Author Topic: When did cool, sly guy Ed Harris....  (Read 17591 times)

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: When did cool, sly guy Ed Harris....
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 05:21:24 AM »
amen brother!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 07:14:07 AM »
Well said, Nomad!  O0

For those of you that were members of SBG when I signed up in late 2006, you might remember that I promised The Lovely Mrs. Schro that I wouldn't shave my head until New Year's Day 2007 (just in case of family holiday pictures...shock value I guess). Well, I began buzzing it with a #1 clipper guard during the 2006 Christmas Season. I absolutely loved the look and received a ton of compliments! I would probably keep the #1 buzz setting if it weren't for the fact of the relief I get from sebhorreic dermatitis by shaving my head.

So, like Nomad said, this site is about helping guys deal with male pattern baldness the best way possible and a shot of confidence.....oh, and having fun meeting some great people!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:26:44 AM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »
I think the shoe looks good on some people. What doesn't look so good is that thin wispy hair on top that someone is trying to style to make up for lack of density. I think the bald head with the hair on the sides is a masculine look as long as they don't grow it out to look like bozo the clown. Comon, that looks silly. Ed Harris looks good.

I go a week at times without shaving and don't mind my MPB at all. In fact I think the stubble looks good. I'm a man, a 40 year old man and I don't find MPB the least bit embarrassing. Thankfully it looks better shaved, clipped or stubble. I've come to realize that my lack of self confidence wasn't so much my MPB but was more the bad style I thought I was stuck with.

I have yet to see a good looking comb over or sprayed wispy doo.

---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 08:15:02 AM »
The following message is parts and bits of Nomads message to this thread........Very Well said Nomad.  Now...can we all get ourselves back down here to a reg. level and start having fun in here again.  I am just sitting back and relaxing...enjoying the site...I have had my beers and now Im ready to get to rollin again....

Timmay

The purpose of this site is to help those who have a problem with MPB. It is a place for them to come and get a bit of confidense back from us and the things that we have gone through........

We have always told the fencers that they needed to do what makes them feel better about themselves no matter if they shaved or not................

I do think we need to start playing nice and quit this stupid sh*t. We are ADULTS here and we should be able to have an opinion without some one bashing us or getting there feelings hurt. We need to grow up and quit picking on people and getting all bent out of shape when someone does make a comment that we might not like, so let it roll off your shoulder and move the hell on...........

So stop bashing or picking on people, for whatever reason, and if some just has to make a stupid comment that might just offend you then just say screw it and move on to one of hundreds of other great topics to read and respond to............

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 08:34:35 PM »
Sure, they're fair game and that's all good.  Just like any topic is fair game.  But you don't consider calling whatever you are talking about "awful" a form of bashing someone?  What if someone said that because you shaved your head you look "awful?"  Now being honest, tell me that you would not be a little offended.  I bet then you would consider that someone "bashing" you for shaving your head. 

My mother has told me on a number of occasions (though not recently) that my shaved head looks awful.  I didn't feel as though I were being bashed.  I don't really care if other people don't like my shaved head.  It's their problem, not mine.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 08:48:37 PM »
I do agree that every time a thread is started about someone with MPB and we've made stupid comments about they're hair, whether its intended to be in juest or not it is still bashing. I remember a thread where Carlin stated a similar comment about shaved white guys and we all took major offense. Guess what. same same.

It's not the same.  The Carlin comments, as I recall, were rather offensive.  Calling someone a "goofy, baldy-headed f**k" and saying that someone should be strapped to a gurney and castrated with a fishing knife are way over the top.  How do you draw a moral equivalency between that, and this particular thread, which started with a post that basically said that Ed Harris would look better if he shaved his head?

I don't think anyone needs to leave over this but, I do think we need to start playing nice and quit this stupid sh*t. We are adults here and we should be able to have an opinion without some one bashing us or getting there feelings hurt. We need to grow up and quit picking on people and getting all bent out of shape when someone does make a comment that we might not like. Just like we tell the newbies, it really has no effect on our own lives what some one else might think of a certain comment, so let it roll off your shoulder and move the hell on.

