Author Topic: What's it all cost???  (Read 3202 times)

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
What's it all cost???
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »
        Just wondering, do any of you have a clue what you spend on shaving in a month?  I was actually doing great until I discovered this forum!! Now in the last month I've tried so many products I have probably spent a couple of hundred bucks in a month!!        
         So fess up and let us all know what sly costs you!!  

It's all about attitude!

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
Re: What's it all cost???
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:12:08 AM »
For me most of my costs are pretty cheap. I spend around $10 on the headslick every month and maybe $20-30 on new heads for the razor and thats about it. I dont use any other products really except every once in awhile I will use some rubbing alcohol on my head but thats about it.

So a total of maybe $30-40

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:21:03 AM »
Hey Gary,
Here's a thread I started last year about comparing the cost of being sly to having a horseshoe of hair. As others have pointed out, you can't put a price on self-confidence.

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=4670.0

Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:27:38 AM »
Once you get your routine set, your costs will get down to a more manageable number.  I think my costs are around $6 for blades, $15 my lotions and creams.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 01:19:38 PM »
     Thanks all, and Schro that was a great link!          I agree with what you have all said. I just get to caught up in the perfect shave!!  If I hear a good report from here I have to try it!! For example: I tried 2 types of oil. Had never tried the oil thing. Bought a HeadBlade Cap. Had to try some head wipes, which I had never used before. b!@h b!@h b!@h      OK, I CONFESS! My name is Gary and I'm a shaveoholic!!! 
It's all about attitude!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »
i spend about 20-25 a month on shaving...but that is only up about 10 bucks on what normally would spend on just shaving my face and butt...( I know you all will say..I thought those two were the same, but go ahead, I already hear it before it starts to form as a thought in your mind)

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
i spend about 20-25 a month on shaving...but that is only up about 10 bucks on what normally would spend on just shaving my face

And think that $10 is less than what you would spend on shampoo, styling products, and haircuts.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:00:59 PM »
Good question Gary. 
 For each month I have to use:
4 Mach 3 blades a month (total cost $13). 
half a tube of Bald Guyz shave gel ...........$2.99
a quarter Bald Guyz moisture gel tube...........$1.50
one FIFTH Bald Guyz wash & shampoo..........$1.40
about 15% of Bald Guyz pre-shave scrub........$1.28

total cost:  $20.17 U.S.
that cost is likely to go down because I am starting to put my mach 3 blades in olive oil. 
That's supposed to make them last longer.   O0

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »
Staying completely bald, shaving my entire head and face, at least once daily is dirt cheap for me'.  I use the Schick  Extreme disposable razors.  One razor lasts weeks for me.  My "luxury" is HeadSlick, which a bottle lasts a long time.  I shave just as often using olive oil or vitamin E oil and bar soap and get just as slick. That must costs pennies.  I use traditional Bay rum or Old Spice, or Clubman aftershave.  its old fashioned and cheap(er..i mean inexpensive  LOL)

I've been looking for a quality Bay Rum aftershave for eons it seems now, do you buy yours locally?

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:04:22 AM »
Staying completely bald, shaving my entire head and face, at least once daily is dirt cheap for me'.  I use the Schick  Extreme disposable razors.  One razor lasts weeks for me.  My "luxury" is HeadSlick, which a bottle lasts a long time.  I shave just as often using olive oil or vitamin E oil and bar soap and get just as slick. That must costs pennies.  I use traditional Bay rum or Old Spice, or Clubman aftershave.  its old fashioned and cheap(er..i mean inexpensive  LOL)

I've been looking for a quality Bay Rum aftershave for eons it seems now, do you buy yours locally?

I keep an eye open for the "Pinaud" brand Bay Rum at CVS or Walgreen'  Its the same company that makes Clubman.  I have buddies that make fun of the old-fashioned barbershop stuff but I have always like it.    I understand that the national chain Sallys Beauty Supply supply also sells it but I have never checked it out.  I have seen it in other "beauty" store as well when I was dispatched on shoplifting calls(Im a policeman). One shoplifting call I was sent to occurred at a Korean owned beauty supply store for women of color. They had a big section devoted to mens shaving and had Clubman and Clubman Bay Rum. I thought it was strange from the store front becuase that isnt something women would buy.  Thats a store I wouldnever go in had I not been on a call.  I meant to go back when I was off-duty and when I remembered once, the store was out of business.  It was being picked clean.

I'll look for it when I in a drugstore and stock up when they have it. Some of the few family owned drugstores still sell it.  Im not much of a shopper.  YOu can order very good bay rum through the net and it can be expensive.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 09:45:15 AM »
    OK, I CONFESS! My name is Gary and I'm a shaveoholic!!! 

(The whole room speaks as one). HI GARY!
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 10:05:20 AM »
As you know, I am BBC for now.  Noticing a big area right on top of the head, about siver dollar size,  that is thinning and the hair is not growing. (?) However, being BBC in lieu of MPB (so far) my razor blades do not last. Therefore my cost are quite expensive. Blades generally last only or 2 or 3 shaves.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 10:08:29 AM »
The Gillette Fusion razors really kill me, other than that I'd say maybe 20-30 bucks a month. HeadSlick lasts a while and so do my Bald Guyz products.

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 10:48:14 AM »
im a DE shaver so my costs are quite less than most who posted here. the blades i use to shave my head cost between .9 to .14 cents when i buy in bulk of a 100 blades in a batch. they last between 3 to 5 shaves.

not to mention it is way closer than a cartridge shave .

i use kiss my face shave creams mostly but have quite a few English creams and use a brush for all of these.

so average cost is less than 9 bucks. but you have to remember that this kind of shaving takes dedication and you have to get the hang of it before you attempt to shave the head.

after you do you will never get a closer shave.

randy

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »
I would have to estimate no more than $15.00 a month.   I use the HeadBlade trips and get a good week and a half out of each one, HeadSlick on sale for $5.99-$6.99 and a bottle of Aloe Vera gel I have had for 4 months now.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost