Author Topic: Well, it's over!  (Read 6077 times)

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Well, it's over!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 10:27:59 PM »
That's too bad, Stephen. Sounds like you've already landed on your feet and have a good, stable job in the medical field and a fantastic wife and family for support. There's a huge "trickle down" effect hitting a lot of smaller businesses. Another opportunity will surface, guaranteed. As long as you have enough to buy those Fusion blades, all is cool!

GASlick

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 10:32:41 PM »
Thanks everyone!  A lot of great points were made that I had not thought of.  Starting a business in this financial climate and having it survive for 2 years isn't bad! 

Secondly, if we never tried we never would have known.  Life is good.  I must admit my wife and I are relieved that everything is over.  We have worked ourselves to the point of exhaustion for  two years now.  We are going to stop, take a break and catch our breath for a while.

Thirdly, I am still SLY and married.  I have a friend who lost his marriage along with his business.

Thanks again for all the words of support!  You guys are the greatest.

Offline 20, bald, and loving it

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 12:43:58 AM »
Sorry to hear about that man. Way to keep your chin up.  O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 06:53:33 AM »
Really sorry your good work didn't result in the results you deserve.  One brief point, my father opened his business the day the market busted in 1929, starting the Great Depression.  That effort too resulted in a bankruptcy, but he didn't let it stop him, he got back up, did it again with what he'd learned and was ultimately tremendously successful.  It's not the getting knocked down part that's important, it's how you get up.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 08:41:32 AM »
Stephen,

Hang in there, buddy.  As the guys have said, you were going against a tremendous economic downturn.  Consider all that you learned about starting up a business....that experience will serve you well in the years ahead.

You're a young guy with a bright future.

You are so right:  take some time to recoup.

SlyHigh

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 10:44:14 AM »
We started our camera lens rental business a year ago.  In fact, we started June 5th.  Our first order was June 11th.

I tried to project how successful it would be, but it was very difficult.  You just can't ever tell.

Luckily, we are still going.  The business is supporting itself, but we aren't making much of any profit.  I've thought about shutting it down or selling it.  But for now, we are keeping it going.  It doesn't take too much time out of our lives.

Even though it isn't making a profit, I would still do it again.  I've learned a lot.  I've enjoyed the experience it's given us.  In the end, we may end up losing money.  But just remember, you made the best decisions you could have at every point in time.  Don't look back with regrets.

With all you've learned, you can apply those things to future endevors.  Even if you never own a business again, that knowledge will help you.

Keep you sly head held high!

adam_r_todd

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 01:04:05 PM »
I would still do it again.  I've learned a lot.  I've enjoyed the experience it's given us.  In the end, we may end up losing money.  But just remember, you made the best decisions you could have at every point in time.  Don't look back with regrets.

With all you've learned, you can apply those things to future endevors.

Now that is some good advice!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 06:44:24 PM »
We started our camera lens rental business a year ago.  In fact, we started June 5th.  Our first order was June 11th.

I tried to project how successful it would be, but it was very difficult.  You just can't ever tell.

Luckily, we are still going.  The business is supporting itself, but we aren't making much of any profit.  I've thought about shutting it down or selling it.  But for now, we are keeping it going.  It doesn't take too much time out of our lives.

Do you guys rent to local folks or anywhere?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

SlyHigh

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 07:09:04 AM »

Do you guys rent to local folks or anywhere?

We live in a rural area, and we haven't rented to anyone local yet.  We have several customers in Arkansas (the main camera store in AR sends rental customers to us).  We rent to anyone in the US.  We are strictly an internet business (we run it out of our house, so there is no retail store).  Our web site is www.rentmylenses.com

The dynamics of an internet business are interesting.  We get a lot of phone calls from customers, but we often aren't home to answer.  I have our phone set up to text and email me when we get a voice mail.  With having an internet business, you are always tied to it, no matter where you go.  We can't go on an extended vacation, because orders can come in that may need to be shipped out.  But we don't really feel tied down to the business.

Offline Wil87

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Low Lie The Fields of Athenry
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 08:27:52 AM »
GAslick, I am really sorry to hear about the business!! But I am really envious of your amazing positive outlook!!

Keep it up dude!!

Enter your email address: