Author Topic: Relatives reactions to shaving it off  (Read 27245 times)

Slickdome

Re: Relatives reactions to shaving it off
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
I never got any negative reactions from the family when I shaved... Mom, Dad, and sisters were all cool with it!

All of my family and friends are used to the bald me now; it's become my baseline.  But that wasn't always the case....

The very first time I shaved bald...I was 18...it was 1983...and NOBODY except Kojak (and the occasional Hare Krishna) was a headshaver.  Well, everybody thought I'd gone off the deep end.  They thought I joined a cult, too...lol.  In reality, I was just experimenting.  Anyways, the worst reaction was from my baby sister...who was 3 years old...she would not look at me...she would not be in the same room with me...she was totally freaked.

Now that she's 20-something, she thinks her big bald bro is a teddy bear.....lol

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 11:43:53 PM »
Just had a guy give me the "wife won't let me" excuse tonight.  I always want to ask what else he's not allowed to do, but I tend to bite my tounge and give that "sucks for you" look.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 11:53:24 PM »
. When he got up there he said "Morning Daddy" and gave me a kiss on my bald head. I responded with "Morning Bubba". He laid there for a while with one hand on my head just watching cartoons and not saying a word.

By far, the best experience I have had with anyone since shaving my head.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Everytime I get my son out of the bathtub he rubs my head and laughs. At first he asked me why I shave all my hair off, then one time I hadn't shaved in two days and he rubbed my head and asked "Daddy, why do you have hair?!"

One time he wanted me to come lay with him because he was scared, so of course I did. He was laying there watching a movie and feel asleep rubbing my head. Moments like that are priceless.

-Cam

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 07:21:16 PM »
my mother saw me with my new cut for the first time today... let me just say, she tore me a new SPHINKTER!  At first reaction, I thought that she was going to cry... :'(  you never want to be the one to make your mother cry... then as it went on it slowly became a little lighter, as she instead of asking me why I did it proceeded to call me "STUPID" for doing it, and that I had to be one of the dullest bulbs in the bunch...  Well, I know I am not the sharpest tool in the drawer, but damn it, I am as smooth as jelly from the Jar baby. 

I think she will get used to it... I atleast hope she gets used to it!   :-\
Peace

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 07:42:27 PM »
my mother saw me with my new cut for the first time today... let me just say, she tore me a new SPHINKTER!  At first reaction, I thought that she was going to cry... :'(  you never want to be the one to make your mother cry... then as it went on it slowly became a little lighter, as she instead of asking me why I did it proceeded to call me "STUPID" for doing it, and that I had to be one of the dullest bulbs in the bunch...  Well, I know I am not the sharpest tool in the drawer, but damn it, I am as smooth as jelly from the Jar baby. 

Typical maternal reaction.  Mine was the same way and for a long time never missed an opportunity to tell me how horrible I looked.  She finally stopped when she realized that she wasn't getting anywhere.   Hang in there; this too shall pass.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• Super Sly
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 05:11:08 PM »

Typical maternal reaction.  Mine was the same way and for a long time never missed an opportunity to tell me how horrible I looked.  She finally stopped when she realized that she wasn't getting anywhere.   Hang in there; this too shall pass.

Thanks for the advice.  This is far from the last time that I am going to drive my mother to tears.  I will be telling her I am Enlisting soon in the Coast Guard, that will turn on the Water works.  I expect that it will loose its effect after some time, maybe a YEAR OR TWO (my mother likes to hold a Grudge). 
Well, at a point in life all men have to let go of the apron and walk on their own. I don't care what anyone says though, No man can watch his mother Cry without being torn up.    Hopefully she will just realize "atleast he did not go to the other end of the spectrum and pull a Denis Rodman"   >:D
Peace

BaldRob

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »
I will be telling her I am Enlisting soon in the Coast Guard, that will turn on the Water works.

Right on Mr. Clean!!  That's awesome... O0

Just remember, in the Coast Guard, if you can't see land, you get hazardous duty pay... and the coffee is always weak because Coasties are scared of anything they can see the bottom of!  >:D

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 05:51:48 PM »
My mom was pissed when I told her I joined the Army.  Yeah, typical small hispanic women beating up her son.  oh well she got over it.  I just keep telling her I about to get out. :-\  Way to go Mr. Clean!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 05:53:36 PM by ar3inc »
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 06:26:21 PM »
Since I initially did it for charity there wasn't much said by anyone in the family at first.   But as I continued to keep it slick everyday first I got the "I liked you better with hair" bit, that changed to stares when I walked in still slick and now that they know this is me and I'm happy with it they go with it. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 07:38:57 PM »
MR. CLEAN
Congrats on joining the Coast Guard.  I have the utmost respect for our military personnel. 
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »
MR. CLEAN
Congrats on joining the Coast Guard.  I have the utmost respect for our military personnel. 

Cleanmeister.....that's awesome...if I were 20 years younger I'd do the same....and my mom would cry too.

I got my first ink when I was 24....when my mom saw it, she scratched at it and said, OH LORD, ROBBIE....WHAT HAVE YOU DONE.

She ain't seen me bald...I've sent a photoshop bald rendering via email....

I'm 44 years old...and she'll still freak  :*)) ;D

OK...now yer supposed to say, "Dude...you don't look 44!"

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 12:34:14 PM »
Dude! You don't look 44!

(Now where's my $20?)
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

BaldRob

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 12:42:40 PM »
I got my first ink when I was 24....when my mom saw it, she scratched at it and said, OH LORD, ROBBIE....WHAT HAVE YOU DONE.

I was first inked at 22... and my dad (the supportive man that he is) said "You know how much that hurts to get taken off"!

Offline MR. CLEAN

• Super Sly
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 04:20:33 PM »
Robmeister, all that I have to say is that You look more a wise 40 than 44...

I got Ink when I was 21... Have yet to really "tell" my parents about it, even though I have worn shorts when visiting my mother, and it is square across my Lower Left Leg.   

I think she is going to be More pissed that I Tattooed the Schwinn Emblem on my Lower Left leg than the Fact that I will be serving my country.  What man would not be a fan of serving off the coast of some of the most beautiful places in the world, saving the world's exotic Beauties from sinking Party Boats, sharks, and not to mention Lonely Nights not spent with Smooth Players like ourselves... Here's to the United States Of America, the Reason we have the Freedom to be Sly, and to those who fight for our country every day, the Sliest Devils the world will ever see!  Here's to serving on the Oceans and Seas, for its always the Smooth Brothers who know don't fight the current, just flow with the motion of the ocean!  Hang Em High! !*!rat3

Yo, What ink you got working Robmeister/wpruitt?

& Bald Rob, just remember, We save the Fishermen and we stop the Drug Runners, we Protect our shores and then go get all the ladies numbers... Here's to Shallow Water Experience, you know this we all love, especially when a Beautiful Lady hops in the Tub.  Last I checked, A LOT of ladies out there have just LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN', and its up to all the chill Coasties to bring it back Sqweellin'.  >:D Enjoy Your Sushi... I know I Do  O0
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:26:58 PM by MR. CLEAN »
Peace

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 08:57:35 PM »
Robmeister, all that I have to say is that You look more a wise 40 than 44...

I got Ink when I was 21... Have yet to really "tell" my parents about it, even though I have worn shorts when visiting my mother, and it is square across my Lower Left Leg.   

I think she is going to be More pissed that I Tattooed the Schwinn Emblem on my Lower Left leg than the Fact that I will be serving my country.  What man would not be a fan of serving off the coast of some of the most beautiful places in the world, saving the world's exotic Beauties from sinking Party Boats, sharks, and not to mention Lonely Nights not spent with Smooth Players like ourselves... Here's to the United States Of America, the Reason we have the Freedom to be Sly, and to those who fight for our country every day, the Sliest Devils the world will ever see!  Here's to serving on the Oceans and Seas, for its always the Smooth Brothers who know don't fight the current, just flow with the motion of the ocean!  Hang Em High! !*!rat3

Yo, What ink you got working Robmeister/wpruitt?

& Bald Rob, just remember, We save the Fishermen and we stop the Drug Runners, we Protect our shores and then go get all the ladies numbers... Here's to Shallow Water Experience, you know this we all love, especially when a Beautiful Lady hops in the Tub.  Last I checked, A LOT of ladies out there have just LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN', and its up to all the chill Coasties to bring it back Sqweellin'.  >:D Enjoy Your Sushi... I know I Do  O0
No ink here, bro
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: