Author Topic: The first time you went sly, how did it happen?  (Read 2176 times)

flatdave

The first time you went sly, how did it happen?
« on: March 11, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »
Just wondering, the first time you went sly, how did it occur?  Did you do it yourself, have a friend do it or did you have a barber do the deed.  The first and second time I went sly, I did it myself but the third time I'm thinking a barber will do it.  If that doesn't happen, I'll do it myself again but with a different technique.  I've always clippered as short as I could get it and then razored it off but if I do it myself this time I think I'll clipper it as short as I can get it, take the old Norelco to it and then razor it.  Sorry if this has been around the corner more than once, there's just not enough hours in the day to read all the great posts here.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: The first time you went sly, how did it happen?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:14:37 PM »
I had been getting real close buzz cuts for some time.  Then when I was on vacation, I decided to go all the way and get a head shave.  I was in Italy, Naples to be exact, and I went into a local barbar shop and in tourist Italian asked the guy to shave my head.  He agreed to do it.  He did an okay job, but I was able to get a closer shave myself the next morning when I shaved my own dome.  Been shaving my head myself everyday since then.  The Naples trip was several years ago and I have no plans or desire to cease my shaving ritual.

The only time I might have a barbarshop shave again would be if I went on a camping trip and didn't shave for at least several days. 

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »
I had been going shorter and shorter for awhile and finally had planned on shaving on a friday after work.  But then on Thursday night, I got the urge to just go ahead and to it, so I went to the bathroom and grabbed a cheap disposable razor....and well... the rest is history.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline BaldMark

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:14:56 PM »
First time i went sly was Aug  20th 2008.  I looked in the mirror and said shave it off not with the intention of razoring it but buzzing it.  I put the #2 guard on the clippers and went to it.  After i was done i figured it's pretty short go shorter. put the #1 on and went again. After that i was like there isn't much left, took the guard off and went without the guard.  Then I said WHY NOT!! got out the razor and chromed it!  and it's has been that way ever since. 

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »
First time: July 4th 2007 (sort of my own private independence day!) I'd been buzzing down to a number '0' for about six months and while I was on holiday I decided to try it down to the bone, just for the duration of the two weeks holiday.  Needless to say, once I'd done the deed I hated to even let the stubble grow back.  It made me feel so much more confident as a SLY guy that I just kept it ever since.

It's a great feeling! 8)

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »
I needed a haircut and had been thinking about going Sly so I read stuff here and one day drove over to Couer D' Alene to the Walgreens and bought all the headblade stuff and a cheap pair of clippers. I got home and told my brother and he said he wanted to practice cutting hair and since I was going to shave it off anyway he did a couple styles like a fade, a mohawk, and some others then shaved it down. I went and showered and  shaved it down with the headblade. Since then (2 weeks ago) I have been shaving every day or every other day.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »
First time i went sly was Aug  20th 2008.  I looked in the mirror and said shave it off not with the intention of razoring it but buzzing it.  I put the #2 guard on the clippers and went to it.  After i was done i figured it's pretty short go shorter. put the #1 on and went again. After that i was like there isn't much left, took the guard off and went without the guard.  Then I said WHY NOT!! got out the razor and chromed it!  and it's has been that way ever since. 

Hey that's cool.   The first time I shaved was Aug 23th 2008 (3 days after Bald Mark :))
I was tired of all the dandruff and the hair thinning I thought I had.  Maybe my hair is not as thin as I believe but the problem really is that as a teenager I had really thick hair and you lose that as you get older. 
Anyway,  I used the clippers to get it short and then used my mach 3 razor and gillette shave gel.   It was not a pleasant experience for me because I missed many spots and the shave gel was not good as it left me with much irritation.   

parksie

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:37:41 PM »
The first time I did it was after i got a real short buzz cut back in 2006 come home and shaved it off with the at the time the new fusion.  O0

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »
I had been going shorter and shorter for about 2 years.  Just before my 34th birthday, I decided that it was time to go sly.  I did it myself, in front of the mirror, with a Mach 3.  I loved it, my wife loved it, and my kids loved it.  So, it's here to stay.

I've been experimenting with growing stubble for a couple of days.  This week, I shaved on Monday morning and then grew 4 days of stubble.  A couple of people like the stubble and a couple like the sly look.  I like both.  So, when I feel the mood, I'll shave.  If I decide to sleep in, I'll let it go that day.  Both work well for me.

Enter your email address: