Author Topic: Training supplements  (Read 9444 times)

Offline bungalow bill

• Sly Guy in Training
Training supplements
« on: February 09, 2007, 07:47:57 AM »
Hey all! Would like any feedback please if anyone has used Creatine or GABA in their training routines.

Iam being told conflicting stories, & iam a bit dubious about using them but lots of people say they work some say they dont,any thoughts?

Thanks

Bill

ps could someone advise how to arrach the smileys-cheers

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Training supplements
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 12:12:15 PM »
Hey Bill, I don't know about GABA but, my brother used to use Creatine.  What is your goal?  What results do you wish to get out of using these supplements?

To attach a smiley, just click on it and it will add it into your post.  O0
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:42:51 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard of GABA either.  A quick web search reveals that it is an amino acid and supplementation is intended to release HGH. 

I use creatine with my workout regimen.  Right now, I just started CellMass by BSN.  In the past I've used Creatine Infusion by Sci Fit.  In my opinion, the Sci Fit helped with recovery and size to a smaller extent.  Wal Mart sells some cheap stuff which I tried and I don't believe it helped at all.

If you're going to use creatine, get creatine ethyl ester (CEE) as opposed to creatine monohydrate.  Its generally accepted that it works better with less GI side effects.  Some other brand names to look for are Xceed or Green Bulge.

Keep in mind also that some people just don't respond to creatine, while others may have fantastic results.

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 03:22:59 PM »
I would also add that when you are taking supplements of any kind, make sure to stay hydrated, especially with Creatine. You will most likely mix the creatine with water, but increase your uptake outside of that as well. W3!ght

Offline bungalow bill

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 04:01:15 PM »
Thanks for the feed back guys. Ihave been told that GABA is a big fat reducer. In answer to Tyler i train regularly but iam at the stage where i have the "love handles" but have the arm size i want so dont want to lose the size by losing weight to get rid of the weight around my abdomen. :-\

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 04:19:03 PM »
 :) As always, Medic, I am impressed by your knowledge of sports medicine and healing. I think I'll throw my Merck's away, and just consult you. How's the dome? Slainte, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 05:42:51 PM »
Thanks for the feed back guys. Ihave been told that GABA is a big fat reducer. In answer to Tyler i train regularly but iam at the stage where i have the "love handles" but have the arm size i want so dont want to lose the size by losing weight to get rid of the weight around my abdomen. :-\

I hear ya!  If you've seen my fitness plan you'll know what I've been up to.  Going to head to the gym here in a minute.  I've heard that CLA can help burn fat also.  I need to change something up - I've been losing fat but not any weight.  Maybe it will take some time where I will continue to build muscle and then plateau on that front and actually start to lose more fat pounds than muscle pounds that I'm gaining.  I'm thinking of adding more veggies to my diet and take out some of the protien.  Any advice?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

spaceape48

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 06:18:04 PM »
Anyone hear about that weight loss pill that was just approved by the FDA? It's called Alli I think? It's basically a lower strength form of a prescription fat blocker. It's shown to block something like 150 calories from fat in each meal. The fat is not digested so you in turn poo it out. Yum

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 06:27:08 PM »
:) As always, Medic, I am impressed by your knowledge of sports medicine and healing. I think I'll throw my Merck's away, and just consult you. How's the dome? Slainte, Professor Melon

Healing quite nicely thank you!  Peroxide and triple antibiotic work wonders!  I wouldn't throw Merck's away just yet though!!!

spaceape48

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »
Medic, what's your line of work? EMT? I'm in healthcare too, radiology to be specific. Cat scans and x-rays are my deal.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 07:18:43 PM »
My biggest problem with fat loss pills is this:  COMBINED WITH EXCERSIZE AND A HEALTHY DIET THIS WILL SHED POUNDS. am i just confused or would excersize and a healthy diet do it alone. and better for your body as well?

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline bungalow bill

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 01:39:11 AM »
I hear what your saying Paul & agree with you.The problem i have is little fat on my arms ,chest back etc & if i reduce calorie intake i lose the size i have got in those area which i dont want to do.  Have heard about the fat blocker pills as some of the guys where i work out use them but can only use them for a limited period & then have to take a break  because of various side effects, i think they are mainly used for people with serious weight problems.

Know what you mean Tyler, have been told that the more muscle you build the more calories your body burns so posssibly the extra protein is a good way to go? The Gaba apparently speeds up your metabolism. Thanks for the advice on the smileys.

Bill

Offline juventus206

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm far to good looking to have hair.
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 02:09:13 AM »
I had great results using CE2 combined with NO2.  I cant stand using the powdered creatine (used to mix it with grape juice) as it makes me feel like Im drinking sand.  CE2 came in a pill form so I found it a lot more user friendly.  Don't know where you buy your supplements but I found (so far at least) the massnutrition.com has the lowest prices.

On a side note, anyone try BSN products?  I'm about to start my rehab work and I was thinking of trying some of their stuff, this to be exact http://www.prosource.net/muscle-stack-plus/5768-1/15890/
I know it says prosource.net, but I found that buying it individually from massnutrition.com is cheaper.  Good luck.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 07:20:46 AM »
Hey all! Would like any feedback please if anyone has used Creatine or GABA in their training routines.

Iam being told conflicting stories, & iam a bit dubious about using them but lots of people say they work some say they dont,any thoughts?

Thanks

Bill

ps could someone advise how to arrach the smileys-cheers

I've noticed some moderate improvement in recovery time using creatine, but nothing miraculous.

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 09:45:05 AM »
Medic, what's your line of work? EMT? I'm in healthcare too, radiology to be specific. Cat scans and x-rays are my deal.

Yeah, Spaceape.  Paramedic for a small rural ambulance district which I also help manage.