Author Topic: THE WATCHMEN  (Read 3898 times)

Offline robo21

• Sly Jr.
Re: THE WATCHMEN
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 12:18:03 AM »
Looking forward to your review.  I am really looking forward to this movie and will be very disappointed if it is not at least half as good as the comic. 

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure it is going to be epic O0

Offline lostnfound21

• Sly Jr.
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »
Okay...I went with my girl and a couple friends to a private screening last night and...wow. Let me set the record straight on a couple of things first. Number one being that I am a HUGE fan of the graphic novel and I've waited a long time for a movie to be made, even though the general opinion amongst the fanboys was that you couldn't make a movie out of Watchmen.

Now...did they leave some things out? Yes. They had to because otherwise you'd have a 6 hour movie.

Did they condense some things and make some small changes here and there? Yes. But the things they changed worked within the context of the movie.

It was not as good as the graphic novel and it's ridiculous to think it would be. However...I think they nailed it.

The movie was dark and heavy. Very heavy. They really captured the spirit of the graphic novel. Visually, it was excellent. The costumes, the scenery, even a lot of the CGI. They couldn't have cast the movie more perfectly. Rorshach, Night Owl, The Comedian, Dr Manhatthan all were spectacular. I've seen at a lot of fan sites people complaining about casting Matthew Goode as Ozymandias and they couldn't be more wrong. He was fantastic.

At times, it seemed like instead of actually drawing up a storyboard they just used the book.

Was it perfect? No. But it was about as close to a perfect adaption as you're going to get. I can't wait for the director's cut to come out on DVD.

If you read the book and are a hardcore fan, go in with an open mind. It's not to the letter, but it's still pretty amazing and well worth the wait.

I give it a 9 out of 10 and I would go as far as saying it was a BETTER movie than The Dark Knight.

If there's anything specific you want to know about it, just ask and I'll do my best to answer without spoiling the movie.

Offline robo21

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 10:16:31 AM »
Thanks for the review.  I have to help a friend move so I won't get to see it till tomorrow night.  Glad to hear it is good and I can't wait to see it. 

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »
I`M a big fan of comic book movies,but this was not my cup of tea.I guess you have to be a fan of the graphic novel.
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline robo21

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 12:55:16 AM »
I loved the movie.  I think it really does help to have read the book.  There were a lot of scenes that would be hard for anyone who has not read it to understand. 

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 09:46:07 AM »
Im a big fan of the comic book movies...not sure about this one. Looks good in the previews...
Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 10:42:01 AM »
Okay...I went with my girl and a couple friends to a private screening last night and...wow. Let me set the record straight on a couple of things first. Number one being that I am a HUGE fan of the graphic novel and I've waited a long time for a movie to be made, even though the general opinion amongst the fanboys was that you couldn't make a movie out of Watchmen.

Now...did they leave some things out? Yes. They had to because otherwise you'd have a 6 hour movie.

Did they condense some things and make some small changes here and there? Yes. But the things they changed worked within the context of the movie.

It was not as good as the graphic novel and it's ridiculous to think it would be. However...I think they nailed it.

The movie was dark and heavy. Very heavy. They really captured the spirit of the graphic novel. Visually, it was excellent. The costumes, the scenery, even a lot of the CGI. They couldn't have cast the movie more perfectly. Rorshach, Night Owl, The Comedian, Dr Manhatthan all were spectacular. I've seen at a lot of fan sites people complaining about casting Matthew Goode as Ozymandias and they couldn't be more wrong. He was fantastic.

At times, it seemed like instead of actually drawing up a storyboard they just used the book.

Was it perfect? No. But it was about as close to a perfect adaption as you're going to get. I can't wait for the director's cut to come out on DVD.

If you read the book and are a hardcore fan, go in with an open mind. It's not to the letter, but it's still pretty amazing and well worth the wait.

I give it a 9 out of 10 and I would go as far as saying it was a BETTER movie than The Dark Knight.

If there's anything specific you want to know about it, just ask and I'll do my best to answer without spoiling the movie.

thats a bold statement my friend lol. the dark knight won an oscar i believe.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 06:53:10 PM »

thats a bold statement my friend lol. the dark knight won an oscar i believe.

Just because it won an oscar doesn't mean it was a great movie.

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 06:36:54 AM »
I loved the movie.  I think it really does help to have read the book.  There were a lot of scenes that would be hard for anyone who has not read it to understand. 

I've been reading and re-reading the book for years now. I went into the movie with high hopes and was thrilled with the results. I've seen it 3 times now, with different friends and groups of friends and what I have found is that the people who had NOT read the book before seeing the movie went right out and did so.

They said they dug the way that the book just seems to elaborate on the existing story from the movie rather than the film having gone in a completely different direction. Which is a cool way to put it I think.

Rather than editing out entire story lines (ala Lord of the Rings, etc.) the director just condensed them and made them all tie in together, which is way cool.

Overall as a 35 year old, die hard, life long comic book geek, I have to say this is one of the best adaptations I've ever seen.

P.S. Jackie Earle Haley is amazing and perfectly cast as Rorschach
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Enter your email address: