Author Topic: SHAVING BRUSH  (Read 3855 times)

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
SHAVING BRUSH
« on: February 08, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »
I have a cheap one from CVS. Where did you get yours?

Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
Re: SHAVING BRUSH
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 06:09:54 PM »
I got mine from Shoppers Drug Mart here in Canada.  It was $14 and has been great  O0.
I owe a thank you to Mike(Koz13) because without his recommendation I would probably not have tried the brush on my scalp.

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 06:12:41 PM »
I want to upgrade to a better one.
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 07:05:34 PM »
I got mine at WalMart for $5.  It works pretty good with Headslick.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 07:09:18 PM »

Probably the same one I got at WalMart with a green handle which just cracked and fell off....guess I'll have to get another one..... :-\

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:06:27 PM »

Probably the same one I got at WalMart with a green handle which just cracked and fell off....guess I'll have to get another one..... :-\

lol.. ;D...........get one that's like $25 and you will be able to keep it for a few years without losing the handle.   O0

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:10:21 PM »
this may be a dumb question but...........

do i need a special shaving cream for a brush? and how exactly do you use them? lol (dumb i know) but im serious? do you just squirt some shaving gel on your head and rub it around with the brush or what? i would rather use a brush to save my hands from getting all slippery and lathery when im trying to shave.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 09:29:36 PM »
not a dumb question ghost, I was going to ask the same thing.  What is the benefit of using a brush?  I dont mind using my hand, most of the time its just my fingers.  Does it lather up more so with a brush?  I have never used one, so fill us in guys.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 10:09:54 PM »
I've used a shaving brush fro 18 years on my face. Prior to that I frequently nicked myself on the neck going against the grain - always in the same place. Since using the brush, I hardly ever nick myself in that or any other spot.  The brush gets between and around the wiskers much better than you can do with your hand or fingers.  It sets up your beard for shaving. I use a canned shave cream and just squirt some into the brush, or into my hand like a shaving mug.  I started with a cheap one but upgraded and have had the same brush for 18 years.  You should also buy a stand, so you can hang it upside down to dry after each use. Plus, it's a pleasant way to get started in the morning.

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:05 AM »
go to youtube and put   (mantic59)  in the search and check out his videos.he goes over lathering and even how the different brushes work. he even gives info on a good brush and where to get it pretty reasonable. it will answer all your question about shaving as he is a dedicated shaver.   

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 03:42:14 AM »
Santa left me the same green handled shaving brush.

To answer GHOST.... You don't need a special shaving cream, lotion, gel, etc. I use HeadSlick or SlyBaldGuyz with my brush.

Advantages to using a brush:

1) As Shaf pointed out in several earlier threads, it is a natural exfoliator

2) You can use less of your shaving product. I put my product on the brush and then kind of lather it up on the top of my head. Then spread it around the head and face and shave with the grain. But DO NOT rinse your brush or add more product for your against the grain pass. The brush will still have plenty of your product in the brush and with just a few drops of water you can re-lather your whole face and head and do your second pass.

3) It just feels really good on the noggin'
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 09:04:30 PM »
I made mine.
I can make one for you too.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 07:14:13 AM »
That's mighty fine work Cooncatbob, mighty fine. 

An aside on brushes, when traveling w/ carry on it eliminates another liquid or gel from your 1 quart plastic bag, just buy some shaving soap and use a cup in the hotel room as your shaving cup.  It lathers rather nicely, does a good job.  Saves room in the 1 quart bag for your shaving oil and after shave balm.  A 1 quart bag seems plenty big until you start putting all your shaving stuff in it  :(because most of them are liquids and gels.

GASlick

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
That brush is  beautiful cooncat. 

I don't have one either.  I just lather it up in my hand.

Offline hipstersaint

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 02:10:24 PM »
I got a nice one from The Body Shop.... it was like 10 bucks.
  and once you do the brush thing you will never go back.....