Author Topic: a professor of mine questioned me for shaving my head today.  (Read 9676 times)

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
Re: a professor of mine quetioned me for shaving my head today.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 01:16:02 AM »

I'll give you a piece of advice that I have found to be valuable. Never feel the need to explain yourself. You are in control of your life, you make your own decisions.. therefore the only person you have to answer to is yourself. If someone asks you why you shave your head... i think "because I like it" is a perfectly acceptable answer. You don't have to go into the exact reasons why you shave your head.

Best advice on this whole forum! :)  I wish someone would have told me that back when I was in school.  Would have saved me a lot of grief.

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 02:56:54 AM »
Unprofessional and innappropriate. I am surprised at a professor being so openly judgemental in these times of diversity. If she had felt the need to say something it should have been in a 1-1. And even then I am not sure if it would be acceptable.  >:(
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 04:09:33 AM »
Definetly inappropriate but I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people are just ignorant.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 07:03:43 AM »
inappropriate and pig-ignorant.  she can't get out very often :/O

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 07:39:05 AM »
Any way to send these responses to her on line?  She might realize her SHORTCOMINGS as a human being!!!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 10:09:02 AM »
I think it was inappropriate, and you may want to speak to her alone on it. After your grade, of course lol.

Unfortunately, some of the smartest people can also be the most ignorant.
I also believe that people of her age group have a skewed view of the shaved head anyway.
Remember, that generation did have the pompadour, and most of the combover guys fall into that category as well. 

Offline ChromeDomeJohn

• Solid like Barack!
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 10:39:47 AM »

Inconceivable.  very in appropriate, to say the least.  As a former professor, I can't imagine commenting on someone's appearance in front of a whole class.  It's one of those things that 'just isn't done.'   You could be a real #$%#&  about it and complain to a Dean.  They will be shaking in their boots imagining your harassment law suit; and for sure, at the  VERY LEAST, she would be called into a meeting with the dean to explain her actions.  I would be very embarrasing and troublesome for her, and she'd think twice about doing somehting like this again.   For that alone, you should do it.   But then again, if you are over it, just let it go; get through the class and hope you don't have to take another with her.

John

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 11:39:54 AM »

Inconceivable.  very in appropriate, to say the least.  As a former professor, I can't imagine commenting on someone's appearance in front of a whole class.  It's one of those things that 'just isn't done.'   You could be a real #$%#&  about it and complain to a Dean.  They will be shaking in their boots imagining your harassment law suit; and for sure, at the  VERY LEAST, she would be called into a meeting with the dean to explain her actions.  I would be very embarrasing and troublesome for her, and she'd think twice about doing somehting like this again.   For that alone, you should do it.   But then again, if you are over it, just let it go; get through the class and hope you don't have to take another with her.

John

i dont really want to make a big deal about it because i have a feeling shell make the rest of the semester awkward for me. plus......my grades on the line.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 12:50:21 PM »

i dont really want to make a big deal about it because i have a feeling shell make the rest of the semester awkward for me. plus......my grades on the line.

Exactly.  It's probably best to just let it go.

adam_r_todd

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 02:47:56 PM »
You're on track for not letting it get to you.  When I was in college, it seemed like some of the professors loved lording their power over the students.  Especially the old ladies.  She just asked you that because she knows she could be rude with no consequences because you know your grade is on the line.  But, what do you care?  It's not like she's some hottie that you wanted to date.  ;D

Offline chris23

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 06:02:25 AM »
The question was inappropriate because you were forced to say that you have a receding hairline. So you are hiding your mpb by shaving. I thinck the real sly attitude is not be bothered that you have mpb! With that attitude no question is inappropriate.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »
Ghost, i told you that the idea of wearing lipstick to class was a bad idea! LOL  Now you made yourself stand out.  LOL

Offline ChromeDomeJohn

• Solid like Barack!
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 10:00:13 AM »

John

I agree that in reallity you should not make any big deal about it.  I was just thinking about what you COULD do; and believe me, with the attitudes of so many college administrators (deans can truly be the most silly people on the face of the earth) , I know that you could have a lot of people really sqirming if you wanted to ; esp. the prof.   But;  as a true sly guy; I know that you will let it go.  But if you wanted to , you could have that prof. spending soooo much of her free time in meetings explaining herself (of course; you'd probably have to attend some of the meetings too ; so; again; it's really not worth the bother.)

On another note; why all the dissing of older female professors?  As a group; I don't think they're any worse (or better) than any other.    if anything, it's YOUNG female profs you have to watch out for.  Academe is still rather a man's world and they really have to proove themselves; and so can be very uptight . . . .

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 10:37:54 AM »
Dude, she was totally out of line.  Imagine her shock and chagrin if you had started to undergo chemo therapy?  People need to really be careful on their statements. 
Maybe you could have resoponded:  "Why, is the shine hurting your eyes?" Or maybe, "Is my slyness stirring old, forgotten passions?"  Lol.  Blow it off, but if it continues I would  take it to mast and talk to a Dean.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 10:38:54 AM »
On another note; why all the dissing of older female professors?  As a group; I don't think they're any worse (or better) than any other.    if anything, it's YOUNG female profs you have to watch out for.  Academe is still rather a man's world and they really have to proove themselves; and so can be very uptight . . . .

I can agree with some of that John.  It seems like some lady instructors feel it necessary to over-do it, and act tougher than your average teacher, thinking students will not take advantage of them.  Whether it's the right tactic or not, I don't know.