Author Topic: GYMS... sign a contract or month to month?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
GYMS... sign a contract or month to month?
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:08:01 PM »
hello fellow chrome domes:    i plan on getting in a fitness routine & hope 2 commit 2 a local gym.  however... i've noticed that the gyms require a contract (for atleast 2 years).  i'm hoping 2 find a local gym that doesn't require a contract.

so... how 'bout U?  R U a member of a gym?  or a future gym member?  if so... do U have a contract (1 to 2 years)?  or  month to month?  what's your story?

WARHAWK O0

Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: GYMS... sign a contract or month to month?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »
Mine was a three-year contract, initially.  When the term was up, I got a sweetheart deal to pay $525 up front, which would cover me for the next three years.  A few weeks later, I just missed a promotion on a personal training package, because I'd already paid for some more sessions.  To compensate, the manager of the gym extended my membership for an extra year.  So it averages out to about $7 a month now, and I'm paid up until sometime in 2011.

For what it's worth, making a financial commitment by signing a contract can give you the incentive to actually use the gym, so you get your money's worth.  It's too easy to cancel the whole thing if  you just go month-to-month.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:35:30 AM »

For what it's worth, making a financial commitment by signing a contract can give you the incentive to actually use the gym, so you get your money's worth.  It's too easy to cancel the whole thing if  you just go month-to-month.

This is a really valid point because the fact is about a month or two into the program you're going to find any excuse to avoid going to the gym, I mean any excuse.  The investment and commitment will help you over come that until the really solid results start showing and honestly that is at 6 months--since results are often seen as visibly toned arms and legs and the beginning of the 6-pack.  Remember also, it's not only training regularly, but also diet that will affect the visible effects of the work you're going to do.  It's well worth it.  You might get a baseline blood exam before and then after 6 months of solid training and good diet--the numbers will show progress too. 
Do it, you won't regret acquiring this good habit.

marty22

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:52:36 AM »
Im finding that monthly is better. My gym is always coming up with new deals. Worse than dealing with a car dealership.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:09:04 AM by marty22 »

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:05:36 AM »
I stopped by LA FItness a while back to see if they were contract or month to month. When I was there, I gave them some info and they tried selling me a 1 year contract with a $ initiation. I wanted month to month so I left. I was more on a fact finding mission and wasn't really ready to commit either way.

Next day I got a call. Initiation was half what it was and it was month to month but 90 days up front. I said no.

A week later I got another call with an even better deal.

I never joined but i have to imagine that any gym that wants your money is going to take your money. If you want to do a year to save some $ I'm sure you can. Want to do month to month? It's been my experience you can haggle these people like used car dealerships.
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline Wil87

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Low Lie The Fields of Athenry
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:07:41 AM »
I have personally found that the best one is pretending your someone else, which is what I did for about 1.5 years, didnt really want me back when they found out though ha ha  :*))

SlyHigh

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
My gym is a very small local operation.  It's mainly a martial arts school, but it has a gym in it too.  I think they did a 1 year contract when I signed up, but I don't think that really sticks.  Everyone is friends with the owner and she's really cool.  It's $30 a month and there were no signup fees.

A contract is good motivation, though, if you need it.

Offline rward086

• Sly
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »
Watch out for yearly contracts. Most gyms require you to still pay EVEN if you move out of the area. You have to at least be 50 or more miles away (average) to not be responsible for the yearly charge. I've know many people who've had collections come after them with a $1,000+ membership bill after they'd move away.
"God only blessed a handful of people with perfect heads - The rest he covered with hair."

W3!ght

Offline dieseldan04

• Dieseldan04
  • Sly
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:00:04 AM »
My gym is a key gym in a small town and is $30 a month.  They only required a $20 key deposit when I joined 3 years ago.  They have raised the dues to $35 for newer members and now require a 3 month minimum payment to start because of the number of transient workers we have had come through here and run off with their keys.  My gym has been good with me if I am gone, they won't charge me the whole amount.  I go to Wisconsin for 3 weeks every summer and they only charge me $5 for that month.  They have also been giving me a huge break on supplements because I have brought them alot of new business.
Dieseldan04

Shine On Fellow Chrome Domers!