Author Topic: Worklog - Project: Grunge Honey  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
Re: Worklog - Project: Grunge Honey
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 08:47:11 PM »
I applied bondo to the bezel and started sanding it. It's still quite rough so I will have to repeat the process a couple times to build the layers and contours I want.

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 06:44:35 AM »
Looks like a neat mod so far. You said its based off of a tattoo you have? can we see the tat? And is that a server chassis? It looks HUGE.

Good work so far dude! O0
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 05:29:26 PM »
Looks like a neat mod so far. You said its based off of a tattoo you have? can we see the tat? And is that a server chassis? It looks HUGE.

Good work so far dude! O0

Heres a pic of the tattoo I mentioned, I have 5 tattoo's in total. I got it shortly before I began business college, just to mark that I was entering the work force and becoming a "worker bee" but also to remind myself I was not a drone. The case is a Full tower, it is larger than a midtower which is what most home pc's are, in fact its almost three feet tall I wanted it big because I like to have a lot of space on the inside so that I can actually get my hands in there.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 05:39:06 PM »
I'm using #8-32 X 3" Robertson pan head bolts to secure all my fans, why Robertson? (square head) because it was invented by a Canadian.
The reason I am using 3 inch bolts is because instead of a single fan per mount, I am double stacking them. You can see in the next couple of pictures two of the front 120mm's stacked with a single one mounted  below it. I'm waiting for another 120mm and 140mm fan to come in. Making in total:
4 X 120mm fans in front
1 X 80mm fan in the rear
2 X 140mm fan in rear
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:46:18 PM by shdwwlk »

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 06:37:43 PM »
Ran into trouble. Apparently the switches I have are all SPST on/off switches. I can't use these to turn ON my computer, just to turn on other components such as fans. Apparently I need to look for DPST or momentary switches.

Unfortunately The Source doesn't carry DPST momentary toggle switches and I haven't the faintest idea where I can get them locally. Thankfully I figure its still going to be at least another 5 weeks before I get this case finished. If any of you sly guys know where I can get one cheap, or have one laying around contact me  ;)

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 06:56:31 AM »
I'm using #8-32 X 3" Robertson pan head bolts to secure all my fans, why Robertson? (square head) because it was invented by a Canadian.
The reason I am using 3 inch bolts is because instead of a single fan per mount, I am double stacking them. You can see in the next couple of pictures two of the front 120mm's stacked with a single one mounted  below it. I'm waiting for another 120mm and 140mm fan to come in. Making in total:
4 X 120mm fans in front
1 X 80mm fan in the rear
2 X 140mm fan in rear

good lord its going to sound like a jet taking off! haha
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 07:25:53 AM »
4 X 120mm fans in front
1 X 80mm fan in the rear
2 X 140mm fan in rear

good lord its going to sound like a jet taking off! haha

Haha pretty much! I am using rubber grommets between the fans, bolts and the case, so it should cut down a fair bit of the noise. None of my fans are over 33db, but stacking them the way I am I have no idea what its going to sound like.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 02:47:06 PM »
Filled in the pits, sanded, primed and painted!

I am thinking about painting the interior of the intakes black, and lining it with hexagonal mesh. I am not sure yet.

Ignore the fact that the chair has been destroyed, one of its legs is broken anyway.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:59:08 PM by shdwwlk »

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
I found a sleeving kit I bought almost two years buried under junk, so I:

Sleeved my fan cables

Made a custom switch cable for a dual CCFL kit (yellow) I also had laying around.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »
I took the little metal clip springs from the case and sprayed them with Duplicolors Metallic Flake, third picture you can seen them put back in place.

A kind gentleman by name of Horst sent me a DPDT momentary switch, junk to him, gold to me! I polished it up with some silver cleaner.

I also bought beer for the weekend O0
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:50:11 PM by shdwwlk »

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 03:51:44 PM »
I still haven't figured out how I am going to make the paint finish "grunge" I'd like to give it a weathered look but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 06:41:59 AM »
sandpaper?

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 09:10:27 AM »
sandpaper?

That's a great idea! It should give it a kind of distressed finished. I'll experiment later today O0

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 12:52:31 PM »
Well I took a shot and rough sanded everything that was yellow, I think it came out pretty bangin'

I was going to originally stencil big black hexagons around the intake holes, but it looked terrible. I'm not that artistic, so go figure eh. I ended up painstakingly peeling it off while it was still somewhat gooey with my finger nail, so if you look close around the top intake you can see its outline. I painted the interior black, and spritzed around the edge, I think it came out tight.

And I took hexagon mesh and replaced some of the 5.25" bay covers, gives it a little bit of an industrial edge, I'm going to secure it with 3M double sided tape.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
That is looking pretty sweet
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!