15 (28.8%)
Italian
8 (15.4%)
Vietnamese
1 (1.9%)
Scandinavian
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: What's your favorite ethnic food?  (Read 34971 times)

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
Re: What's your favorite ethnic food?
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 11:09:14 AM »
I had to go with Mexican but Chinese and Italian are a very close second

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 11:34:11 AM »
Just had a thought on this one. Does haggis count as an ethnic food?
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
When served, raw beef was sliced almost translucent thin and put on top of noodles, herbs, etc... Then she'd pour this boiling hot anise like broth over top which cooked the meat as it sat there. Add red pepper paste, fish sauce (she called it "nook num"), lemon... It's been years but it's still one of the top 3 food experiences of my life. I wish I could find that in a restaurant somewhere.

Sounds like Pho.  Have you ever had been to a pho restaurant, Cheese?

My vote has gots to be mexican.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 12:00:51 PM »
pho? no.  ???

Is that what's it's called? "Pho"?

OH MY GOD time2shine!!! I just google'd it. I think that's it!!!

Her mother would pronounce it "Fahhahhahhh". I never seemed to say it right because you have to go up and down with the "ah" sound. Oh man...  I'm now on a quest to find the best Pho in Philadelphia. If it's half as good as the way her Mother made it I'm going to be one happy glutton.

Dude...  I owe you.

---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2009, 12:06:32 PM »
Lol!  OK, i just read through this discussion again, Cheese's dish with the thinly sliced beef and noodles and anise broth  has made me sweat out in a lather Dudes, it isn't lunch yet...  gotta make it one hour.  Maybe I can rifle through my students lunches (like on Billy Madison) LOL.

Hah!

I used to be a chef and have tasted some of the best food in the world and a soup called "Pho" is in my top 3 food experiences. SOUP!??? Crazy isn't it?
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »
pho? no.  ???

Her mother would pronounce it "Fahhahhahhh". I never seemed to say it right because you have to go up and down with the "ah" sound. Oh man...  I'm now on a quest to find the best Pho in Philadelphia. If it's half as good as the way her Mother made it I'm going to be one happy glutton.

Dude...  I owe you.

Nice!
I had pho for the first time, about 2 weeks ago.  YUM

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
Hey Tyler,
There's a great vietnamese restuarant on El Camino Real. I used to go there once a week for their Pho when I worked in San Mateo. I forgot the name of it, but it's about a block North of the BMW dealership on the west side of the street. A co-worker and I loved it. It was funny, we never called the restaurant by it's name. He would just ask, "Hey Schro, wanna go get some bad service?"  ;D

The wait staff was probably the worst I've ever experienced. Oh, their Iced Coffee was awesome also.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:48:18 PM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Michael

• I Sly therefore I am!
  • Super Sly
  • Last year's Christmas Parade
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »
We have some Vietnamese restraunts here in Stockton.... I'll have to give Fahahahahahhaaa a try.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090223/sampd7548abedf90277d.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2009, 08:01:41 PM »
pho? no.  ???

Dude...  I owe you.

Nice!
I had pho for the first time, about 2 weeks ago.  YUM

"Pho" is Vietnamese for noodles.  Or so I have heard. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »
Gotta pick Italiano!

But I loves it all, .............but liver.

Do you go for Italian in the Noth End?  (that's North to everyone else)

I used to work in Eastie and would get good Italian food quite often.  In fact, our patients would often bring homemade Italian pastries to us at Christmas time.  (Course, pastries from Mike's Pastries is good too)
Attitude is everything!

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2009, 11:55:11 PM »

Nope!  Then again, I went to get a Guinness out of our spare fridge the other night, and it had frozen out there.  It came out of the bottle as slush!  In that case, it counts as food, right?
Attitude is everything!

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2009, 07:28:21 AM »

Nope!  Then again, I went to get a Guinness out of our spare fridge the other night, and it had frozen out there.  It came out of the bottle as slush!  In that case, it counts as food, right?

Explain why not bubbadave? If Indian food is ethnic, and Chinese is ethnic, why not Scottish food?
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline Wil87

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Low Lie The Fields of Athenry
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2009, 07:48:08 AM »

Explain why not bubbadave? If Indian food is ethnic, and Chinese is ethnic, why not Scottish food?

Because haggis is not really food, let alone ethnic food ha ha !!  :*))

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2009, 08:22:21 AM »

Rubbish Wil. U aint lived till u have had a big plate of haggis tatties and neeps!

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2009, 08:38:37 AM »

Rubbish Wil. U aint lived till u have had a big plate of haggis tatties and neeps!