Author Topic: a professor of mine questioned me for shaving my head today.  (Read 9706 times)

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
a professor of mine questioned me for shaving my head today.
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:34:13 PM »
unprofessional and innapropriate or just making conversation? you be the judge.

i was in a rather small class today (maybe 13 people or so), and i have this older woman in her 60's as a professor. she was taking class attendance and when she got to me she was like "alex why do you shave your head? you like that look?" i just said "yeah" because i was shocked she would ask me such a question in front of the entire class. it was kind of awkward. i felt like i should have told her the real reason i shave my head, but then again its none of her business and i think it was a rude question to ask to begin with. it seemed like she was asking me in a negative way like she dissaproved of it.

do you guys think that was an innapropriate question? if so would you have gotten offended?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:48:31 PM by wpruitt »

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Re: a professor of mine quetioned me for shaving my head today.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
I would have been offended.  She was definitely out of line.  But she still is the one who gives you your grade.  It's a tough place to be.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:23:20 PM »
In front of the rest of the class and a class that you are PAYING FOR?   Darn right it was inappropriate and unprofessional.  I can not imagine that question being asked by a professor that you don't know.  I am curious as to her tone of voice when she asked that question too.  BTW, what course was it?  
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 06:36:10 PM »
stupid old lady.   I would have been offended. 

Offline 20, bald, and loving it

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
I would have def been offended. I would have responded in the same way.

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 06:43:33 PM »
In front of the rest of the class and a class that you are PAYING FOR?   Darn right it was inappropriate and unprofessional.  I can not imagine that question being asked by a professor that you don't know.  I am curious as to her tone of voice when she asked that question too.  BTW, what course was it?  

it was a "digital imaging" class. and her tone was kinda snooty like she didnt like my head and was kinda mocking it. the weird thing is, this was the 6th class. not the 1st, so why would she just bring it up now? was she holding that rude comment in the whole time and just couldnt stand it anymore so she had to say something? the reason it was awkward was because theres a lot of good lookin girls in that class and thats just not something you randomly say to someone. thats personal. its like saying to me, "why are you so pale? dont you go outside?". it was embarassing.

she might as well just told me i was balding lol.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 06:45:37 PM by Ghost1988 »

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
Inappropriate yes, but I would not be offended.
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 06:53:20 PM »
Too bad the question caught you off guard otherwise you could have responded by asking her why she chose her particular hairstyle and if she really liked that look.   >:D

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »
Too bad the question caught you off guard otherwise you could have responded by asking her why she chose her particular hairstyle and if she really liked that look.   >:D

haha i know right. shes the most BORING old lady ever too! lol. so im over it. it bugged for for like 15 minutes then i brushed it off cuz i realized shes prolly old fashioned and the whole "shaved head" look doesnt look good in her opinion. like i said shes probably about 65. ive had these reactions quite a few times from that age group actually. it has to do with what was "in" when they were growing up. shaving your head has just been a trend recently. they havent caught on yet lol.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »
Yes it is inappropriate and unprofessional.

The best response is to be a great student with outstanding work.

That's the kind of thing that breaks down stereotypes.

Bean

Offline optimistic

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »
My grandmother said something similar to me right after I shaved my head... "Why did you do that!?!?"

I havn't had a professor ask any anything like that, but I think I would probably respond by smiling and saying "I love it!"

I'll give you a piece of advice that I have found to be valuable. Never feel the need to explain yourself. You are in control of your life, you make your own decisions.. therefore the only person you have to answer to is yourself. If someone asks you why you shave your head... i think "because I like it" is a perfectly acceptable answer. You don't have to go into the exact reasons why you shave your head.

I personally think you look pimp with a shaved head. I'm sure a lot of beautiful women feel the same way. =]

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 07:59:41 PM »
Hell Yeah I like it, and I'll let you rub on it for some bonus points! O0

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 08:03:12 PM »
Hell Yeah I like it, and I'll let you rub on it for some bonus points! O0

haha maybe if she had a sense of humor. if i said that to her ide get kicked off the campus lol.

Offline jmcmana

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 10:58:15 PM »
That's Tri-C for ya! I love locals!

You should have headbutted her- a great advantage of slyness is the threat to throw down a vicious headbutt at any time
"Get your shine on"

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 01:11:49 AM »
When I was in college getting my 2nd degree (~26 y/o at the time) one of the profs was lecturing next to me.  He looked down at my head and said "Hmmm... you're going bald!" right in front of the class!! Which naturally caused an uproar of laughter.  >:(  I would have raised hell except I knew the prof was a jerk like this and so this was in line with his personality.  It still hurt though.   :'(  So yah I feel your pain.  :-\