Author Topic: The reactions I have had both good and bad  (Read 2322 times)

Learning2Live

The reactions I have had both good and bad
« on: March 24, 2009, 03:52:25 PM »
Hello again everyone, I thought I might as well let everyone know the different reactions I have had. It would seem I may have had an easier time then others which is odd given my age.

The first people to see me without hair was my immediate family. My dad thinks it looks okay but doesn't understand why I shave it (even though he is bald) my mum hates it but won't comment, my brother thinks it looks good and will probably do the same if he gets to my stage, and my sisters thought it would look weird but say I don't look that different and it suits  me.

I was of course expecting a lot of jokes from my friends. I get a few from a couple of guys but it is all just for a laugh and I don't really care. For example I play basketball and some of the guys always joke around with my head being the basketball  ;D A few people don't understand why I shave it and say they think it looked better cropped short, I don't know how anyone could not notice but oh well.

It has been funny reading here about how people will compare you to pretty much every bald dude, as if we all look the same. This is very true I have pretty much lost count of the different people I have been compared to, none I would really see as being bad. My personal favourite though is hitman and it is the most common. There is one person who gives me cueball every now and then but he is just joking around, funnily enough he was the only person joke around about the fact I was going bald. So I think he understands quite well while I shaved it all off.

So for me the reactions overall were generally either positive, don't care, or they don't like it much but it is my hair and I can do what I want with it. I am still yet to see quite a bit of family but it doesn't really matter if they like it or not, I am definitely staying sly  8)

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: The reactions I have had both good and bad
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »
Thanks for the update Learning.  It makes a positive statement that more guys sitting on the fence should read.  The best part though was the fact that you said "it doesn't really matter if they like it or not"   No truer words were ever spoken.  You just gotta be you.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:19:01 PM »
Hey, thanks for letting us know.  Usually one would care about what others think of his hair, but slybaldguys.com has taught me not to give a damn.   Boy, what a great lesson that has been for me!!!

Offline 20, bald, and loving it

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »
Thanks for letting us know. I was at the bowling alley and my buddy told me I should put my head in the bowling ball polisher. I thought that it was pretty funny. LOL

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »
It took my family two weeks and they didn't even think about it after that. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:03:32 AM »
L2L, good for you.  I like your attitude. Post a pic so we can see the deed.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Learning2Live

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 08:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think pleasing yourself really is the key, I have read it many times on here and it helped me to understand that you can't please everyone so you might as well please yourself.

One thing I didn't mention was that while I was cropping my hair progressively shorter my mother was not at all understanding about it. We argued about it more then once. The last time we argued about it I made the point that it is my hair and my choice, she acted as if I was going to shave her hair off or something. She claimed that I was being selfish and that me shaving my hair would have a large effect on others... I would of thought that my own mother or father (considering he is bald) would be little more supportive of me, but they seem to think that I was (and am) over reacting. So I was quite annoyed then, but that is in the past now  O0

I think I must look a bit more friendly or something now. In my first week back to uni I had about 5 people ask me different things (usually where something is on the campus). Plus I have had a few random girls say hello or good morning etc. when I walk past them, never got that when I had hair (or when I was wearing a hat as was often the case). So at the very least I stand out more  8)

If you check out my intro thread you can see my pic there Papa Don. I prefer putting as an attachment as then only members can see it. But I might put it as my avatar at some stage.

Enter your email address: