Author Topic: why to avoid red meat  (Read 9263 times)

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: why to avoid red meat
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 10:08:48 PM »
I saw the red meat headlines, too.

Of course, I grilled a beautiful, lean New York steak tonight and slapped some gorgonzola on it when it came off the grill. I split it with my wife and we had a big salad with oranges and spring greens, steamed brocolli, and some homemade pilaf. And a small glass of red wine. I’m of the “everything in moderation” mindset. Just as happy eating fresh fish, chicken, pork or vegetarian dishes. If you exercise and don't overindulge, it's all good.

GASlick

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 10:59:39 PM »
......and Champ brings it on home!   ;D

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 11:18:34 PM »
I'm getting the distinct impression that all of us are saying the same thing without saying it.....variety is the spice of life.

The Lovely Mrs. Schro & I (plus both kids) love all sorts of different foods. I love the fact that both Nicole & Alex are not the typical picky kids....they are very adventurous when it comes to foods. They eat all veggies that we eat, love sashimi, steak, pork, salmon, chicken, etc. etc. etc. Plus, all different cuisines are fair game in Chateau Schro....mexican, thai, italian, american, chinese. It's all good.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 05:42:57 AM »
I have only two rules about eating:

1) If you can put it on a plate and it's not moving too fast, I'll probably eat it (with the exception of item 2 below).

2) If it performed a pumping or walking function while it was alive I won't eat it (feet, hearts, kidneys, etc.)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 08:15:44 AM »
I was raised in a ranching and farming family. Nuff said I believe......
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

HoodooMan

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 06:25:24 PM »
i love red meat so much just seeing the cows in the field across the street makes my mouth water. as everyone said, in moderation is definately best. i could eat red meat every day though. nothing like a nice juicy prime rib with grilled mushrooms on top! leave that baby pink in the middle too!! :@`

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 08:24:12 PM »
i love red meat so much just seeing the cows in the field across the street makes my mouth water. as everyone said, in moderation is definately best. i could eat red meat every day though. nothing like a nice juicy prime rib with grilled mushrooms on top! leave that baby pink in the middle too!! :@`

+1
Yummmmmmmmmmy!

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 08:57:47 AM »
MEAT, MEAT, MEAT!! Gimme more..........

Now, I do regulate it to one red meat dish per week.

But, if we're camping or something, one of the requirements is that we buy a couple of steaks and have with really good Micro Brew. Oh  man we're not going camping for another month!!!!!

I figure God gave me insicors to rip and chew and pull apart. I'm not going to waste that cause I know that it's good and good for me!
It's all about attitude!

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 07:29:19 AM »
I love red meat, particularly Scottish beef: best meat in UK! as well as other meats, fish, veg: like someone else said, I just love FOOD! 8)

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
Red meat, is probably one of the greatest things in the history of the universe. I could live off steak alone.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 09:52:21 AM »
Interesting how people obsess on what they eat.  Pork and chicken, world wide are the most popular forms of animal protein, yet the Jewish and Islamic religions prohibit pork!  There are loads of theories why the prohibitions exist.  Devote Hindus won't touch beef.  Yet the lowly chicken is the host of bird flu and is thought to harbor many other viruses that could cause pandemics--we're warned all the time about how it must be carefully handled.  Eggs can come precontaminated with salmonella--even w/ uncracked shells.  Logic, in our times, might ban chicken.  Lamb and beef both can harbor the vector that is thought to cause Mad Cow Disease. 

My point is that Schro is right, variety not a blanket quasi-religious ban on eating certain things, particularly animal proteins, is the better way to treat these matters.  If you review the mediterranean diet, the Asian diet, etc., one common element--disregarding religious prohibitions, is that animal protein, in the sense of percentage of the total diet, is not as dominant--more of a flavoring.  As a result it isn't a steak, 50%, potatoes 35% green vegetables 15% diet as most Americans and some Europeans eat.  The other diets  add all vegetables, dried and fresh beans, rice, pasta--with and without eggs--so that there is a tremendous variety of food types, sources of protein and carbs--resulting in interesting and flavorful food that is good for you. 

This has been brought home to me by my daughter whose latest food fetish is "nothing w/ four legs" as it's base.  Fetishes aren't healthy and they're no fun to be around.  I try to vary my diet and consciously reduce the over all animal protein and add beans, etc. to balance my diet.  I have found that combined, beans and rice--think Cuban black beans and rice, New Orleans red beans and rice--provide a complete protein package equal to animal protein.  Great fiber, etc.  Let's get away from fetish, and into variety.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 10:57:37 AM »
Ohhh man saintc!! We used to have some close friends that were from Cuba. Once a year they would do a huge pig roast with real cuban beans and rice and lots of expresso!!! 
It's all about attitude!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 11:41:17 AM »
Ohhh man saintc!! We used to have some close friends that were from Cuba. Once a year they would do a huge pig roast with real cuban beans and rice and lots of expresso!!! 

Find them now, let's go eat!  Ropas Viejas (sp?) w/ black beans and rice--my mouth is watering.  There are some great Cuban dishes, and a Cuban Sandwich--oh boy, I ready to eat.

Offline pixtaker

• Futon John
  • Sly Jr.
  • Current pic. June 5, 2009
    • Futopia
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 01:32:35 PM »
/snip "Why you are you guys so much in love with red meat?  I love chicken and fish but red meat doesn't taste as good.  Well maybe the red meat I eat isn't good but come on red meat has to be overrated.
Chicken is the best. :)"

I'm sorry but you obviously haven't eaten QUALITY beef.  Growing up in Nebraska we're spoiled by the grain-fed Prime that can be found in virtually every supermarket.

My father in-law is a farmer and gives the family a side of beef a couple times a year.  Nothing better than quality red meat....except FREE red meat!
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine in 'The Age of Reason'

Offline hollidae

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 05:24:04 PM »
IF U WANTA TO GROW, U BETTER EAT RED MEAT 1-2X A DAY