Author Topic: Scalp shock  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Chuck-Chuck

• Sly Guy in Training
Scalp shock
« on: June 12, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »
Morning all,

Well, it's been a little over a week since I introduced my entire scalp to the world. How long does it usually take for that skin to toughen up and take in some color?

Granted, I live in the Pacific NW so sunshine is harder to come by (although we've been getting a fair amount lately).

I've looked at all the advice I could find on here about treating the red bumps and blotches but so far I've not found a solution. I've tried switching out razors on the Mach 3 after every 2 shaves and for aftercare I've tried Witch Hazel, Hydrocortizone cream, ice cubes, cold water, iso alcohol, and aloe vera but can't seem to shake the redness (all on backside of scalp).

Or do I just need to give it more time to acclimate maybe?

Thanks all and have a super Friday!

Chuck

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Scalp shock
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:43:28 AM »
Clean is important, so an astringent like witch hazel helps or hydrogen peroxide, and the aloe and hydrocortizone gel or creme help, as will 5 or 10% benzoyl peroxide gel.  Washing w/ a gentle acne, antibacterial at least twice a day will also help.  Another thing, how often do you change your pillow cover--now that there's no hair to absorb normal oil from the follicles it may be building up on the pillow more rapidly.  Clean generally works, if consistently applied.

Offline Chuck-Chuck

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:48:49 AM »
Hmmm...I'll give the acne wash a shot. You know, I did read about the pillow cover as a potential cause for breakouts, and I changed it out a few days ago. I was planning on maybe switching it out every week thereafter.

I'm seeing a dermatologist on Monday for some other stuff, so might see if she'll take a look at the blotch...it's faint but noticeable and has been there in the same pattern since day 1 so it could have been something that's been there all along...who knows.

Thanks saint

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »
I've been having a major bump problem lately for some reason.  I went to the dermatologist a week ago and got a prescription for some foam called Evoclin, and I've also been washing my scalp with Neutrogena dandruff shampoo.  After a week, the bumps are all gone. 

parksie

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
Have you tried shaving in the shower?

Offline Chuck-Chuck

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 02:02:18 AM »
Sorry to hear that Razor but at least you got it cleared up. I'm glad I've got this dermatologist appt on Monday...cant wait.

As for the ? from parksie...I've been shaving in shower from day 2 on....

Today I went and got some benzoyl peroxide 10% so maybe that'll help things out as well as washing my dome more often.

I gotta say I was feeling a little disheartened until tonight. Went to get some brews from the grocery store and....(gasp) I got carded!!! That hasn't happened to me in years!!! I was lovin it!!! LOL

I'm gonna find a way to make this work...no question.

Chuck

Offline Irishdeerhunter

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 03:18:00 AM »
With a sensitive scalp the philosophy: 'less is more' works. Hot water wash, good shaving foam (look at the ingredients), Mach 3 (the best), cold water rinse and moisturise with aloe/bald guyz or aveeno (great for a dry scalp).

Basically just use just water for washing the dome apart from a good cleanser or soap like cuticuria every second day.

Good luck!

parksie

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »
Have you picked up a shaving brush and a bottle of headslick yet?  I would recommend those two things  O0

Offline Chuck-Chuck

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 01:09:38 AM »
The redness and bumps have calmed down significantly so that gives me great hope. Although, I just learned that the main blotch I've been seeing on the back of my head is a birthmark according to my mother.  As they say, it all comes out in the laundry someday. LOL

At least now I know it's not anything I've been doing wrong.