Author Topic: Bartenders??  (Read 9448 times)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Bartenders??
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:58:57 AM »
Hey, Gang...

Any of you been a professional bartender for decent stretch of time?.....or known/worked with someone who has (like, Frosty is a bouncer at a club of some sort)

During the start up time of my new business, I was thinking of filling in the gaps by doing some bartending.

Night work would free up my days to work on the biz....and from what I understand you can do pretty good even on a part-time basis.

Post up mates
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:45:21 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Bartenders??
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 10:03:43 AM »
Not a bad plan.  If you do it, you should bartend in a place that you can network and meet potential clients.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 10:10:01 AM »
The both of you have one hell of an idea there. I don't know many bartenders anymore, my favorite one is about 5'11" blonde, and looks great in a pair of Rockies.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 10:14:52 AM »
Not a bad plan.  If you do it, you should bartend in a place that you can network and meet potential clients.

I would agree that you can make some cash to fill the gaps, but I wouldn't want to try to get new clients. If people are going to trust you with the financial lives, they probably would have a hard time getting past the "Bartender" stigma.

When I first started in Financial Services, money was tight, so I took a job with UPS loading trucks at 3am. My cohorts at either job didn't know, and I kept it that way. When things got better money wise, I quit UPS and no one was the wiser.

In the end, its your decision and how you run your practice.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 10:23:39 AM »
The both of you have one hell of an idea there. I don't know many bartenders anymore, my favorite one is about 5'11" blonde, and looks great in a pair of Rockies.

So, she's a 5'11" blonde that has a nice pair of Rockies?
Is that what you call them in New Mexico?

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 11:15:16 AM »

So, she's a 5'11" blonde that has a nice pair of Rockies?
Is that what you call them in New Mexico?

That's one word for them.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 12:54:16 PM »
Can definitely get some good $ out of it.  Tended for 2 years at local hot spot.  Need to get the weekend shifts with the biggest crowds.   Speed, knowledge of odd drinks, and a good memory for the regulars and their choices will help bring in the dollars.  Get on shifts the nights before the big holidays when everyone is out.  Being a listener on the slow nights helps.  Being Sly and confident should be big plus.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 01:20:14 PM »
took a job with UPS loading trucks at 3am.

That's brutal....been there...done that....

That's one of my choices, but MAN...I just remember how freakin' tough it was.   Lost weight, that was a plus.  Also, Benefits at P-Time hours works too......I dunno, man.

Paul....that's the kind of testimony I was fishin' for.....thanks O0

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 07:57:45 PM »
My wife bartended for many years off and on (some while we were together) she loved the job.  If you have the right personality and the right bar you can make load$ of cash w/o much time.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 08:09:09 PM »

PIGPEN. you can't beat a nice pair of rockies brother. makes a normal rear look awesome. i love rockies :@`

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

BaldRob

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 08:38:07 PM »
I haven't bartendered "professionally" since... well a long freakin' time ago!  The bucks are good at times, but it takes a toll on the body... plus, you need to know drinks and how to make them quickly!  If you're inexperienced, most places won't put you on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday nights (or Happy Hours) until you learn the ropes.  So you'll be stuck working Tuesdays or Sundays until you prove you can be
...the last barman poet / I see America drinking the fabulous cocktails I make / Americans getting stinky on something I stir or shake / The sex on the beach / The schnapps made from peach / The velvet hammer / The Alabama slammer. / I make things with juice and froth / The pink squirrel / The three-toed sloth. / I make drinks so sweet and snazzy / The iced tea / The kamakazi / The orgasm / The death spasm / The Singapore sling / The dingaling. / America you've just been devoted to every flavor I got / But if you want to got loaded / Why don't you just order a shot? / Bar is open.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 08:59:47 PM »
Thanks, Y'all !

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 05:40:27 AM »
damn B-Rob, you seen cocktail a few times or what? O0
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:00:44 AM by pburke »

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 08:04:03 AM »
or what Paulie     :px  :/O  :D

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 08:09:27 AM »
damn B-Rob, you seen cocktail a few times or ehat? O0

That's when Elizabeth Shue was looking her best, IMHO.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.