Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 366574 times)

Offline slickmick

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2008, 08:11:45 PM »
Definately a shower shaver.  First I hit the face in front of the mirror, then I hop in the shower and scrub my scalp with a shower puff for like 30 seconds.  Blade is nothing too fancy (Schick Quattro refillable), neither is cream (whatever Edge Gel was most recently on sale).  I go AGAINST THE GRAIN (only way to rock the baby butt smoothness), starting above the right ear and ending above the left (when all is said and done).  I rarely nick, but I have cut my ear on several occaisions over the past twelve years, and God knows, they bleed for like 48 hours! (after which you need to wear a Band-Aid and explain the situation to your coworkers)

Offline hawkerhino

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #211 on: March 09, 2008, 08:54:59 PM »
Well lets see, start off most times by a good head scrub in shower. then lather up with brush, shave front to back, relather, shave back to front. then back in shower to wash head one more time with wife's face wash. then cold water as i can stand for minute or so. then some good lotion and off to sack. o as of winter i shave every other night. going to have to start on every morning before long tho.

just my 2 cents worth.
 :D
Always looking SLY while Rhino riding...
06 SE Rhino
Bad A** 00 F-350

Offline Prey521

• Bald IT Guys Are Cool!
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2008, 03:33:56 AM »
Shower shaver here as well.

-Let the hot water run for a few minutes

-While water is running, get my tools together (HB Sport with Personna TriFlexx blades, Nuetrogena Razor Defense Gel, St. Ives Apricot Scrub, Fusion razor)

-Run hair under hot water while I wash my face (Neutrogena Faily Face Wash) and brush my teeth

-Lightly scrub with St. Ives Apricot for about a minute and then wash off

-Lather up the shaving gel and spread it all over my noggin

- Bathe the bod while the gel settles into hair for a few minutes

-Take the HB Sport, rinse it out and go with the grain all around

-Lather up again with gel and take the Fusion against the grain all around

-Wash off all of the lather and leave head under the running hot water while taking the Fusion on side to side strokes on top of head and back to front stroke on side of head.  Go side to side on back of head as well, but only near the top, not at the bottom back of the neck.

-Perform a stubble feel and knock out any rough patches

-Set the shower to arctic cold and let it run over my noggin for about a minute, or prior to complete brain freeze, which ever comes first

-Get out of the shower and pat the noggin dry and treat back of neck and temple area with Bump Patrol

-After waking up from the pass out of Bump Patrol, get dressed while it dries and cools down

-Spread Jergens Natural Glow moisturizer all over noggin

-Spray my HB Sport blade and Fusion blade with Andis Cool Care Spray and put them away

-Grab my daughter, let her kiss the now silky smooth scalp and go on with my day  O0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:40:35 AM by Prey521 »

Offline mw.pruett

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #213 on: March 14, 2008, 02:36:04 AM »
Well, this is what I do.  I don't know why I do this but it works./'

I lather up, and use a Mach 3 Gillette blade.
After shaving it all off I use Clean and Clear face wash on my head because it work wonder on my face when I had bad acne.
While scrubbing my head with my bare hand I'll feel rough spots that I missed and go over them with my razor using the face wash as lather, and keep feeling all around my head.
Afterwards I splash on aftershave.   :XX
Then after the after shave dries I apply moisturizer.

Throught out the rest of the day, If I feel like bumps are about to come up I just throw more after shave on and it doesnt seem to bother me.  But if I don't pay attention I will get some damn razor bumps.

StogieStang

Re: Taking care of acne
« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2008, 02:27:07 AM »
I've been getting some acne on my head when I shave.  I purchased a huge bottle of rubbing alcohol and when I jump in the shower I rub it all over my head and pour it over my head blade razor.  Then I rinse off my scalp and wash with headblade head wash.  After doing this for a week I have ZERO acne.  There must have been bacteria on my scalp or razor causing blemishes when I shaved. 

Offline BaldInKC

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »
I'm a shower shaver.  My current routine is:

1) Use warm water (would rather use hot, but I run out of hot water before I'm finished--should be better during the summer)
2) Wash/exfoliate my dome with Clean&Clear deep action exfoliating scrub
3) Apply Gillette ultra comfort gel to head and face
4) Shave face first (with grain) with Mach 3 razor
5) Shave melon against the grain, starting with the top front to back. (same razor)
6) Use the "feel" method to find spots I missed or didn't get as close.
7) After toweling off I apply Gold Bond shea butter moisturizer to my dome

I will definitely be changing my routine and trying new things, so I'll post again once I've settled down on what works best for me.  I just ordered supplies from Bald Guyz, so I'll be using their products.

Questions:

1) I cannot seem to get a very close shave on the side of my head above and behind my ears.  Is it perhaps simply an issue with finding the right direction to shave it?
2) What would be the optimal number of times to use a razor before it's too dull?  My hair is fairly thin on top but thick on the sides and back.  I've been shaving every other day, but may end up going to every day.  Thanks!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2008, 12:39:44 PM »
baldinkc:  there R certain parts of my dome that i can't seem 2 get close as well.  in those areas...i go against the grain, with the grain, and side2side, and everywhere else until it gets smooooth.  many of us here, also have the same problem on certain parts of their dome.

as far as razor longevity, well that really depends on each individual.  for example, i am an avid fusion (manual) user  and i can only get around 5-6 shaves on it.  i am daily headshaver.  some guys can make their razor last for 2 weeks or more.  it really depends on the person.  your dome will tell ya if U need 2 change razors because after the 6th headshave on my fusion that's it 4 me.  keep us posted on everything and feel free 2 ask questions.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline maduro

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2008, 04:20:15 PM »
Baldntat05 that's one smooth dome!  Best I've seen on the site - no?

