Author Topic: Training supplements  (Read 9426 times)

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
Re: Training supplements
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 09:49:25 AM »
The BSN Muscle Stack includes: Nitrix (180 tabs), NO-Xplode (40 servings), CellMass (40 servings), and Axis-HT (120 tabs).

This is basically what I'm taking now, except I'm out of the Axis HT.  I was already taking that and the Nitrix and just started the NOxplode and Cellmass yesterday.

BSN stuff is high priced but I think its a quality product.  Most of my purchases are on ebay.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 08:02:02 PM »
I am a sucker sometimes when it comes to marketing, so I used xyience and have been very pleased for its results.  the nox is good stuff, taste like crap. :(
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 08:16:56 PM »
I am a sucker sometimes when it comes to marketing, so I used xyience and have been very pleased for its results.  the nox is good stuff, taste like crap. :(

Me too.  I tried some xyience products about a year ago, when I first started into some supps.  Didn't really know what I was doing then (maybe still don't ;)) and I didn't buy anymore.  I really like the xyience energy drinks.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 08:25:16 PM »
Their energy drinks are too diff to find.  I have only seen them at GNC and to avoid spending the next three pay checks before I ever see them I avoid going there.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 08:55:54 PM »
I hear ya!  The dude at GNC usually gives me a couple when I go in there, cuz I've just unloaded my wallet. :'(

I mostly buy supps online now.  Alot cheaper than GNC.

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 11:46:58 PM »
Ahh... something I can talk with a certain degree of authority on! It's funny because I just ran across some pictures of me before I started working out. (Before: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/scooterboogie/Pictures%20of%20Me/skinnyscott_canoe.jpg  (140 lbs.) and after: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/scooterboogie/Pictures%20of%20Me/jan20th2007.jpg,  (170 lbs, 13% body fat) for shits and giggles)

Anyway, I'm not some crazy bodybuilder (as you can see), but I've been experimenting with supplements for a while and have an idea of what I like and what works for me.

Rule #1) Work out consistently! Make it part of your lifestyle. Otherwise all the supplements you buy don't mean a thing.
Rule #2) Protein, protein, protein! If you can only afford one supplement, make it protein powder.

CREATINE
That said, I have used creatine products for a while. I was using them back when they had ephedra, and they were great! Too great, really, because the ephedra made my heart race too much and it freaked me out, so I stopped. I gained about 10 lbs on it, and I think most of it was water weight.

I stopped using creatine for a while and started again, with BSN's CellMass. CellMass is supposed to be the best out there, because they use the Creatine ethyl ester and not just creatine monohydrate (someone mentioned the diff. before), and because it's so low in calories (40 per serving). However, some people argue that creatine doesn't get absorbed as well by your body unless you have a big insulin spike, so I've been using Muscletech's CellTech Hardcore. (Man, they have stupid names for these products) It has 75 grams of dextrose per serving, which I have to be cautious with, since I'm prone to hypoglycemia.

Nevertheless, since I started using creatine again, I can't tell a difference - at all. My roommate swears by it, but he buys into the marketing a lot also, and the pseudo-science in the 4-page advertisements these companies have. He's always buying the latest and "greatest" supplements. Some people really respond to creatine, though. I just don't.

So why do I still have creatine? Well, a guy I know has a girlfriend that manages the local GNC, so... I kinda have the hookup. People return products all the time, or products get damaged in shipping or stocking, and it ends up in my kitchen. Once I get through the supply I have, though, I'm not taking anymore.

PROTEIN
Protein is the best, most essential supplement, by far. Work out consistently, your body will need more protein to repair the muscles that you've been tearing apart than your normal diet can provide. It's the cheapest way to get what you need. About a gram of protein per day per lb of body weight is good for you. I use GNC's Mega Isolate whey protein. It has less calories than their regular protein and less cholesterol.

There are different types of proteins, btw. Casein, whey, egg, soy... soy has estrogenic tendencies for a lot of people after continued use, so I've stayed away from it. I've heard egg is the most easily absorbed by your body, but you are a walking stink bomb if you take it. Soy is the only vegetable protein that has all the essential amino acids. I've never heard much about casein... but whey is cheap, and is really easily absorbed by your body.  I've heard it's absorbed in about 30 minutes. A lot of whey proteins are sold with BCAAs (Branch chain amino acids) added, so that the protein is synthesized in your body efficiently.

Those are the two major supplements out there. If you need to know more about other supplements, post a reply on here. Bodybuilding.com is a good resource as is wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodybuilding_supplements

Currently, I am taking:

- GNC Mega Isolate Whey protein
- Muscletech CellTech
- BSN NO Xplode (this is awesome when you first try it)
- GNC L-Glutamine capsules

For dinner each night (really two separate meals, one around 6:30PM and one around 10PM) I try to eat about a pound of dead animal, one way or another. Lean (93/7) ground beef, lean (93/7) ground turkey, tuna, or turkey breast.
"You can't hate man if you know him."
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Nothing is more unsightly than a bald man with hair."
- Martial

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 08:41:55 PM »
Great post socctty!

So why do I still have creatine? Well, a guy I know has a girlfriend that manages the local GNC, so... I kinda have the hookup. People return products all the time, or products get damaged in shipping or stocking, and it ends up in my kitchen. Once I get through the supply I have, though, I'm not taking anymore. 

Sweet!  At least you could try some other things if you wanted. 

Offline juventus206

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm far to good looking to have hair.
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 07:52:56 AM »
Man, that is one hell of a post!  Nice job O0