Author Topic: Anyone mud-mask their noggin?  (Read 17804 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Anyone mud-mask their noggin?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 09:48:09 PM »
Yeah, I love that movie.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline sq

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 08:36:23 AM »
I don't know why this thread popped up in my unread but sometimes the universe gives you a great laugh - LMAO

I am curious as to what Timmj's experiment was -   when you don't get a final report it makes me think there may have been some Red-Green Show moment

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »
I've been dealing with some minor break-out issues on my slick nog and just read some earlier suggestions about making sure to wash before bed, etc -- which seems very sage advice. My question along these same lines, is whether anyone has ever tried mud-masking their head? Thought it might be a kinda nice thing to do to my bald head from time to time. And if anyone has -- any recommendations on favorite product.

Prior to shaving my head my scalp, I always had dozens of small acne-like sores on my scalp that hurt.  I'd pinch them and they'd ooze or sometimes they'd break on their own, and then I'd get crusty spots in my hair.  When I started shaving it helped somewhat, but I found that my scalp had hundreds of these small inflamed spots.  It was so bad that I probably should have regrown my hair because I probably looked infectious.   A few times people would mention it to me it was that bad.

Eventually I went on Retin-A, but it didn't seem to have permanent results and now I have a pair of topical acne medications that I'm supposed to rub on my head daily, but I use one medication maybe twice a month and the other maybe once a month or so.   

Today my scalp is fine even though I rarely use my medications.  I can't prove it, but I think my tap water was the solution.  When I had the sores I showered with well water, but my scalp cleared up sometime after I moved and began showering under chlorinated city water.  Could exposing my scalp to enough chorinated water actually kill enough bacteria to keep my skin healthy?

BTW:  This experience showed me the arrogance of doctors.  The doctors would insist that shaving my head caused the sores and they refused to accept it when I said I had these sores years before I ever shaved.  YEARS.  I HATE it when doctors refuse to listen to their patients.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline allegrodonfuoco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »
Three things....

1) I have used face mask on my head in the past many times and it always feels amazing (especially when it is all dry and crackly).  I use masks on my face frequently because I have oily skin and I'm prone to clogged pores, and masks really help with this... so it was inevitable that I would try it.  My favorite mask is by Anthony Logistics (I'm most sure the name, but it's red).  It's about $18 bucks and available at most places where upper end skin care is sold (at the average mall, you could check sephora or bath and body works... or online of course if you don't wanna be seen in a store like that... ha).  If you wanna go a little cheaper, Queen Helene makes a Mint Julep Mask that is great (especially for oily skin).  It's around $4 and you can get it at most grocery/drug stores.  Some masks can burn a little bit, so just be aware of that before using them on a freshly shaven head!

2) Someone mentioned using aspirin... I've heard of doing this before, and supposedly the aspirin is also great for reducing redness...  Might be worth a shot for that alone if you have post-shave irritation.

3) Someone also mentioned chlorinated tap water possibly being good for their skin.  I've always felt that in the summer, or times that I swam a lot, my skin looked better.  I've also wondered if chlorine could have a skin clearing effect.  Don't know for sure, but it's occurred to me also

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2009, 11:37:18 PM »
2) Someone mentioned using aspirin... I've heard of doing this before, and supposedly the aspirin is also great for reducing redness...  Might be worth a shot for that alone if you have post-shave irritation.

Do you mean taking an asprin or rubbing your skin with a liquidified asprin?
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline allegrodonfuoco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 05:09:12 PM »
Putting it on your skin.  I don't know the exact recipe though.

Offline rodubls

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2009, 10:22:37 PM »
I use the Queen Helene stuff pretty regularly on my face. To do my whole head would make too much mess or I'd have to take a shower to wash it off. So when I do my face, I would extend this to most of the front half of my head, but I have never done like my full head.

A word of advice though, give it some time between shave time and mask time. I shave in the mornings and would do the mask at night, but one time I shaved pretty late in the afternoon and then did a mask within a few hours and it burned for about 5 minutes before I had enough and washed it off in ice cold water.
Buck:

"I'm on the gravy train with biscuit wheels!"

"I like to hump, I like to eat, and I don't like to drive."

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »
Never did hear back from you TimmJ.  What was the experiment?  How did it turn out?  Inquiring minds wanna know.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »
I haven't tried this, but I have always searched for the mask that was used in the famous American Psycho scene. 

I realize you posted this in May Tyler, but I found the ultimate guide to American Psycho Facial Products.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/170R297X1SU1

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »
Yeah, I love that movie.

That was a great scene, but have any of you ever seen the spoof on that? Cracks me up.

Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 12:35:20 PM »
Just used a MerlotTM Natural Grape Seed purifying peel-off mask all over the face and head.  It was initially really cool and tingly not unlike the feeling of the Headslick Shave cream.  So that is what it feels like to have your head covered in liquid latex!

By the time the thing set, I felt like someone was trying to give me a face lift with duct tape.  But after removing, it did leave my skin tighter and softer than I expected.  I will have to give it a few more tries to see how well it works overall.