I love this site and shaving my head as much if not more than the next member here, but I also don't agree with everything that goes on all the time, but there is alot that I do agree with so it does balance out.

So stop bashing or picking on people, for whatever reason, and if some just has to make a stupid comment that might just offend you then just say screw it and move on to one of hundreds of other great topics to read and respond to.

Once again, I have to say this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.  I really don't understand why some of you are so upset by this thread.  I would have thought that a comment that someone would look better with a shaved head on a forum devoted to headshaving would be somewhat non-controversial.   ???

BALDANDRE

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 09:18:45 PM »
I would have thought that a comment that someone would look better with a shaved head on a forum devoted to headshaving would be somewhat non-controversial.   ???

Really it was kinda weird guys...we are all fully bald here...and full of confidence BECAUSE of it whether BBC or MPB...do not forget that and how YOU felt before you shaved your head smooth..

great he has confidence to wear it...more power to him.. but it's an ugly look (what's the comb over thread about anyways?!?)..

I just think some of us have forgotten how empowering it was once we did it..and should NOT take it for granted...

Balding dudes come here for help..not for us to say "buck up and embrace what you look like, it's what dudes do...and offer no encouragement to shave it smooth and regain their confidence"...

I hope you get what I mean....

Just remember this though, this place is called SLY BALD GUYS, not SLY BALDING GUYS...

and we all know there is a HUGE difference between the two..

if there wasn't you wouldn't be here and there would be a heck of a lot more depressed MPB dudes out there thinking that hair restoration is their only option and they've been dealt the worst card ever...

Don't mean to ramble...but I think these types of places and encouragment are important...I hope you all get what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:20:46 PM by BALDANDRE »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »
hey dre:  (standing up in front of the computer & applauding).  amen, brah! O0 O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »
hey dre:  (standing up in front of the computer & applauding).  amen, brah! O0 O0

WARHAWK O0

Thanks WH! O0

Offline don

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 11:04:40 PM »
Listen up. If you're handsome you're gonna be handsome with hair,no hair and thinning hair. And if you're ugly you're gonna be ugly with all these things. Jason Statham is living proof of that.He looks great. The things that make a person ugly are rotten,missing and crooked teeth and a big nose.Whatever is going on on the top of your head is fine as long as it's groomed well.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »
Listen up. If you're handsome you're gonna be handsome with hair,no hair and thinning hair. And if you're ugly you're gonna be ugly with all these things. Jason Statham is living proof of that.He looks great. The things that make a person ugly are rotten,missing and crooked teeth and a big nose.Whatever is going on on the top of your head is fine as long as it's groomed well.

True to a point..but you can't tell me guy's looks (around here for example, just check out some before and afters)...there is NO WAY you can say their looks weren't improved,,,

thus making them "better looking"..really it's crazy we're having THIS conversation on THIS forum?!? :/O

This place is the place that promotes that shaving your head smooth will possibly help to both build up ones confidence and improve their looks.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 08:18:30 AM »
..really it's crazy we're having THIS conversation on THIS forum?!? :/O

Yeah, I feel like we've entered The Twilight Zone or something.   ???

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »
You guys are missing the point

Yes we promote shaving, BUT we don't condemn or pick on those that are very comfortable with who they are no matter if the shave or not.

Thats what kids in grade school do, they're not like us so lets make fun of them, that is not what we're all about.

I'm with you all the way about shaving being the best thing going to combat hair loss and build confidence

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »
Did you see the dog chasing its tail at the park this morning?
Kinda feel the same way reading this thread.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 06:40:40 PM »
Did you see the dog chasing its tail at the park this morning?
Kinda feel the same way reading this thread.

Like I said, it's like The Twilight Zone.

Enter your email address: