Author Topic: Baldspiration  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Reykjavik

• Sly Guy in Training
Baldspiration
« on: December 01, 2008, 02:08:26 PM »
When I was sixteen I had a longtime bass teacher who I'd see every week. At the time I didn't have many people in my life. I was schooled at home, extremely ill, and generally not feeling to good about this whole "living" thing. Nick [my teacher] always managed to cheer me up and point me in the right direction somehow. Those weekly lessons meant a lot to me.

I remember my first lesson I was sitting in the waiting room, nervous, then he pops open the door and is standing there with glammetal shoulder-length hair at about 40 years old. I remember thinking "oh sweet Jesus" and expecting him to break out into some sort of solo right then and there. When we started the lesson I had my eye on a fly the was literally getting tangled in his hair.

Anyway, what I'm basically getting at was Nick ended up being one cool and very helpful dude - regardless of how he looked. He was the definition of sly and I could never picture him without his hair. One day, I walked in and there his head was fully shaved. All that hair - gone.

Did he care? Was he like me, shy and depressed - hating what cards he was dealt? No. He was confident, laughing, talking to me about how stoaked he was for thanksgiving. I remember him even talking about this asian girl he was going to make a move on.

The point is Nick was still Nick. I didn't once think he looked awful, I was too busy having a good time. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in vanity and my hair that I forget about the things that really are important. Plus, I actually remember leaving that day thinking he looked great.

I left for summer vacation one year and never had the chance to go back for another lesson because my family moved abruptly. No goodbye's or anything, which I regret. But I looked up the company and found Nick is still kickin' it, rocking a shaved head, and teaching.

Cheers to you Nick, and I'm still learning from your slyness. O0

Just figured I'd share.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:22:29 PM by Reykjavik »

Offline Mr. Wilson

• Sly
Re: Baldspiration
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 02:24:29 PM »
He was probably wearing a bald cap :D

Offline Reykjavik

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »
He was probably wearing a bald cap :D
;D You never know.
Though I'm betting its shaved ;)

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »
Nice story...thanks for sharing !!    O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 06:54:52 PM »

The point is Nick was still Nick.

Exactly.  When you get right down to it, a headshave is just a haircut.  There's more to you than just your hair.  I think most of us at one point or another tend to define ourselves by our hair and hide behind it to a certain extent.  That's why shaving it off can be so therapeutic.  Without hair, you have to find other things to concentrate on.  It's kind of like doing home improvements -- you redo one room and then you notice that the next room needs some work.  The same principle applies here -- you solve your hair "problem" and then you're free to work on other thing that might need some work.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 05:05:54 AM »
Great story Rey!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
Great story Nick
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 09:51:24 AM »
Yes, great story Rey.  I think I will print it out and give it to this narrow minded neighbor who has been giving me grief and the cool shoulder.  Thanks!
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »
Great story.

Enter your email address: