Author Topic: Matte Products?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline jasonfieber

• Wish I was on a beach...
  • Sly Jr.
  • Bald For Life
Matte Products?
« on: April 05, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Hey all,

I have a problem with oily skin...very oily skin. It produces quite a shine on my head which some of you may consider a blessing, but I don't. When I say "shine" I mean my head gets very greasy. I don't care for that at all. I've tried using matte products from all over, and from my experience the ones that are non-comedogenic (don't cause breakouts) don't seem to work very well...the ones that are clay based seem to work ok, but they cause breakouts which I'm sensitive too. I've tried quite a few, but not everything? Anybody know of anything that at least slows the amount of time before considerable shine shows? And when I say my skin is very oily, I'm talking about using 5-6 of those oil absorbing sheets every couple hours, that's pretty extreme.

Now, here's the kicker. I have fairly dry skin too. You can have dry and oily skin. Your skin can produce too much oil, which has nothing to do with moisture content, and more to do with overactive oil glands. The few products that were clay based that seemed to cut down on shine didn't moisturize enough and so I had a dry/oily look...which is just about the worst look you can have. I'd rather just use those oil blotting sheets every couple hours.

Sorry to rant, I probably sound like a woman haha. But, if anyone shares my problem I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks fellas!

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Matte Products?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »
What have you tried so far?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline jasonfieber

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald For Life
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 09:15:33 PM »
I've tried too many to remember. I've tried the C.O. Bigelow line of stuff most recently. The clay based moisturizer worked pretty well and cut down on shine quite a bit, but left a white powder finish behind from the clay. I think that in the end there is no product that can possibly work for someone with extremely oily skin, because in the end this oil is coming out of your pores and it has to go somewhere...something already on your skin can't really absorb much of it because it's already on the skin. Other than removing it by washing or wiping..I just can't imagine any product really cutting down on shine that much.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 10:32:55 PM »
Have you tried a dusting of baby powder or talcum powder?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline jasonfieber

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald For Life
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:50:32 PM »
I haven't tried that, I'd be concerned about the residue and possibility of clogging pores. You think that would work?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:52:36 PM »
I'd say it's worth a try once or twice to see if it works. 

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:48:27 PM »
Damn, I wonder if a anti-perspirant would work.

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 12:25:16 AM »
Antiperspirant has aluminum in it to block the pores.  It doesn't sound like a good idea to rub that all over your noggin.   
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »
I have combination skin (dry/oily) so to combat firstly the dryness the best product that I have come across and use presently is Wibi lotion from Dermadoctor. It is brilliant for anyone prone to a dry scalp/face after shaving. The good thing is it absorbs quickly into the skin and doesn't cause any blocking of pores, therefore, no spots/pimple breakouts.

A product which combats oily/sweaty skin is driclor which contains aluminum chloride/alcohol in water. It is excellent for the armpits/hands/feet, but the noggin may be too sensitive for it.

Offline jasonfieber

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald For Life
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »
Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm going to keep my eyes open. My process with the blotting sheets will just have to do, I feel that in the end when you get a buildup of something you can only "absorb" so much before you have to wick it away by some method.

Enter your email address: