Author Topic: Come on now!  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
Come on now!
« on: June 13, 2009, 12:32:15 AM »
Earlier tonight I was at a BBQ when my friend noticed a mosquito feasting on my head. I smashed the little turd but he still managed to get me pretty good. About an hour later the spot where he bit me swelled up to a large bump. It's about the size of a quarter. I'm sure this is a somewhat normal reaction to a mosquito bite, I was just wondering if anyone would think it's a bad idea to shave over the spot where I was bitten or to wait for it to go down.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Come on now!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:34:13 AM »
I have accidently shaved over a mosquito bite not knowing it was there.  They can bleed like a bugger, so it might be better to shave around it and use an electric on that spot.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 06:22:55 AM »
I'd probably just give the head a day or two off. That ought to do it. But I too know how badly one can bleed from shaving a bug bite!! It's another negative  side of shaving!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 06:46:30 AM »
I'd probably let it die down a bit before shaving

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
One thing you can try, is putting your witch hazel on it...  as it's an astringent it should help the spot go down so you can pass a blade over it...

parksie

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »
I would definately wait a day or 2 to shave.  If your using the headblade i would recommend going over it extremely lightly.. i sliced a bug bite one time, it blead for hours.  It was then I invested in a stypic pencil.

Offline timorousme

• Sly Jr.
    • I Make Music With Game Boys and Segas
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »
I forget if it's bug bites or bee stings that rubbing onion on it helps.

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 02:02:37 PM »
Thanks a lot guys. I washed it with soap, water and iced it to reduce swelling last night. I think I'm just gonna rest the head for another day, and try the witch hazel maneuver. It's going to be tough going a day with a head full of stubble. Anyway thanks again!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 04:25:13 PM »
If you have benedryl tablets, take one or two before you go to bed--careful this doesn't do you any good if you've had a few pops during the evening.  The benedryl will counteract the histiminic reaction to the bite, sort of like it calms down hives and such.  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:29:26 AM by saintc »

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »
Get yourself a bug bite pen, has something in it that will reduce the swelling if you touch your bite with it.

Offline DogStar Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
    • DogStar Training Systems
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
Get yourself a bug bite pen, has something in it that will reduce the swelling if you touch your bite with it.

Ammonia.

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »
Seems like the swelling went down a bit, I shaved around it so my whole head is smooth minus the patch around the bite. Thanks for the tips guys.

Enter your email address: