Author Topic: SHOULD BLACK MEN SHAVE HEAD GO AGAINST THE GRAIN  (Read 38425 times)

Offline Park99

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: SHOULD BLACK MEN SHAVE HEAD GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 04:52:34 PM »
Alright guys thank for yall input. I have learn alot from this site. Also I have been shave my head going with the grain for a little while. I shave every night since my hair grow a little fast if I do it every other day. It dont sit too well for me to shave every other day since it put too much hair on the blade and it hard for all the hair to wash out. And it seem easier to do it every night. It help keep it smooth.    O0

Offline bigdaddydsl

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 03:28:19 PM »
Hello Park

I'm new to this site but as a black man when I shave my head the first thing I do is use some balding clippers to get the hair  as short as possible. I then rinse my head with hot water (as hot as I can stand ) then I use a shaving gel called Bump Fighter. I use a triple blade shaver and I go with the grain of the hair . Once all the hair is gone I rub my hand over my head and the areas where I feel stubble I will shave against the grain and that gives me a smooth shave. After I'm done I rinse my head with hot water again then I use a bump fighter after shave hope this helps

Offline Park99

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 05:42:51 PM »
Welcome to the site Bigdqddydsl.
 Yeah I know I do feel the stubble, when I go with the grain. But I am worry about getting razor bump if I go against the grain. I went against the grain when I first start shaving. and the the bump pop up on my neck and a little above the neck.

Offline choochman

• It's all about Attitude...
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 04:53:45 PM »
It's not just the Black guys that have this problem, brother. Italian men like myself feel your pain as well. The bottom line is sensitive skin and course hair. I can't even think about going against the grain on my face or all hell will break loose. I am having the same issue on my head. 

Our Bald Brothers on this site are very wise in the ways of the Sly, so I would try every suggestion they throw out. I know I am! It's hard to imagine hyper-sensitive skin and wire-course hair unless you live with it. It's a cruel trick I think...

If you follow the pre-shave routine, the shave routine and the post-shave routine mentioned, you will find your path.

I began thinking the same way you are. I wanted a completely smooth head. Then I got tired of letting the ingrown hairs heal up (and there are many with us) and it dawned on me that I have been living without a baby-smooth shave on my face for many years, so why would I think my head would be different?

I havent dug into the archives very deeply, but maybe there is some info on waxing your head or using Depilatory (hair removing cream) for that baby-smooth feel. I would be interested to know if those methods are a viable option for us.

Meanwhile, hang in there. We will all figure this out together. That is why we are here as "Brothers in Arms", so to speak.  Good luck and keep us posted.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:59:23 PM by choochman »

BALDANDRE

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »
It's not just the Black guys that have this problem, brother. Italian men like myself feel your pain as well. The bottom line is sensitive skin and course hair. I can't even think about going against the grain on my face or all hell will break loose. I am having the same issue on my head. 

Our Bald Brothers on this site are very wise in the ways of the Sly, so I would try every suggestion they throw out. I know I am! It's hard to imagine hyper-sensitive skin and wire-course hair unless you live with it. It's a cruel trick I think...

If you follow the pre-shave routine, the shave routine and the post-shave routine mentioned, you will find your path.

I began thinking the same way you are. I wanted a completely smooth head. Then I got tired of letting the ingrown hairs heal up (and there are many with us) and it dawned on me that I have been living without a baby-smooth shave on my face for many years, so why would I think my head would be different?

I havent dug into the archives very deeply, but maybe there is some info on waxing your head or using Depilatory (hair removing cream) for that baby-smooth feel. I would be interested to know if those methods are a viable option for us.

Meanwhile, hang in there. We will all figure this out together. That is why we are here as "Brothers in Arms", so to speak.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Nice bald mugshot you got there choochman!

Post in the intro section to get your proper welcome!

The bald head fits ya bro!!! O0

Offline ripped53

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 08:57:06 PM »
Hey Park99, I've been absent for a while but I'm glad you decided to join the sly family.  I've got several post on the site describing how I've continuously tried to balance the desire to be completely smooth with the reality of razor bumps.  I think I have tried every shaving method and black mans shaving cream, razor, bump fighter cream and gel, and depilatory out there.  By no means do I claim to be an expert, but I've been shaving my head for over 12 years now.  Based on my experience I'd say no to shaving against the grain on the back of your head, as for the top and sides I'd say go for it.

I've found the most success after joining this site.  A tale of my story can be found here: "Click Here - And Scroll down a little and read my post"

I've consistently been using a combination of Head Blade Sport triple blade, headwash, headshed, headslick mixed with shave secret oil, a cold water rinse, followup with witch hazel and Scalp Doctor. I shave from front to back all across my head (From forhead and temples to neck line).  I shave daily. I use to shave every other day, but have learned that daily shaving although tedious provides the best results.  I touch up around my ears and right at my neck line with the edger blade on my Fusion razor.  I shave while in the shower and have gotten it down to about 5 minutes or less.

Shaving against the grain on the top and sides works perfectly well for me, but shaving against the grain in the back, particularly around my neckline is a NO WIN situation. I've learned to deal with it.  But daily shaving and use of the headblade with the products mentioned about keep me the smoothest and most razor bump free that I have been since shaving (consistantly).

So if you get a minute read the link I posted above, and really you have to try different things to see what works best for you. I use to be an avid bumpfighter and bump patrol user, but the Scalp doctor product has both of those product beat hands down.  I think you are on the right track using the head blade.  I'd suggest going over the entire head at least twice, and try touching up problem areas with the fusion.  The headblade, headslick, and shave secret oil provide an incredibly close shave.  The cold water rinse closes your pores, the witchhazel cleans, and the Scalp doctor cleans, protects, and prevents razor bumps. Give em a try.

Good luck.  If I can help out any further just let me know.  And welcome to the sly family once again.
Sly and Shiny......Ingrown hairs are my enemy....

Offline Park99

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 05:40:22 AM »
Thank for the information Ripped53. Well I will try go against the grain on top of my head and on the side.