Author Topic: Audio Books  (Read 9420 times)

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Audio Books
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »
OK, you guys are losing me. How would you advise a greenhorn like me to start out.?

Get your audio books on regular audio CDs.  There are thousands of them.  You can borrow them from the library if you like.  They will play in your car or any standard CD Walkman type player.

Red

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 01:40:35 PM »
You could also grab the high school kid down the street and pay him $20 to show you how to do everything.

Yes, it is indeed daunting for us over fifties.  Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 01:40:59 PM »
OK, you guys are losing me. How would you advise a greenhorn like me to start out.?

If it's to start out listening to Audio Books, just buy the CD version and plop them into your CD player. 

If you're looking to get an MP3 player, the easiest way is to get an MP3 player like a iPod or Creative Zen and buy MP3's from Amazon or iTunes.  You could even use Audible.com if you just planned on listening to the books on your MP3 player.

You could also grab the high school kid down the street and pay him $20 to show you how to do everything.

My son will probably do it for ten but he is in Mexico at the moment. Thanks.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »
Sorry, that may have come off wrong.  I just meant that it might be a quick way to learn what you need to learn.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 02:01:19 PM »
Sorry, that may have come off wrong.  I just meant that it might be a quick way to learn what you need to learn.

No offence taken by me.  I was dead serious.  Learning about MP3 compression and players was difficult for me. 

Anyone seen my 45 adapters? (if you understand that, you're old)

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 02:08:05 PM »
Yes, I remember them well Red.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 04:38:14 PM »
My girlfriend uses Kurzweil to read all of her digital texts to her. It's expensive but it can read any kind of digital text such as word documents, even scanned pages. And there are tons of free pdf's and ebooks out there.

There are also a lot of sites dedicated to free audiobooks such as:
http://freeclassicaudiobooks.com/
http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/screen_main.asp
http://librivox.org/
etc.

I currently have a couple Anthony Robbins books to listen to on the bus.

Offline frank_m

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
One of the things I do for audio books, is I load them on to the MicroSD card of my BlackBerry.
basically treat the audio book as music, when I'm driving I can listen to a book and when a call comes in it pauses the book, I take the call.... and when I end the call the audio book resumes right where I left off... I don't even have to look at it.   it works for me like this... everybody can find an inexpensive way of listening to audio books while driving, that's a great use of unproductive time.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 12:32:06 AM »
One of the things I do for audio books, is I load them on to the MicroSD card of my BlackBerry.
basically treat the audio book as music, when I'm driving I can listen to a book and when a call comes in it pauses the book, I take the call.... and when I end the call the audio book resumes right where I left off... I don't even have to look at it.   it works for me like this... everybody can find an inexpensive way of listening to audio books while driving, that's a great use of unproductive time.

I started doing the same thing!  I have two audio books on there right now, but they are only 2 hours each.  It also works when I'm accompanying my wife somewhere and have to wait for her.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.