Author Topic: Skin irritations.  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
Skin irritations.
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »
Apart from benzoyl peroxide what do people put on scalp rashes/pimples/irritations to hasten the recovery process.

Thanks

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Skin irritations.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »
Witchhazel is an inexpensive astringent that works great for me.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:51:49 AM »
Hey bro, what shaving cream or gel do you use?  A good one will minimize irritation.
I use bald guyz shave gel and then when I'm done I put on bald guyz moisture gel and that's it.
I have sensitive skin but a good shaving gel will nearly eliminate irritation you talk about.  It may not necessarily be bald guyz shave gel.  It depends on your head.  You have to try some different ones until you see the one that does the magic for you.   But regardless of the shave gel, bald guyz moisture gel is inexpensive and heals the irritation effectively. 

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:11:13 AM »
i've heard witch hazel works wonders. when i first started shaving the dome, i would use aloe vera to help prevent against irritation.

basically...shave, cold water rinse, ice cube rub, dry, aftershave, aloe vera...that would be my post shave routine
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline 20, bald, and loving it

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »
I've been using bump patrol and it has worked great.

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »
Hey bro, what shaving cream or gel do you use?  A good one will minimize irritation.
I use bald guyz shave gel and then when I'm done I put on bald guyz moisture gel and that's it.
I have sensitive skin but a good shaving gel will nearly eliminate irritation you talk about.  It may not necessarily be bald guyz shave gel.  It depends on your head.  You have to try some different ones until you see the one that does the magic for you.   But regardless of the shave gel, bald guyz moisture gel is inexpensive and heals the irritation effectively. 

I shave with Gillette fusion gel (sensitive) after first putting TCP on the scalp (alcohol based) as an astringent/protect from nicks. Before that I used the Gillette fusion foam. But, it contains SLS, which is a known irritant to sensitive skin. So, I changed to the gel.

I use bald guyz moisturiser postshaving (bought last year in the US and will restock next month when I visit again) and plan on getting the bald guyz shaving gel as well.

Thanks Math guys.

BTW, Maths was my subsidiary subject to Chemistry in Uni .O0

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »

I shave with Gillette fusion gel (sensitive) after first putting TCP on the scalp (alcohol based) as an astringent/protect from nicks. Before that I used the Gillette fusion foam. But, it contains SLS, which is a known irritant to sensitive skin. So, I changed to the gel.

I use bald guyz moisturiser postshaving (bought last year in the US and will restock next month when I visit again) and plan on getting the bald guyz shaving gel as well.

Thanks Math guys.

BTW, Maths was my subsidiary subject to Chemistry in Uni .O0

Yeah well Mathematics is the best subject so I am not surprised it was your subsidiary.  Even Chemists appreciate math. O:O
Ok, bro I am a mathematician and not an expert on head shaving but I would say that perhaps the alcohol based thing should be avoided.  It may well be that the alcohol is what causes the irritation.
Here is what you need to do.  Pre-shave scrub............Bald Guyz has a pre-shave scrub.  Use it before you shave  (or try any other pre-shave scrub and see what happens).   Then when you apply a good shave gel like Bald Guyz Clear Shave Gel it will give you enough protection against nicks.  You may want to try the new "citizen smooth shave cream" available at citizensmooth.com (they gave free samples for those in U.S. I don't know if they still do, you can always contact them).   The citizen smooth shave cream offers more protection than probably all shave creams out there!!  So if you are really concerned about nicks, that's the best one out there!!  On the other hand, other good shave gels like Bald Guyz or headslick should give you enough protection................If they didn't both Bald Guyz and the Headblade company would go out of business!!
I used to shave with Gillette series shave gel and yeah just like your gillette fusion one it was made for "sensitive skin".   Unfortunately, I would still get irritation and nicks.  But shave creams/gels like bald guyz or headslick don't have to tell you it's for sensitive skin and yet offer much protection.
Sorry for the long message.

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 03:36:59 PM »
Thanks Math Guy. Appreciate info!

Also, cheers guys for the additional input. O0

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
Citizen Smooth not shipping outwith US at the moment and have no stockists in Europe at present. They are keping this under review.
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 04:40:53 PM »
I use Thayer's Witch Hazel and have never had a problem.