Author Topic: do you EVER do this?  (Read 21835 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: do you EVER do this?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 08:41:11 AM »
Ok now look at this guy's neck http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1068/576984458_22c71230a8.jpg

Notice how far down his neck his "shadow" is.  Man, imagine if he were to let hair grow on his neck for 2 days without shaving..........his neck would look horrible.   I don't believe in "shave where you see hair".  There's got to be point below which you say "no" to shaving hairs on your neck and do something else....because otherwise you will get a shadow that just doesn't look good.

You just don't seem to get it.  If there's hair high on the cheeks or lower on the neck, it has to be shaved.  Otherwise it will look like a  hot mess.  You might think the shadow looks bad, but do you think hairy cheeks and a hairy beard are going to look acceptable?  Especially if the guy isn't wearing a beard?   ???

I don't see a thing wrong with the photo you posted.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »
Ok now look at this guy's neck http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1068/576984458_22c71230a8.jpg

Notice how far down his neck his "shadow" is.  Man, imagine if he were to let hair grow on his neck for 2 days without shaving..........his neck would look horrible.   I don't believe in "shave where you see hair".  There's got to be point below which you say "no" to shaving hairs on your neck and do something else....because otherwise you will get a shadow that just doesn't look good.

You just don't seem to get it.  If there's hair high on the cheeks or lower on the neck, it has to be shaved.  Otherwise it will look like a  hot mess.  You might think the shadow looks bad, but do you think hairy cheeks and a hairy beard are going to look acceptable?  Especially if the guy isn't wearing a beard?   ???

I don't see a thing wrong with the photo you posted.

Well Razor I don't think I have a solution.  It's one of those things where you think something is wrong but you have no alternative in mind.   Hairy cheeks and hairy beard will not look acceptable if he isn't wearing a beard, that's for sure.  But then as I said imagine if he were to let hairs grow on his neck for 5 days without shaving, it would look so bad because the hairs are going so low on his neck.   Wouldn't he want the option of allowing hairs to grow on his neck for a few days sometime in his life?   :(

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »

Wouldn't he want the option of allowing hairs to grow on his neck for a few days sometime in his life?   :(

Why?  If he's just not going to shave anything for 5 days, it isn't a problem.  I doubt most people would even take notice of how low the hair on his neck is.

I just saw a little bit of the film Hostage on TV today.  Bruce Willis had a beard in the beginning of the film, that grew really high on his cheeks and it looked really bad. 

Before I started shaving my head, I used to let my beard go for a few days, especially on long weekends.  But I'd always take a few seconds to shave the cheeks, because otherwise I'd feel too self-conscious about it.

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
This thread is funny.

Math - hair growth in random places is something you'll need to get used to.  Just like the MPB guys have and are adapting to losing hair.  I have to shave my neck pretty low - because there is hair there.  I also don't notice any sort of shadow after it's shaved.  Body hair = MAN.

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 01:42:45 PM »
This thread is funny.
...Body hair = MAN.

Yes, this is funny.  Body hair can also be indicative of lycanthropy!

Aaaawooooooooooooo! :D
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »
Michael, could you give a little help with "lycanthropy" ?  I'm too lazy to look it up. 

SBG Math is going to be a mess when he turns 40 and he has all sorts of new hair sprouting up in hitherto unpopulated locationsj!   :D
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »
Alright enough.  You guys think this is funny?   :x!
Just kidding guys.   MLNHD i hope you are wrong.   ;D
I don't know if you guys ever watch for example hockey players when they are being questionned by the press.
You know they sometimes don't have time to shave for a week or so and you can see hairs going down their necks so much. 
To me, I like having facial hair but only when I can have a real nice looking hairline.  If you have for example hair way too low on your neck then you kind of have to create that precious line yourself by having to shave those hairs that are on the lower part of your neck.   That's so inconvenient.
So I usually try not to go too low but here is the problem I end up having.  There is some hairs left on my neck and as MLNHD put it it makes it look "half shaved".   That's plain ugly.  Who knows maybe I will go for electrolysis to eliminate those hairs permanently.  I really don't like the way shaved hairs come back when they grow.  They create a mess on your skin

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »
Sometimes you just cant help where hair grows.  If you have to shave it,  you have to shave it.  You have no choice, well you do in a way.  You can either just let it grow and look real scruffy or shave it.  You pick.

Offline Notawolf

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 07:24:59 PM »
Finally ,ive been searching for a topic about this for awhile. Im currently 20 and i started to notice peach fuzz growing there but much thicker than normal im starting to get bothered cause i wasnt sure what to do.

And as mentioned i dont wanna even use an electric shaver that high cause i dont wanna have a messed up beard line. But im starting to notice that a very few rare darker hairs are appearing where the fuzz meets the beard line. I really dont wanna get a bear line underneath my eye as to me that'll look very bad. So is this really safe to shave that high ?
I've never heard or seen this before? other than the "wolf man" that was shown in a pic =P

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 08:25:42 PM »
If you start shaving that high then my guess is that you would have to shave everyday.
Otherwise you will look weird in public.  While it is true that shaving doesn't create darker hairs
it does affect one's image. 
If you are someone like me, who likes to grow facial hair and only shaves once every 6 days then it probably won't work.  Once you start shaving the area above the natural beard line you would have to shave it everyday or at least 6 days a week to keep those hairs away.

The other option you have is to go for electrolysis.   If you talk to a practitioner who has lots of experience they will get the job done.  By the way, I am doing this at the moment...........so feel free to message me if you need me to explain the benefits I have obtained so far.   Just like you,  the hairs are not dark yet, but I refuse to shave that high. 

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2009, 05:27:55 PM »
I shave that high area too, if I didn't it would look like my beard is trying to take over my face

Offline balddad77

• Sly Jr.
  • Fair winds and following seas!
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
I agree.  I shave that high, for the same reasons as everyone else.  You shave where the hair is, so there isn't anymore hair.  The only thing I leave is my goatee.  Well, and obvious body hair, I like to prepare for the cold winters...lol
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090803/samp819057a71e44ad25.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
I get hairs growing right up to the orbital bone and therefore shave that high.  Granted, they are few, but I can quickly remove them without any damage.  Coincidentally (or not) I tend to be most prone to blackheads in the same area.

And i also get them on my neck all the way down to my collar.  Oddly, not a single hair on the chest or back.  But the ones on the neck grow like wild if not tamed regularly and just look wrong.

Enter your email address: