Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 368599 times)

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
I've only been shaving my dome for a week now. I had been using a panasonic wet/dry electric but this morning used a schick extreme 3 disposable and edge gel in the shower. Then rinsed and washed it with some Nutrogena antibacterial soap the wife has. WOW, what a difference a blade makes. I thought it was smooth with the electric but there really is no comparison. I finished with an ice rub and some sunscreen/self tanning lotion.

Hey bro, just wondering what exactly that neutrogena antibacterial soap is, or where your wife picks it up? I've been searching for some but can never find it.
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »
Is this it? If so, I'm pretty sure Wal Mart and Target both carry it... might have to go to the cosmetic isle though.

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2008, 12:59:51 PM »
my bad it was "clean & clear oil free foaming facial cleanser" by johnson & johnson. I think it's available all over.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2008, 01:59:30 PM »
Awesome...thanks!
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Reyzor

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #274 on: July 24, 2008, 02:48:34 AM »
Every other day: 

Remington Face Saver, Pre-Shave Powder Stick or Afta pre-electric shave lotion (cue the music, "By Mennen") applied liberally.  Then I use my Remington MS2-390 electric shaver which was given to me as a gift to do the job.  Haven't gone back to a blade since, although I am considering on buying a Headblade sport. 

Offline babzog

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2008, 10:58:27 PM »
Oh man....

So my original HB triple dulled and I figured I'd try another blade.  Up here in igloo-land, the main drugstore chain (Shoppers) only carries Atra doubles (and knockoffs) and Sensor 3 (and knockoffs).  No HB blades and no Atra triples.  So, I try the Sensor 3 knockoff. 

Well, the darn thing just rides all weird on my head.  Not nice at all.  Feels like it's jumping and bumping all over the place (and gave me my first slice the other day - yeouch!).  When this blade is done, I'm gonna try the Atra double and if that fails, I'll have to order some blades from the makers as the original triple blade on the HB Sport worked really well.

Anywhere else in Canada to get HB products?

Update:

Was in the USA yesterday and stopped in at Walgreen's... was able to pick up the HB triple blades there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:10:51 AM by babzog »

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #276 on: August 04, 2008, 07:28:29 PM »
So far the Panasonic Vortex in the shower is my best option.

In the shower I run my head under hot water for about 2 minutes, and exfoliate the dome with Clean & Clear Morning Burst.
I use Shave Secret oil (about 5 drops) and top that with Head Slick mentholated shave cream.
Then with the Panasonic Linear ES 8078 I shave the entire head completely clean up and down with and against the grain all the way around. I can feel every little stubble and when I'm done is when there isn't any. After that is a quick rinse I switch the shower to cold for a bit and let it hit the noggin for a bit.
The out of the shower use a MACH 3 for any stragglers around the ears. A quick pat down with an astringent (especially around the neck area) and finish off with Loreal Men’s Expert After Shave Balm with SPF 15.

This seems to work great for me and is based mostly on the advice I got from SimplyRed. Thanks Red.
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
« Reply #277 on: August 04, 2008, 11:02:27 PM »
Here's mine:
1. Very hot shower
2. hot wet towel on head.(because the military taught me to take very short showers)
     Towel gives extra heat and moisture I don't get in the shower.
3. shave with cheap disposable razors
4. aftershave lotion of some kind.

I have been trying to get a HeadBlae, but cant find them where I'm at, but could you guys please tell me about the head slick stuff. I've heard of it, but is it worth the expense?
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #278 on: August 05, 2008, 08:26:42 PM »
I love the Head Slick cream I bought. It really goes on more like a lotion but does lather up especially as you run the shaver over it. It was like $18 for 3 bottles of it off Amazon. I just bought them so I cant say how long the bottles last. The mentholating kicks in after you start shaving and sooths the scalp plus it rinses clean in a jiffy from the scalp and the electric razor. Good stuff.
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline smoothpate

• Proud Member of Local 69
  • Sly Jr.
  • Look Ma, No More Bad Hair Days!!!!!
« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2008, 12:52:05 PM »
Here's my shaving routine:

1. Start at the sink using a hot washcloth to dampen both my head and face
2. Lather up with Edge Gel with Vitamin E
3. Shave my face
4. Shave my head
5. Rinse face and head with hot water
6. Wet shave my head to get rid of any remaing stubble
7. Wash face with high quality soap
8. Jump in shower, wash head with Ivory soap
9. Before getting out of shower turn off hot water and soak head in cold water
10. Pat dry head
Can of Edge Shaving Gel: $ 2.24
4 Pack of Mach III Blades: $ 4.69
Having a Smooth, Cleanly Shaved Head: PRICELESS