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2008, 09:01:32 PM »
I usually try to shave my dome while in the shower. I'll wash my head first with Ivory just to degrease, then a small amount (less than dime size) of Equate Refreshing Apricot Scrub to get the dead skin and crud off. The Equate is Wally's version of the St. Ives, about half the cost and just as good. Then the HeadSlick. I put the shave cream on with the left hand and shave with the right. I don't rinse the left. As I shave I continually keep working the lather on my head even on the spots that are already shaved. That menthol feels great on smooth skin and by continually working the lather I find spots that I need to go over. I've been rinsing with warm water but after reading some of these posts I think I'm gonna try a cold water rinse. After the shower just a pat dry and then I have a Tea Tree Oil Anti-Bump Spray that I got from Walgreen's that I spray on damp skin and then rub in 'til it's dry. The tea tree oil is a natural astringent which will stop blood flow from any small nicks I happen to inflict, although my HeadBlade Sport limits those. It also quickly takes away any irritation. I might do some touch up around the ears with my Sensor while I'm shaving my face. I used to do the dome with the Sensor but with the HeadBlade I can shave with my eyes closed and often do. After my head is dry I use HeadLube Glossy because I want people to notice this noggin!  :popo
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

parksie

« Reply #219 on: April 10, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
My routine is pretty simple I jump in the shower let the hot water run over my head for a few minutes wash up scrub the head with some axe shower scrub it works pretty good get all cleaned up then get out of the shower.  I just started using that MooreUnique hydroglide stuff today spray that on first and then get my shaving gel out the aveeno positively smooth shaving gel lather up my face and head both.  Then I just shave my face first then the dome!  I cant shave everyday because I get to much irritation, so I shave every two or three days. 

Offline bludger44

• So Fresh and So Clean...
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2008, 06:56:22 AM »
Just sharing my routine:

1) Hop in the shower and soak my head in hot water
2) Wash my head with Ceptaphil antibacterial bar soap
3) Use some conditioner to soften up the hairs
4) Soak for a couple more minutes under the shower
5) Hop out and throw on some KOS Antibacterial Gel
6) Head Blade to do the dirty work
7) Hop back in the shower and wash my head again with the bar soap
8) Cold water rinse
9) Aftershave with Gillette aftershave gel and then moisturize with Cetaphil facial lotion

I'm a new head shaver, so I'm still working on getting that perfect shave. I feel like I'm always missing some spots. But so far I love it!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2008, 07:53:49 AM »
buddha, parksie, bludger:  nice routine fellas... hope U guys stick around & be an active member of the best site on the internet.  the sly fraternity is growing. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

parksie

« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2008, 02:40:54 PM »
Thanks Warhawk I for sure am going to stick around this site. It's awsome!!  O0

I already changed my routine since my last post from a couple days ago lol.  Here is what i did last night.

1.  Jumped in the shower got the water pretty warm let it run over my head and the rest... for about 5 minutes.
2.  Grabbed the St Ives Apricot Scrub Blackhead and Blemish Control rubbed that on the dome and face let it set for about a minute or two Then rinsed it off.
3.  Got out of the shower Grabbed the Shave secret that i picked up from Walmart.  9 drops for the head and face.
4.  Tried a new shaving cream Barbasol Ultra shave cream $1.62 at walmart put that on top of the shave secret.
5.  Grabbed the headblade.  Did something i wasnt sure if i was going to regret or not *switched to the atra blade and adapter* I normally use the sensor adapter with the headblade, but that may change.  O0
6. Shaved the face with the sensor excel
7. Then started to shave my dome it took me about 10 minutes
8. Jumped back in the shower Grabbed the axe body scrub purifying (this stuff supposedly has tea tree oil in) washed the head face... and everything else. Jumped out dried off.

Sorry for the long rant lol but last night was one of the best shaves I have ever got.  1 small cut and that was all

Offline StumpyDave

• Super Sly
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2008, 04:05:34 AM »
Maybe I haven't looked hard enough in England, but there seems to be a lot of head care products in the States that aren't available here.
I wash face and head with whatever soap product is available.
I then use a generic shaving gel on face and head.  Nivea Sensitive is good, but I'm on Gillette sensitive gel at the moment as there was no Nivea last time.
I use whatever razor I've currently got - WIlkinson Sword Xtreme3 at the moment but just as likely to be a Gillette something or other.
Use the mirror to do the tricky bits round my chin and neck and then by feel I work my way round me head from bottom upwards .  Lots of feeling to make sure I haven't missed any bits.
Then into the shower and rinse everything off.

I'm definitely guilty of using a blade far beyond it's best.  I guess I'm just tight.
It's a basic routine but has worked for me for years.  I'm going to search the men's toiletries shelves though to see if I can find of the lotions and potions you guys rave about.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2008, 01:13:38 PM »
You know you've reached "Ultimate SLYness" when reading a thread like this makes you want to immediately go shave your head again!  :*))

Be back in a few...

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Enter your email address: