Author Topic: A New Years Eve Plea........PLEASE SBG's and friends...LISTEN to the Hammer  (Read 4679 times)

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
Re: A New Years Eve Plea........PLEASE SBG's and friends...LISTEN to the Hammer
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 11:05:45 PM »
John, nice of you to share your very personal experience with your sly family. 

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
At a time when in Scotland our drink related social problems are spiralling out of control it is great to hear John tell his story. I only wish there were more people like you willing to do so. Scotlands image of beautiful scenery etc is being destroyed by the cycle of drink and violence that is engulfing our inner cities. Thank you John for telling your story You are very brave
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
Thank you John for sharing this story.  Now I would like to encourage anyone who has a drinking problem.  I know that not everyone who has gotten drunk is automatically a alcoholic.  But if you are not able to get by without drinking, please consider AA or Celebrate Recovery.  Everyone knows about AA.  But for those in this group who are Christians, Celebrate Recovery is a Christ-centered 12 Step recovery group, where Christ is the higher power.  Many churches of different stripes have this program.  It is for anyone who has hurts, habits or hangups.  The website is: www.celebraterecovery.com .  The most important thing is, that whatever group appeals to you, please get help!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
Great post... many people have made those trips driving home, not remembering how they did it.  It is only the smart ones who 'clue in' how fortunate they were that nothing happened, and that such incidents should serve as a wake-up call to never let it happen again.  If having a spouse, kids, or anyone who is dependent upon you isn't enough for you to make the right choice, just think how you would feel if you were the one to cause someone else to lose a loved one.  Our brave bald brother Hammer experiences that in a way we never could every time it's reported in the news.  thanks for sharing.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline DJ_Bald

• Super Sly
  • Letting it shine !
Thats a great post...and soooo true. I have many friends of friends who take pleasure in telling everyone how they can "hold their liquor" and proceed to drive home severely buzzed and certainly well over the legal limit. Those same people get "beer muscles" and wind up writing a whole lot of checks that their bodies cant cash.
Alcohol gives you that false confidence into believing you are actually a better driver or a better fighter than you really are. Until you get into an accident or get your arse kicked you never realize just how misleading those feelings of confidence can be......again--great post.
Shave your head.....free your mind.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
This is sorta related to this post, so I am going to go ahead and post it.  For the first time in the last several years, This is the first Christmas/NewYears holiday that no one has been injured or killed in an automobile accident, in Washington Indiana.  Maybe people are starting to wise up some. 

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
I really, really pray you are right Timm. While our local detention center posted 11 DUI arrests for New Years Eve/Day no injuries or deaths were reported.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
First off, what a great post, Hammer.  Truly inspirational and timely - but it can also be used every day of the new year.  Hammer, your words are powerful.  I would suggest that you arrange to speak at some local high schools during the prom/graduation season.  You pack a powerful message and as someone said before, if you save one life it is wonderful.

May God richly bless you.

One of our members mentioned in this thread that this was the first new year's eve that no one was arrested for DUI in his community.  I wish we could say the same thing with my community.  I am the Special District Judge in my county and my 1:30 docket this afternoon is full of DUI cases.  I even received a call on New Years Day morning to set bond a DUI guy who fled police, got on the highway and was fleeing the police with his lights off - into oncoming traffic.  By the grace of God, no one was injured but the possibilities are frightening.

Hammer, I am thankful for you that you learned from your experience and that no one was hurt other than your emotional and financial issues. 

Please continue to share your story.  There are so many folks who could learn from your experience.  May you be blessed with a prosperous and happy 2009.

Sooner Steve
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
SoonerSteve...not sure if you were talking about my post on no one being arrested or not?  I mentioned that no one was Killed or there were no Accidents involving drunk drivers.  I seen in the paper this morning that we only had 3 arrest for DUI's.  Usually seems like the last 5 years or so someone has been killed or seriously injured on New Years Eve. 

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Timm:  I apologize for misreading your post.  I guess I was just excited that some community may have finally realized the dangers of drinking/driving on new years eve and avoided all arrests.  Thankfully no accidents or deaths in your community.  Happy 2009 to you my friend. 

Sooner Steve
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Its quit alright Steve, I wish I could have reported what you misread.  I really do not think something like that will ever happen.  There are always going to be someone out there ya know.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
Hammer, thank you for your post.  Really hits close to home.  My parents were both alcoholics.  So many accidents, but fortunately no one was hurt.  The property damage and lose of cash was enormous.  Wish they could have read your post, perhaps just perhaps it would have hit home.  Thanks again!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am