Offline gardner179

• Sly
  • uk sly
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2008, 04:39:38 PM »
hot shower, wash head and face with headshed, apply king of shaves kintexium shave oil, shave head using headblade sport and atra blades[ contour blades in the uk]shave face using mach 3, rinse under shower, once finished i have a final rinse  with cold water on head and face to close the pores. i finish with a application of nivia extreme comfort after shave balm.if i have to have a quick shave with no time for a shower, iwash head and face with headshed, then i use headslick shaving cream, this is a lot better than the oils if you are shaving using the sink, i olso apply headlube matte if a fancy a freshen up at any time through the day

Offline Tor

• Ride the World!
  • Sly
  • Bald Rider
« Reply #281 on: August 25, 2008, 08:12:50 AM »
Start with a hot shower, exfoliate (every other day) noggin' using St.Eves scrub. Get out of the shower, and lather up with Slick. Shaving with Headblade, and Fusion around the ears. Shave face using Slick and the Fusion. Fetch an ice cube and run it all over my head. Dry. Finish up with Witch Hazel. Done.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #282 on: August 25, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »
Easy, here's mine though I don't stick to it always. Prefer shaving in the bath when I have the time.

Wash head with copious amounts of hot water with either a ZNP  bar or bar of olive oil soap until my head's covered full of soapy stuff and bubbles and let it sit for abit.

Rinse and apply Bald Guyz Shave Gel  which I prefer though I do rotate this with a couple of others and with using my Gillette Atra, shave with the grain. For me its crown down on all sides., then rinse.

Then liberally apply hot oil, the shave gel on top of that and go against. This is very slick mix which I usually find after the first pass, leaves a nice film of lubricant which I still go over with the Atra or very infrequently with my Merkur HD to finish off.

Wash the head with the soap very quickly this time to remove any excess lubricant and then a cold rinse.

Apply splash of Musgo Real aftershave though not often as I save it for my my face usually so then or straight to my choice of moisturizer which up till now's just been aloe vera gel but I'm going to substitute this for Bald Guyz Moisture gel soon when I get my pocket money.

Shaf  O0

Offline snowpeck

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #283 on: August 25, 2008, 03:45:41 PM »
Here's my shower-shaving routine from someone that has oily skin and a tendency toward folliculitis...

1.  First I wash my scalp with anti-acne soap.  Typically use Wal-Mart's generic brand.
2. Lather with Gillette Sensitive Skin shaving cream (yes even in the shower)
3. Start by shaving the most sensitive spots first... mine are at the back of the neck.  That way the razor is sharper and the shaving cream has had less chance to melt.
4. Shave the rest, going against the grain (love the smooth feel)
5. Rinse in warm water and wash my scalp with the acne soap a second time.
6. Rinse in cold water.
7. Pat dry.
8. Apply witch hazel to the scalp and wipe it off a towel to completely remove impurities.
9. Apply aloe gel.

Sounds like a long process but it really only takes about 10 minutes. End up with an almost bump free (still get one or two, but I used to get huge breakouts) smooth shiny dome!

Greg

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #284 on: September 02, 2008, 11:39:28 AM »
My routine? Well, I recently started exfoliating first (But only after reading about it here.) I'm a sink shaver. I like to see what I'm doing, even though I use my hands to locate rogue hairs/patches. As far as a routine, aside from going with the grain first if I've been lazy and let it grow out more than a few days between shaves (it happens occasionally! :-[) I really have none. I shave my head every which way, looking for that "baby's butt smooth" shave. Shave Secret is a real blessing that way - it'll let you go over and over and over an area, while still keeping it slick.
My current weapon of choice is a Schick Quattro titanium, after many years with a Mach 3, and a brief, abortive flirtation with the Head Blade >:( (see the "what razor do you use?" section for more on that.)
For those of you who are neophytes at slyness - something to look forward to: I've found that over the years (been doing this about 12 years , now) the skin on my head has "toughened up" with repeated shaving. I basically don't get any irritation any more.
However, you've already given this "Old dog" many new ideas. The exfoliating (as mentioned above,) An astringent after the shave, the cold water rinse, not to mention a whole bunch of products for us sly guys that I wasn't even aware of, before joining this site. Thanks, guys!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:42:45 AM by IRONHORSE »

Enter your email address: