Author Topic: does anyone know anything about the drug called "Prednisone"?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
does anyone know anything about the drug called "Prednisone"?
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:15:21 PM »
its a type of steroid. im just wondering because i have to take it for a stomach condition i have but i noticed in the past 2 weeks since taking it, that my receding hairline has disconnected from the top of my head and turned into an "island". i know this isnt normal hairloss because this has all happened in a matter of 2 weeks, i just noticed its been getting worse everyday, and was wondering if its only temporary and will grow back?

i know i should be asking the doctor about this instead of posting it on this board but im just curious if anyones had any similiar hairloss from prescription drugs?

its stressing me out cuz im already trying to deal with the normal MPB, i dont need something helping the process along even further.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
Re: does anyone know anything about the drug called "Prednisone"?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:23:53 PM »
Yes Ghost, that drug does cause hair loss in certain people and some more than others. I don't know how permanent the hair loss might be. I think you shoud ask your Doc about it and see what he says. Also you could google Prednisone and hair loss and maybe get more information.....

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »
hey g:  i give "prednisone" a lot every day (at the hospital) 2 my patients.  that is a common side effect.  it will only b temporary once U stop taking it.  however... the side effects outweigh the benefits.  the other side effects R weight gain, increased appetite.  however... it will suppress your ulcerative colitis.  hope this helps.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »
ok thanks a lot. thats what i was wondering. because ive been taking it for 2 weeks and i noticed that ive lost more hair than i should in 2 weeks, even with shaving it im still losing it. so when i stop taking it is the hair that i lost from the meds gonna grow back?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »
ok thanks a lot. thats what i was wondering. because ive been taking it for 2 weeks and i noticed that ive lost more hair than i should in 2 weeks, even with shaving it im still losing it. so when i stop taking it is the hair that i lost from the meds gonna grow back?
hey g:  yes... it will grow back but why would ya want it 2 grow back.  that would mean more "shadow" 2 worry about when U shave your noggin'.   O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:41:06 PM »
I was on prednisone for about a week last October when I had shingles.  It does cause weight gain.  My mom has been on fairly large doses of it on several occasions for bronchial infections.  It caused her to gain weight but no hair issues.  One of my dogs was on it for a while for allergies -- no weight gain or  hair loss for him, luckily.

In your case, Ghost, think of it as a benefit.  Less of that hated shadow for  you to contend with.   ;)

GASlick

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:59:25 PM »
Me and steroids don't get along to well.  My hair didn't fall out, but it made me have extremely painful muscle spasms.  It was almost three days before I realized what was causing it.

I told my doctor I would rather be sick than take that.  It also caused me to become very depressed.  Good luck with it Ghost. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 08:07:28 AM »
Google the name of the drug and you'll get a lot of information particularly if you add "side effects."  Steroids are often used to suppress inflamation, and that would be a plus with your condition. 

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 08:14:35 AM »
I've taken it due to poison ivy allergy. It was prescribed another time but I don't remember why. I never had any increased hair loss from it that I'm aware of. The thing I remember most is the water retention. I looked a little puffy. It sure helped the poison ivy though. Fast.

Had a Boston Terrier that had to take a pred every other day or else she broke out in a rash all over her body. Freakin miracle drug and there WERE long term side effects but certainly worth it considering the "quality of life" contrast the drug made.
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:40:24 PM »
My mother is HIGHLY SENSITIVE to poison ivy (she can get it being in the general vicinity) and generally has to take it when she has an outbreak.  She has no side effects.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 09:06:56 PM »
my daughter has taken it and it makes her HYPER! 

But if it is causing yoru hair to fall out....well taht could be a good thing

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »
Yeah, my grandmother takes that stuff. I really don't know anything about it, other than they had to put her on slew of other drugs to combat the side effects of it. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary toxins in the bloodstream to me.