Author Topic: The final step  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
The final step
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
For those of you who took the gradual approach and went shorter in stages, what was the length of your final buzz cut and how long after that did you take the final step and shave your head smooth?

For me it was when I finally went for the no-guard buzz.  It was shorter than I expected and I was only able to hold out for about 20 minutes before taking the blade to my scalp for the first time.  Once I realized how close I was to having a completely bald scalp, there was no way postpone it any longer.  The little voice wouldn't let me.   ;)

Offline shdouble

• Sly Jr.
Re: The final step
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:22:43 PM »
I was buzzing 1/4 inch for a couple mnths. When I went no guard I was already planning to shave right after.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:29:39 AM »
I had been buzzing mine to about 1/4 inch for seven years. For about the last year of that I kept telling the wife I might shave my head. She was all for it from the start.

In June 2007 I wound up with two SLY guys helping me coach my Little LEague team. I questioned them about shaving the head and they answered all my questions thoughtfully and truthfully.
A week later I shaved and have been SLY ever since.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

baldy46

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:37:47 AM »
I had been buzzing my head with a #1 guard for years and then decided to try it with no guard.  That was it for me.  Once I saw that I looked okay without the guard, I went for the razor.  It looked even better that way, in my opinion.  My wife HATED it and I can't really understand why.  There wasn't THAT much difference between the no-guard buzz and completely shaved.  Now, I can't stand even a day's growth.  Gotta keep it smooth. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 07:03:26 AM »
The whole "Buzz Time" was a little over a month as I remember, but when I buzzed to a 1, I just couldn't stop rubbing my head--and realizing under almost any light it was obvious I was far along the road to a bald head.  So, one Friday morning that I didn't have to go to work, I zero buzzed the dome, went to the gym, and when I came home I showered--and everyone knows the rest 8).  Except for 5 or 6 days in August 2008, I have shaved almost everyday and a couple of times twice. O0  Life is Good. 

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:24:34 AM »
My wife was cutting my hair with a "no guard" for about a month before we went to Hawaii 3 years ago. About a week after we got back I shaved my head for the first time against the wishes of my wife. Now my wife loves my bald head and doesn't want me grow any hair at all. I tried growing it for a few days last fall for the first time since shaving 3 years ago because my wife said she wanted to see me again with a little stubble to see if she liked it better. After the 4th day she said she had decided she likes me better shaved ...... :@`

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:53:58 AM »
I gradually got tighter and tighter buzzcuts until I got down to a #1.  I went to the barber for the buzz every two weeks.  It looked pretty good to me throughout that two week period, but if I got a chance to look at the back I realized that the bald spot at the back of my head got more and more emphasized as the two weeks progressed.

I kept the #1 buzz for several months, maybe even a year; but then when I was on a vacation I started shaving the dome.  I got comfortable with shaving and the look before getting back to my "normal world."  I knew as soon as I shaved that I would never go back to the buzz.   8)

Hardly anyone said anything when I returned because I had been wearing the #1 buzz for so long already.  Those who did say something, praised the decision to go bald.

Enter your email address: