Author Topic: New Job~Wildland Firefighter!  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
New Job~Wildland Firefighter!
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:57 PM »
I got hired a few weeks ago as an employee of the state of Utah.  For the summer (beginning of may-end of august) I will be a wildland firefighter!  I couldn't be more stoked.  I'm working towards become a structural firefighter right now, but I think that this will be a good first step--not to mention a good way to make some coin during the summer!

Anyone ever done this sort of work before?

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
--T.H. Lawrence

Offline DBM

• Sly Jr.
Re: New Job~Wildland Firefighter!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:06:25 AM »
I've used to have a few friends that would do this in the summer.  It's grueling and dangerous work, definitely a young man's game. 

I saw a fellow in his 50's getting off the boat with a bunch of college aged guys after fighting a fire on the opposite shoreline.  The old guy was clean and smiling while the young guys were filthy and exhausted.  I don't think I'd ever seen guys look so tired, they were loaded up with gear and were literally having trouble lifting their feet.  That memory will stick in my head for a long time.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:04:07 AM »
No buddy. Good luck, stay safe. Well done and good luck with the training  O0
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
I have a good friend from high school who does this. He started as a grunt, but drives a water truck now mainly. He has done fires all over the US, not just in New Mexico.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »
Congratulations Camp.  I have friends from the Forest Service who fly over the country putting out fires.  They love the job.  Good Luck
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:05:01 PM »
Congrats bro O0
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »
As one who has done alot of backpacking in the Uintahs, thanks for your service!  My father in law was a smoke-jumper in his younger years (not a parachuter... but a helicopter dispatched one).  He had to take his jumps about 30  feet off the deck onto "softened up" soil.  He has many stories about this time of his life.  Dangerous work!  Be safe.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:02:51 PM »
Those guys have my admiration and so do you for signing up for that job. You will be tough as nails when the summer is over. Good luck, stay safe.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 05:14:45 PM »
Sounds like a great summer job.  Solid, useful work outdoors.  Never have done it myself, but like Michael I have done some packpacking in my day.  I appreciate the work that you'll be doing.

Offline Camp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 07:08:02 PM »
Alright--update time!

I just finished my first season as a wildland firefighter (my season ends early because of school).

It was the toughest thing I've ever done in my life.  We worked 16 hour days--wind, rain, or shine.  All day long you hike with your 50lbs (minimum) of gear and you work yourself to the bone.  Usually, there is a 3-4 mile hike just to GET to the fire!

Over the season I fought fire in Utah, Colorado, and Idaho.
I was flown in a helicopter 3x.
I saw 6 fires.
I spent many many nights eating MREs and sleeping under the stars.
I saw one friend get his ankle crushed by a falling tree.

It was one of the single best experiences of my life.  It payed well, and it really took the piss outta ya--but every day it makes you stronger!
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find out it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
--T.H. Lawrence

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 08:13:05 PM »
Thank you for your willingness to do that type of work under such dire circumstances.  I live in North Idaho, so we know what the fires are like in this part of the country.
Attitude is everything!

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 09:35:19 PM »
Hey Camp!  You missed a spot with the razor.   ;D

Glad to hear you made it back safe.  I bet you lost about 20 pounds of water and fat and gained twice as much in muscle.  That job is really a workout.  Had a friend that ledt to do that years ago.

Keep it safe.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 09:20:23 AM »
Well done, man!! O0

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 12:53:07 PM »
Excellent job Camp, keep up the good work. You guy's are greatly appreciated.   O0

Enter your email address: