in here and post up your thoughts, maybe get some good feed back.  Someone may have already tried a certain method.  But, like each and everyone of us in here...We are all different.  What might work for one, wouldnt work for the other.  Good Luck and hang in there buddy.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 12:42:56 PM »
Have you considered an electric? I normally use a Head Blade Sport but I know when my scalp gets tired of shaving that it's time for a change. On those occasions I use a Braun Series 3 but I have been reading some impressive things about the Panasonic Linears, which are wet/dry shavers, on this forum. There are also some discount codes that you can use if you buy from Amazon. I usually put on some Williams Lectric Shave prior to shaving with the Braun and I get pretty much as close as with a blade.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 03:00:11 PM »
More detail as how what you use, how you use them, etc. would help us help you.   
I have found that the more wet your scalp is the easier it is to get it smooth.  Make sure
it is as wet as possible.   If it becomes dry at some point while you are shaving then wet
it again.   If  you go over a certain area over and over and it is dry then from my experience
you will feel frustrated and tnere will be little success.   Keep it wet and you will have to go
over certain areas less times.

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 02:32:44 PM »
No.  Its fine .. so long as you don't mind parading around for the next week looking like your head encountered a nest of half-starved yellow jackets.

Offline anaboliQ

• The Problem
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 04:03:25 PM »
Have you considered an electric? I normally use a Head Blade Sport but I know when my scalp gets tired of shaving that it's time for a change. On those occasions I use a Braun Series 3 but I have been reading some impressive things about the Panasonic Linears, which are wet/dry shavers, on this forum. There are also some discount codes that you can use if you buy from Amazon. I usually put on some Williams Lectric Shave prior to shaving with the Braun and I get pretty much as close as with a blade.

grabbed a panasonic linear off e-bay recently for $39.  Excellent for late evening touchups or dry sly.  Very close shave for an electric. Im impressed.
Call me whatever u want now cuz in 3 years you have to call me Doctor.

Offline Omegaboot

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »
Heh. Just stumbled across this. New here.

Anyway, I tried Magic Razorless Shave Cream Regular and Magic Razorless Shave Cream Smooth (their full names) recently. I am Caucasian, so I was a little concerned about the fact that the products were formulated for "men of color", but I decided to give it a try anyway. My conclusion? It's basically a chemical shave, cuts off hair like a razor would. If used properly, shouldn't cause any irritation, unless you're sensitive. Furthermore, best results will be achieved if hair or beard, depending on which product you're using (regular for beard, smooth for hair), are quite short, maybe no more than a week or two of growth at medium rate.

What happened was, I had about a month's growth of beard and hair. I applied creams, but the length of the hair made the application uneven, so I was left with patches of hair and a straggly beard, including an almost-whole moustache and heavy patches of hair on the temples. The next day, I had to go to work early, so it had been only 18 hours since the first application, instead of the 24 the products recommend, but the Smooth did its job, removing all the leftover patches. The Regular, however, still left some beard hair around the mouth, as well as patches in the sideburn area, so being a little anxious, I decided to apply a little more for a third time. The last of the beard was finally gone, but within hours I noticed that, while the second application had not had any ill effects, the third one had, leaving a pretty bad-looking chemical razorburn under the corners of my mouth, as well as a small scabbing patch in front of one ear. The skin was obviously irritated, but just a little sensitive to the touch. The hair and beard were all gone, however, albeit already darkening a little (I have dark-brown hair, and have a shadow immediately after shaving, as I did after using this product).

In conclusion, YMMV, but the product works, for me at least, as long as instructions are followed, and some precautions taken. I may use it again, but will make sure hair/beard are short, or at least trimmed a couple days beforehand. The irritation is a factor, but I irritate easily even when shaving, whether blade or electric, so that's not as much of a con for me either. The closeness of the shave is about the same, too.

Maybe next time I'll try a Head Blade.  O0

Addendum: Some tips.
  • Do not wash before applying. Best to do in the morning, unless you had a sweaty night - you want to be dry and a little oily when doing this, in my experience.
  • Resist the temptation to slather it on, like shaving cream. It doesn't foam. Smear thinly but evenly(appropriate thickness for your hair can be achieved with trial and error, but starting thin is best for your first time), and do work it into thick patches. I suspect some of the horror stories may have come of using too much, or on wet, oil-less skin.
  • Trim roughly 2 days before applying, as I mentioned above.
  • If it starts to burn, wipe immediately, rinse well, apply soothing lotion - Banana Boat Aloe After Sun is great.
  • Wipe firmly and thoroughly. Rinse your washcloth liberally, wring out, keep wiping.
  • NO soap. It mentions that in the instructions.
  • If hair patches are left, sorry. Please wait. If just stray hairs, you can trim carefully with a razor or trimmer - VERY carefully.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:21:10 PM by Omegaboot »