Author Topic: touchy subject?  (Read 10532 times)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: touchy subject?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »
I never really paid it any attention until I was in my late 40s. After I retired from the PD (age 45) I let my hair grow for 3-4 years with no cutting. Saw a picture of myself with this REALLY long hair on the sides/back and a shiny dome on top. I had started watching "The Shield" and was kinda drawn to Michael Chikliss' (spelling?)/Vic Mackey's sly look so I went from hair down to my shoulder blades one day to shiny sly the next. Really not much thought went into it for me, I've been sly or buzzed ever since.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline ldrider51

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »
Not an issue with me. Kept it buzzed real short , or shorter and shorter, until I decided to go full sly.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 01:35:58 AM »
the lady that cut my hair said, "I think you're starting to thin, let's dye it blonde." 

One other comment on "dyeing it blond".  I doubt a real old fashioned trained barber would suggest that.  Brings up another issue... the take-over of barbering by beauticians.  It's sad. I realize many men dye their hair to cover gray, but that's not for me.   Might work for some people, but for me that's no different the rugs, plugs and drugs.

I'm sure an old fashioned trained barber wouldn't suggest that, but that's probably one reason you don't see many of them around these days...they're not adapting.  I'm not saying that because I think they should tell guys to dye it blonde, but because once I hit high school, I could never find a barber that would/could cut my hair in one of the more trendy styles. 

And while I would never recommend dying your hair blonde to cover up thinning, it did get me a lot of chicks in that couple of months. 

I think I have a picture of it somewhere.  If I can find it I'll post it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.