Author Topic: Avantage: You become part of a brotherhood.  (Read 9852 times)

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Avantage: You become part of a brotherhood.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 08:47:47 PM »
Yes, it is great and it's certainly an ego boost to know that there are so many  that feel the same way we do!!1 Great Brothers2 A wonderful feeling of one's indivdual personalty3 Helps strength of your own personal acceptance4 Sooo I feel grateful for the blessing of being  a part of all this says
It's all about attitude!

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 02:31:47 AM »
It is really awesome knowing this is a brotherhood, we are all warriors!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »
The kinda cool part for me was that going sly was an individual decision. Once I took the leap I was sly for a number of years before I learned of the brotherhood and even the proper application of the word "sly". So I first became sly and then had the pleasure and privilege of joining up.
Most of the sly bros I know were sly before realizing that there is a movement afoot.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 07:35:25 PM »
You've got it SO RIGHT peter!!! That's it, plain and sample!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline Kratos

• Super Sly
  • Finally inked
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 01:16:16 AM »
You've got it SO RIGHT peter!!! That's it, plain and sample!!

Yes Sir!!

Offline ShavedForNow

• Incomparable Sly Guy
  • Sly Jr.
  • Testing out the sly side of life
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if headshavers who have MPB think that those of use who (would) still have a full head of hair are just posers. Fortunately, I haven't seen any evidence of it in my experience.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 08:16:03 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if headshavers who have MPB think that those of use who (would) still have a full head of hair are just posers. Fortunately, I haven't seen any evidence of it in my experience.

Me neither - in fact, one guy I know made a comment about us having no hair whereas another mate has.  I think the SLY guy thought I was bald anyway, and i don't mind if he did! 8)

Offline HateMyHairShadow

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 01:56:50 PM »
The talk about brotherhood, pure crap. If you lost your right leg, would you say an advantage was that you felt like you were a part of the brotherhood people who have lost a lef or two?  :*))

Offline ShavedForNow

• Incomparable Sly Guy
  • Sly Jr.
  • Testing out the sly side of life
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
The talk about brotherhood, pure crap. If you lost your right leg, would you say an advantage was that you felt like you were a part of the brotherhood people who have lost a lef or two?

brotherhood n. An association of men, such as a fraternity or union, united for common purposes.

The only common purposes here are (1) to advise other guys about how best to shave and maintain their shaved heads, and (2) general friendship and fellowship, which certainly includes being able to turn to someone and say "yeah, I've been there, too." Believe it or not, that does help to reassure people, whether they have MPB, are amputees, or whatnot.

[FWIW, I hate my hair shadow, too. But if I keep getting grayer it's going to become invisible.  ;D ]

Offline HateMyHairShadow

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 04:25:27 PM »
That is some funny sh*t dude  :D

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »
The talk about brotherhood, pure crap. If you lost your right leg, would you say an advantage was that you felt like you were a part of the brotherhood people who have lost a lef or two?  :*))

Probably!  

I met a guy with a prosthetic leg while doing some work that involved physical activity.  I was amazed at how he moved around perfectly normal.  The only reason I knew was because he was wearing shorts.  I talked with him about it for a while and it was very fascinating.  I am very confident that if he had met another guy with a leg like his that there'd have been some sort of a brotherhood like bond.

Oh, and my neighbor joined what could be called a brotherhood based on his medical condition.  It's called Diminished Gluteal Syndrome that affects the soft tissues around your rear and the lack of cushioning cases back soreness.  It was kinda sad because even his father used to make fun of him for his treatment.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 02:11:20 PM by Rusty Shackleford »
You don't know me, but I know you.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 02:17:38 PM »
It's strange but I do feel like other bald guys are in my club but rarely ever go up to strangers about it because that would just be weird.  Especially now since bald heads are about as common as any other specific haircut.  On the rare occasons I had to let my hair grow for a week I'd actually feel like a bit of an outcast if I saw a guy with a smooth shaved head.

I had the opposite reaction the other day.  In my business complex I'd sometimes see this one guy who pulled off my shaved head / goatee look perfectly.  Bastard!  Then yesterday I saw him and he had a buzzcut of dark hair over his head!  Why would someone who could pull the look off as perfectly as that regrow their hair?  I wasn't even sure it was him until I saw him get in his car.  Bastard!  How he's squandering his potential instead of showing off!  :)

Offline balddad77

• Sly Jr.
  • Fair winds and following seas!
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 01:49:57 PM »
I was in the Navy and in Law Enforcement.  So I understand the brotherhood thing.  I was in an accident that ended my Law Enforcement career, so I have been missing my brotherhood connections.  I think it's a guy thing.  Women go to the bathroom together, guys bond.  Big difference.  But ever since I became sly, I understand and have noticed the other sly guys.  You don't even realize it sometimes, but you see another sly guy and there is an immediate understanding.  Gotta love it.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090803/samp819057a71e44ad25.jpg[/img] [/url]

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »
When I first found this thread I thought the whole brotherhood aspect was mainly a thing of the past because the look has become as common as any other specific hairstyle.  But then it occurred to me that there's still room for a brotherhood aspect because the upkeep and maintance of the style is unlike almost every other hairstyle.  And just from reading the posts here you can see that it's a hairstyle that people are apprehensive to try, it's like jumping in a pool:  you can sit around on the sides with your legs hanging in the water as far as you can push them (i.e. a buzzcut) but unless you jump in you're not really swimming (bald).  And then once you're swimmimg around you look back and see how sill it was sitting there on the ledge. I don't think guys sit around for weeks and months sweating over whether or not they should part their hair or walk around with that spiky-I-just-got-out-of-the-shower style.